Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running Baal as a Summoner

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by chickenhed, May 20, 2005.

1. chickenhed

chickenhed IncGamers Member

Running Baal as a Summoner

I was hoping to get some advice here. I am generally following a great guide on the strategy site for a skellymancer. However, I very much would like to use him to fun Baal in hell. However, I dont have any good crushing blow items. How would you guys suggest killing baal in hell, as the skellies will very likely die quite quickly. My setup has a lot or room to play

20 RS
    20 SM
    10-20 CE
    1 into most curses
    1-5 in revive

Thats it. What should I put my remaining points into in order to most effectively kill baal?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

It is not so that the Skellies will die quickly. The problem is that it will take a while for them to kill Baal. CB is added to speed things up. You can get a CB weapon for your Merc easily. Just make the Strength runeword. That is 25% CB right there. You could try trading for other CB items.

Also you can Revive some monsters with crushing blow. All the Urdar types have CB.

Put a point in Summon Resist if you haven't already. The other points don't matter much. You could try pumping Mages. They can add damage thus bringing Baal down faster.

3. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Add Guillaume's Face together with strength and you got 60%... :)

4. cracked sash

cracked sash IncGamers Member

My necro might merc has ideal Baal running gear.

The unique Hone Sundan Yari has a natural 45% crushing blow. The Guillaume's Face Winged Helm from the Orphan's Call set adds another 35%. My ladder Yari was eth, so I upped it and socketed it with 2x Shael (which reaches its fastest bp), and lastly a BER rune(+20% CB) giving my merc 100% CB and over 700 dmg. For leech he wears a +7ll Archon CoH.

A cheeper version of this set-up would include a Rattlecage with a Amn instead of a Ber in the Yari.

Having a CB might merc is much better than trying to get your necro in melle range with hell baal, anyday.

-Sash

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

There's lots of reasonably cheap items and weapons with CB. Guillaume's and Goblin Toe boots are pretty easy to acquire. Also runewords black and strength are very easy to make and the low tier Crush Flange pops up so frequently most players don't even bother to sell it to one of the shopkeepers when they learn to recognize which unique it is.

Skellies just don't kill bosses fast unless you have insane aura gear (Beast and/or Pride) and even then I think there are builds that kill bosses faster. However, they do kill bosses very safely when combined with decrepify and a clay golem to slow them down. I think their attacks will actually interrupt boss attacks since I've had some boss battles last for a couple minutes but they didn't seem to get more than 1 or 2 attacks off. With ice mages or a chilling weapon on your merc to slow them down even further killing bosses is a total cakewalk with a summoner.

So, give your merc Guillaume's and a polearm with CB (Obedience is a great merc runeword polearm available to players that have plenty of mid-level runes kicking around) and try giving yourself something on switchout as well.

And yes, if you don't have Summon Resist, you won't even make it past Normal Diablo without help.

6. chickenhed

As always, great and helpful information from the necro forum. Thanks a lot for your advice, guys. I will start setting up my merc with some cheap CB items :) and I will make sure to have a point or two in summon resists.

Should I put more than the 1 point i have into clay golem and Golem mastery to help him tank baal? or should i just re-summon him when he dies?

Thanks again!

7. Pherdnut

He's cheap to resummon and with enough +skills you'll hardly need to resummon him at all. Even in Hell. If you want to crank up his slow ability you could put more points into CG (not mastery) but ~ 50% has proven to be good enough for me and that comes pretty easily once you start getting +skill equipment. I'd make the decision after you're getting towards your end game and are wondering where to put spare points. Some of the curses like Attract and Dim Vision can be nice to have extra points for and a lot of people like to boost corpse explode's radius, but again, I'd wait until you've maxed what you want to max and have a good idea of what your end game gear is going to be like before enhancing those abilities. They all work quite well with only a few +skills and one point invested.

8. chickenhed

Yeah, I was finding him rather durable in hell as well. Thanks for the advice.

Lastly (for some reason my mind is at a blank with this), which monster types are Urdars and where can they be found?

EDIT: I think I remember now. are these the guys that spawn in act 4, at the river of flame?

9. Mad Mantis

They are also known as Blunderbore, Mauler, Urdar or Gorebelly.

10. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

by your post i guess you don't have those most likely duped stuff like enigma, which is not really bad at all.

- Any extra pt in Clay G or G Mastery is a waste, unless you don't plan to use +skill stuff on your baalrun necro (you run Hell baal, not Normal, right?)

- With some +skills and a good army, no CG can easily get killed in Hell. In fact, I resummon my own CG much more often than he dies, in order to reposition him to the right spot, though my favorite golem in fighting mobs (~90% of play time, I guess) is Fire.

- This is just a tip based on my own xp, assuming the necro can't tele: to prevent his army to vanish prematurely, the necro must be the first to rush to baal. As soon as Baal appears on the edge of the screen, he must cast CG on top of Baal. He must decrypify Baal and then run over to Baal's other side, this will drag his entire army to climb up Baal to drown him to death. - In a worst case, this may a mess. If so, quickly TP to down and back, and everything will be okay.

- The problem with a Might merc is: if your army is big, your merc may not be able to strike Baal. if your army is small, your merc may get killed really quickly. there is some balance here you have to find out. It'll be much better to have a party, and rely more on your party member(s), instead of a crippled merc, for damaging act bosses in Hell.

11. Shako

Shako Banned

Wait, does the crushing blow on you and your merc transfer over to your skeles?

12. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Crushing blow is for your merc to help him kill bosses faster...so if you have a G-face...put it on the merc for that reason.

It only works for your merc if he's wearing it...not your skeletons.

HoS

13. bergbusen

bergbusen IncGamers Member

i use the weapon with +4 skill (dont know name), and shako +2 (tot 6 +skill). to beef up my might aura, and then use duress armor 15 cb. If u just throw life tap on baal o few times, start of with decref, amp damage, life tap. And he cant do nothing, and make always have your clay golem hitting him. I got 15 skellies and 13 mages. It works realy fine. (and i got no revies, i personally hate em.)

14. Mad Mantis

The only things that carry over to your Skellies are MF, GF and you clvl for determining their chance-to-hit.

15. Shako

Shako Banned

Oh thanks, I wasn't sure, that would be pretty pimp if cb did transfer to them. :lol:

16. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

here is my cb setup:

eth obedience thresher
    guillames
    4x ias armor of the whale (need at least 3)

i dont use lifeleech on merc, because i found out that i didnt need it. as long as he has tanks, he does just fine without leech.

17. Quezi

Quezi IncGamers Member

I think you are better off loading up on MF gear and clearing the various underground ice tunnle things.

The last ladder a friend of mine found a whole lot of nice stuff that way 0_0

Thats the nice thing about skellymancer, you dont really need + skills so long as you just use your skells as a wall, your merc as the direct damage and after that you just use a highish level CE. You can devote just about everything to getting MF.

Infact i think skellymancer is the best first MF character now. Sorc can do things like NM meph easy, but a skellymancer can go straight to act 5 hell with helm and armor loaded with p topazes and cheap runeword/store bought MF gear and just walk around CEing the crap out of things while your minions draw fire=D

You get more pgems and runes this way too~

18. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

actually, I have a partial trangs poison/skeleton summoner (shield/gloves/armor), with other minor skills stuff, and some magic find. while i have found baal to be pretty easy himself, does anyone have any ideas on what to do with oblivion knights? those are the bane of nearly every character I make.

--welt

19. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I just ignore them.

Well, almost :) If OKs are around, first thing I do is take away the weapon my merc --- he has suicidal tendencies, and a Skelemancer is probably the only build where a weaponless A2 merc survives easily :)

Then I just kill those OKs --- if a Skeleton Warrior dies I just raise a new one, and more often than not the IM gets overriden by another OK anyway. If not and I get the area cleared, I wait for the curse to time out (that's one of the reasons why I never open the last seal in chaos sanctuary before I really want Diablo to show up --- this means I can wait for curses to time out before dealing with Diablo).

Note that I have maxed CE and mages, so there is always some damage that isn't affected by IM. I'm also wearing full trangs, so I have a very effective firewall to help out.

It works fine, most of the time. Every once in a while I get a bad monster combo, like some hard-hitting high-HP fire immunes with OKs somewhere in the back; in that case I just retreat, to draw the FIs away from the OKs, possibly even TPing back to town to get a fresh army. It doesn't happen often, though.

Also, throw Gumby ahead. OKs seem to leave some time between curses, so if they curse Gumby they won't curse your Skeletons, at least for some time. Also, if they curse Gumby the curse affects the area around Gumby, probably htting fewer skeletons...
    Doesn't always work, of course, but it doesn't hurt to give them a punchball as target in any case...

20. Pherdnut

At the worst you'll easily be able to TP out when you get IM'd by OKs and your skellies start dying but Dim Vision, confuse, or attract is usually good enough to shut them down. The crowd control curses are an extremely powerful aid to survivability of all necro builds.