Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running 2 Copies of D2 on WinXP

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Hoopiness, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Hoopiness

Hoopiness IncGamers Member

Running 2 Copies of D2 on WinXP

Hiya,

I've read various references to people running 2 copies of D2 on their machines. I'm on WinXP at the moment, so if someone could fill me in on the whole story, from what I need to do it or reasons why I shouldn't, it'd be much appreciated :)

I had another muling accident and it was the straw that broke the camel's back so I'm curious. I know I'll have to buy another copy of D2 etc, but that's fine.

Cheers
    Blitzy

2. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

You will need to install diablo 2 in a different directory. The best way of doing this is to rename your current folder ("diablo II (2)" for example.

The discs will autorun and allow an install. You will also need a modified *.dll file in both diablo II directories. After that you'll be good to roll on both copies. Sorry I can't be specific about the actual name of the *.dll, but I'm sure someone here can help you out.

Hope that helps.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IIRC you have to install it for two different user accounts and perhaps both need admin privileges. I'm not sure if both instances can access the same CD, but as we know, Windows is such a great mutlitasking OS that it might be possible :lol:

I admit that I never tried it with WinXP. I have two computers at home, one running WinME, one running good old Win98SE :D

4. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Both instances can run off of the same CD. I run 2 copies of D2 on my compy that has WinXP on it. I didn't know about the two different user accounts. The other copy I use has my brother's name on it, so it could be possible.

5. gismo

gismo IncGamers Member

http://people.clemson.edu/~troper/d2gfx.dll

There is the d2gfx.dll that is needed to run two copies.

Ok. Install the game twice on your pc. You will need different cd keys for each so 4 total keys in all. You will have to rename the first d2 folder before you can install a second copy on your pc.

Then log both versions onto bnet to update the patches.

Then replace the old d2gfx.dll file in both d2 folders with the new one.

Then create a shortcut from the "Diablo II" icon in the first folder. Then create a shortcut from the "Game" icon in the second folder. The "Game" icon will be right below the "Diablo II" icon but it will not have a picture just a name.

Then to start up both copies just click on the first shortcut you created. Once that game is loaded minimize it then click on the indivisble icon to start up the second copy.

You can have two characters from the same account in a game at once but not in chat at the same time. So you will have to load one character up into a game. Then switch over and log on with the other character. If you have any questions or problems just ask.

6. Hoopiness

Hoopiness IncGamers Member

Cheers folks, I'll give that a try now :)

Edit: Works perfectly, thanks mate, appreciated.

7. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Or there's a very handy tool, d2loader. Not sure if it's allowed to talk about it here, but I'm sure you find the needed info by using google.

8. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

It's not. D2Loader is a third-party program, and is therefore not allowed here.

9. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

I have 2 copies installed and didn't have to download anything to make it happen. No altered .dll files, or d2loader. It's quite easy to do, and utilizes the user switch option. Takes a few minutes to get everything set up, but not difficult at all. You don't need admin priviledges on both or anything special either. Just have to rename your Diablo II folder temporarily so you can run both copies. The only downfall is the time it takes to switch users, but I can still self rush normal in 20-30 minutes if the doors are positioned nicely. I've got probably 3-4 different posts that have it fully explained, can drag out a link if you care for the details.

~Bails