Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Runewords Questions

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Mitch Turnbuckle, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle IncGamers Member

Runewords Questions

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the following 2 Runewords.

Doom 5 Socket Axes/Polearms/Hammers
    Hel + Ohm + Um + Lo + Cham

Hand of Justice 4 Socket Weapons
    Sur + Cham + Amn + Lo

First: For the Doom RW, what exactly constitutes a hammer (Mauls and warhammers only)?

Second: For both RW's, what is the fastest 1 handed weapon I could use to socket these in?

All I can seem to find is an elite cryptic sword (for Hand O' Justice - 4 sockets), and nothing desireable in a 5-socket axe or hammer (polearms are 2-handed of course) for Doom. Any input, or other options I missed?

On a related note, how many auras can you have active at one time? Does this include your Merc?

2. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

For Doom, War Spike axe is the fastest (-10 base speed), though I'd go with a Beserker if going one-handed (0 base speed but better damage and range).

For HoJ, the fastest would be a Phase blade (-30 base speed)

There is no hard limit to the number of active auras you can have. Of course you will be limited by the number of aura yielding items you and your merc can wear.

3. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Double Post.

4. Mitch Turnbuckle

Thanks for the reply Bjam.

I had thought that the item to socket the Runeword in had to have the exact number of empty slots required by the formula. This unfortunately eliminates both the berserker axe and the phase blade (which would be perfect of course!), leaving only the crappy ettin axe or the aforementioned cryptic sword.

5. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

You can use the items I mentioned, but you will have to use the H cube to socket them or get lucky enough to find them socketed as desired. Larzuk will give the max number of sockets, but they can have less.

6. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Wait wait wait wait one dang old min.

First off, hammers are orge muals, lengdary mallets, and thunder muals.

Second what do you want with a doom and a hand of justice?

7. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

If your gonna make a Doom for a werewolf , only worthwhile weapon makin it in would be a non ethereal Great Poleaxe.

Ive been plannin on makin one myself
    Im pretty sure it would be a 9/5 fury weapon wich is decent fury speed.

8. Mitch Turnbuckle

Thanks for the replies. . .

The reason I'd like Doom (or to a lesser extent Hand O' Justice) is purely hypothetical. If for instance you used an act II merc with Infinity, and used Doom (einhander) + Pheonix (shield) + Dream (Helm) + Dragon (armor) you would have all three elemental auras in concert with conviction, this combined with an Armageddon bear (which will be my next project once my current Hunger/Mauler hybrid bear has completed Hell) would be both fun (imho) and effective at least for PVM. Not to mention the multiple fire based ctc's associated with this combination of RW's. Hence, why both Doom or Hand O' Justice would need to be one handed weapons. Hand O' Justice is just another route where the Holy Freeze aura is replaced by -20% enemy fire resistance among other mods, which would give you -48% enemy fire resistance in concert with Pheonix . . . this doesn't even include the - resistance from the merc's Conviction aura. Also, by having the Holy Freeze aura on Doom, it allows me to use a Defiance, or even a stupid Thorns merc (as there's no need for a Might merc as physical offense is irrelevant to this build), at least I'll have a little more choice.

Like I said it's purely hypothetical!

9. xpumafangx

Ok was a little bit worryed that you might try a werewolf with hoj, and phineox. The only mager issue with phineox is the ctc on it stops you from attacking forcing you to not have a attack for that time. Why any one using one should have trouble with any for of melee, and shooting attack.

10. Mitch Turnbuckle

Please forgive my ignorance, but I still don't understand how can a 5 socket RW (Doom) be made from a 6 socket weapon like a Great Poleaxe!?

Quote from Bjam "Larzuk will give the max number of sockets, but they can have less."
    Nevermind, I didn't get that on the first read-through. This however means that I can find a 4 or 5 socket phase blade correct? The damage would be lower, but there is no need for physical damage anyway with this build, what I'd need is attack speed to trigger the ctc's.

11. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

The chances of larzuk giving a Great poleaxe 5 sockets are super slim.

Best bet is too mf for one and hope a non eth 5 socket Great poleaxe will drop from a monster.

12. xpumafangx

Mitch see the thing is this. If 6 is the maxed amount of socts, like a great pole axe for say. It means when you find a great pole axe that is all ready socted. It could have 1-6 socts in it all ready. Also if you find a broken or cracked greater pole axe then fix that with the cube. It will get 5 socts instead.

13. Mitch Turnbuckle

Thanks for all the helpful information,

I am relieved to know that it is at least possible to get a weapon with less than max sockets. It makes perfect sense now as not every item that drops has the maximum number of sockets.

How do I fix an item with the Cube, and what makes it then (in the example of the Greater Poleaxe) have specifically 5 sockets?

14. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

If you find a cracked gpa or low quality etc... put it in your cube with a eld rune and any chipped gem. This normals the weapon, but leaves it a lower level then if it had dropped as a normal to begin with. Level requirements affect max sockets, and you should get 5 sockets instead of 6 from Larzuk. The performance of the weapon will be the same as a normal though so don't worry about getting a weaker gpa.

15. Mitch Turnbuckle

Clay Bizzle & everyone else,

Thanks for the concise answers, this has helped clarify a lot, as well as confirming that the lofty requirements for this hypothetical item combination can indeed be achieved; i.e. I can have my cake and eat it too . . .

16. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Every socketable item may have a number of sockets between 1-X where X is the max possible number of sockets. So you can find a beserker with 1-6 sockets etc etc.