Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Runewords, Annihilus, and torches?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Frozen Orb, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

Runewords, Annihilus, and torches?

Yes, I know they arent in single player, but I was just curious as to if there was a reason for this?

2. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

To screw SPers and try to force them to play on b.net :evil:

Although I'm glad we don't have annihilus and/or torch. They are WAY overpowered and would make the game a lot easier, I'm glad SPers use ability instead of power items to play the game.

Atlhough I would like to have the diablo clone and/or uber tristam quest just to play against the bosses, I don't want the prize, just to fight them

Edit: @Nex, well, I do type somewhat fast, so, sorry for twn (typing own) you..... you're twn!!! Nah, bad joke..........

3. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Because Blizzard hates the fact that some people still play single player games, they want all of us to play online and pay for it every month. So they are trying to teach us that if we want full version of game we have to play on bnet... and then when one day D3 comes out nobody will be surprised when damn thing probably won't even have single player mode :rolleyes:

A_m, stop owning me with your too fast replies :wink3:

4. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Well, I can only imagine what it would be like to have the anni and torches ... jeez.

That's another +4 all skills, huge resists and stat bonuses ... all for 3 spaces. Nice.

All those resists allow you to potentially swap out gear so you can use more optimal gear. Wow, even better.

5. TurinT

TurinT IncGamers Member

I actually made a big stink about this when I switched over to SP... As it was explained to me, you don't need a CD Key to play SP. Therefore Blizzard isn't keen on including expanded content to SP i.e. as Arreat_mercenary said, to force play on BNet. i.e. get all the money.

6. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

I won't even guess the reason for this. However, you can enable the ladder only rune words using the Rune Word Mod. :smiley:

Edit: Oh, I see you're a Vanilla player. Should've checked before I posted my reply. The reason I'm not is because I want to have access to those rune words. The only two I've been able to use is Spirit and Insight. Maybe these features will be enabled in a future patch or game.

7. Are

Are IncGamers Member

I thought B.Net was free?

Anyway, the main reasons I personally don't play on B.Net are my crappy internet connection + dupes :)

8. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

D2 b.net is free, but WoW is not. UO was the first major mmorpg which I know of which wasn't free.
    Companies are reducing the SP experience so people will go to the MP side. When there's enough to the MP side, they'll probably charge for it.

Look at blizzard over the years.
    Warcraft: Dunno, but probably no MP at all (?)
    SC/D1 (same time I think): Great SP/MP
    D2: Originally great MP (economy, interaction, trading, Uber quests, but ruined by hacks/dupes/buying it4mz etc) and a good SP which lacks the mentioned traits of MP, as well as RW's, Uber quest, etc.
    They're loosening up on the SP side to encourage people to go to MP.
    WC3: No idea, but mostly MP?
    WoW: MP only.

Wait, where'd the SP side go? Most people have cable/dsl+ now, so that also helps in getting people to goto MP.

9. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I very much doubt all of this conspiracy theory! :D

They dont want to enforce online play because they will lose a large percentage of their custom base.

However, online players tend to be the ones who complain the loudest and who form communities (the SP forum was a very late development here - maybe 2 years after release!)

I also have to disagree with A_M on 1 thing - nowadays, it seems like a significant part of the SPer community is totally bound to their items too. Most strategy requests on this forum are answered by "equip X item" which is not very SP friendly in my opinion.

My answer to this question is simply that the online side of D2 is a much bigger focus. The numbers of people playing Bnet is still huge, and together with an online community comes the need for extensions to e-peens and the like. Continual evolution over years breeds a demand for more and more uber equipment (just like WoW is doing!) so Bnetters literally need these all powerful itamz or others laugh at them. I can't begin to describe what it was like years ago trying to explain to people that I couldn't just wear a shaftstop because I didnt have one.... nor a SoJ..... folk just didn't understand why people would play SP if they couldnt have ublar itamz!

D2 has always been focused on Bnet, there have always been things you could get or do online that you couldn't in SP. 1.09 was really the true birth of SP because you could finally get any class through Hell without investing weeks of your life into 1 character thanks to the "players x" command. Prior to that it was hard - really hard - as I am sure many will remember. I played 2 or 3 main characters in SP for at least a year prior to LoD and the highest was about level 70 and would never have got higher without the "players" command.

SO I dont think it is a conspiracy towards entrenching online play into the mindset of their customers, but it is more of a focus for Blizzard - this is where they think the money is. I very very much doubt they will ever remove a SP option in any of their non-MMORPG's.

10. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

SP players are few and far between compared to the masses on battlenet. Many of the people playing SP don't even check for patches, so it's even less that a SP patch would benifit. There's probably a team of people who consider SP "done" and really don't want to change it all that much. It's a great game the way it is, and adding stuff to it would probably wreck it.

If I were bliz, I'd work on DIII.

11. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

I have to disagree on that point Spearthrower, still many of the SPers go with strategies rather than items. With my patriarch Morbius (a fishymancer) I thought I would need homunculus + kira's + mara's in order to have maximum resistances. I was wrong, I have negatives everywhere except with lightning, but proper use of attract and terror makes it non-significant.

Players like jiansonz, for example, always give these kind of tips for players. I got from him the idea of doing an iron golem with the mod "X damage returned to aggresor" to own diablo. Nightfish is another good example

12. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

Just saying what I have seen A_M - and I have seen it quite a bit recently. Perhaps it's not a normal thing and I have just caught a temporary upsurge in it and I am judging it from that..... time shall tell! :)

13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I think what this comes down to is that this is a game based on items. I think the best advice lists what stats to look for, and gives some examples of what specifically would work. I see a lot of specific item recommendations around here, but most of the time, they are tailored to the original poster's playstyle. Someone who has a big item pool would get the Windforce recommendation, while someone who is untwinked might be pointed to a shopped or rerolled cruel bow of some sort.

I do agree however, that the "just use item X" by itself isn't all that useful, but I don't see a lot of that on this forum.

I've mused that Blizzard may be missing an oportunity in leaving SP behind. The main reason to keep the D2 community going and active is to keep people interested the Diablo franchise, so that if a D3 comes out, there will be a stack of people waiting to play it who you don't need to set up expensive ad campains to reach. Now, I don't have access to Blizz's accounting department, but I'd have to imagine that even with the ads on B.net, they are lucky to be breaking even with D2 B.net.

Servers are expensive. If they brought SP in line with B.net content wise, you would likely have more people shift at least some of their time to SP. You still have them hooked into the franchise, but you have reduced your server load. If you are worried about piracy, have the game check the CD key for TCP/IP games. It might not be practical to see if it was banned by Blizz, but you can at least make sure that everyone in the game isn't on the same IP, and make some more money off of SP hell forge rushers. :wink3: