Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Runewords and Mercs

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by GriswoldsApprentice, Jun 28, 2005.

1. GriswoldsApprentice

GriswoldsApprentice IncGamers Member

Runewords and Mercs

I am new to the barb world. I have been playing mostly paly's (not hammerdins), but I have acquired most of the IK set so I decided to give it a try since they look pretty cool.

Anyway, my question is...Does the "-x% to enemy resist" apply to everyone, or just the person who has that item?

The reason for the question is that I was thinking of using an A2 merc with Blessed Aim to help with AR and equiping him with Doom/Dragon/Dream. This would give Holy Freeze/Fire/Shock and lower cold resist.

Sound good? Or am I way off?

*Beelzebubba USWest Ladder

2. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

-resist only applies to the wearer. moreover, i think it only applies to the weapon, meaning if you are dual weilding and you have -resist on one weapon and hit with the other, the -resist wont be in affect. if the -resist is off-weapon then both weapons would have the feature.

3. GriswoldsApprentice

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Do you still think the Doom/Dream/Dragon setup is still viable?

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Typically those r/ws are better off on a pally who could pump resist cold, lightning or fire to synergise those auras to great effect :D For PvM and the bonuses from full IK, AR is not an issue such that you have to employ a blessed aim merc - a might merc increases dmg output while holyfreeze slows the game down. However if you intend to hork then might merc is better as the possibility of corpse shattering with holy freeze is not desireable hehe. An ethereal Crescent Moon in Cryptic/Thresher offers static on striking or if you are richer an 'Infinity' polearm has huge crushing blow for act boss scenarios and the conviction aura also lowers the defence of monsters. IIRC the effects of conviction + battle cry stack as well :D Full elemental bonus on the maul would also be increased with the -res that conviction aura offers hehe

For example total fire/lightning/cold dmg from IK maul with bonuses(max) = 1238
    Factor in slvl 12 Conviction Aura : -85 fire/lightning/cold resists
    Enhanced elemental dmg = 1238*1.85= 2290
    Add Poison and Magic Dmg = 2855
    Final additional elemental/magic damage would be a tad lower considering hell monsters having immunity to a single element i guess :p

5. GriswoldsApprentice

That's the kind of info I knew I would get from this forum. Thank you Batuchka. So instead of the multi-aura route, maybe a might merc with Infinity/Duress/Giant Skull would be better for the CB.

6. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Well i'd swap out the giantskull for either a tal's mask, gaze or 'ral' andy helm for life leech as w/o it merc needs babysitting i.e u have to watch over his health and feed him potions to keep him alive :D My higher lvl mercs went with 'ral' andy helm as that +2skills also boosts the level of might aura of merc :p