Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

runes hunting

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by freed0m, Feb 8, 2004.

1. freed0m

freed0m IncGamers Member

runes hunting

hello all,
    i wanna ask where should i hunt for the high lv runes such as Jah and Ber?
    i really want to get engima.

i am originally runing
    andy->trav->meph->izual->eldritch->shenk
    should i carry on?
    welcome any new suggestion of runs.
    thank you very much.

2. emuporium

emuporium IncGamers Member

assuming your a sorc, just do mpeh and andy, or pindle even. dont even think about rune hunting, it just won't work :)

instead focus on finding items that could be traded for those runes. You'll probably find a rune or two on the way, but the chances of getting anything moderately high are very low.

you could also try cow runs in hell in big games, and see what turns up there. but again, you're still far more likely to find items worth any given rune than to find it yourself.

3. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Wrote this semi-guide up a while ago, these are among the best rune-finding strategies, they seem to work for many people.

Countess Running (Highest Rune = Lo)

Probably the most popular rune location. The countess can be found on the lowest level of the forgotten tower, in the black marsh. She has a guaranteed rune drop, so every time you kill her she will drop at least one rune. She is a favourite for rune upgrading (discussed later)

The Hellforge Rush Technique (Highest Rune = Gul)

This one is time consuming. Offer to do free rushes to hell as long as you get the hellforge quest. Rush someone you find trustworthy (a forumer is the best bet) and complete the hellforge quest in act4. Consider whatever that drop may be your payment for the rush.

Hephasto the Armourer running (Highest Rune = Zod)

Hephasto the Armourer guards the hellforge found in the river of flame. Although there is no solid explication, I myself, along with some others, have found that Hephasto drops more runes that the average foe. You will have to kill him when hellforge rushing, but hephasto running includes killing him and only him (kind of like pindle running).

Running Level 82+ Areas (Highest Rune = Zod)

There are several level 82+ areas (full list of level 85 areas here). Each one has not only the ability to drop the highest rune, but they can drop a very good number of items. The level 85 areas can drop every last item in the game. The chances are very low you will find a rune, but if you MF in these areas anyways, a rune may show itself.

Farming & Upgrading

Farming involves collecting tons of lower-level runes. Upgrading (Ladder-Only for the high runes) involves transmuting two lower-level runes to a higher level rune by way of the horadric cube. The desperate will keep runes no lower than Amn, but most like to start upgrading runes at Lum or Ko.

Rune Upgrading recipies

Code:
    3 Thul Runes + 1 Chipped Topaz = Amn Rune
    3 Amn Runes + 1 Chipped Amethyst = Sol Rune
    3 Sol Runes + 1 Chipped Sapphire = Shael Rune
    3 Shael Runes + 1 Chipped Ruby = Dol Rune

[I]* Below formulae are ladder only *[/I]
    3 Dol Runes + 1 Chipped Emerald = Hel Rune
    3 Hel Runes + 1 Chipped Diamond = Io Rune
    3 Io Runes + 1 Flawed Topaz = Lum Rune
    3 Lum Runes + 1 Flawed Amethyst = Ko Rune
    3 Ko Runes + 1 Flawed Sapphire = Fal Rune
    3 Fal Runes + 1 Flawed Ruby = Lem Rune
    3 Lem Runes + 1 Flawed Emerald = Pul Rune
    2 Pul Runes + 1 Flawed Diamond = Um Rune
    2 Um Runes + 1 Topaz = Mal Rune
    2 Mal Runes + 1 Amethyst = Ist Rune
    2 Ist Runes + 1 Sapphire = Gul Rune
    2 Gul Runes + 1 Ruby = Vex Rune
    2 Vex Runes + 1 Emerald = Ohm Rune
    2 Ohm Runes + 1 Diamond = Lo Rune
    2 Lo Runes + 1 Flawless Topaz = Sur Rune
    2 Sur Runes + 1 Flawless Amethyst = Ber Rune
    2 Ber Runes + 1 Flawless Sapphire = Jah Rune
    2 Jah Runes + 1 Flawless Ruby = Cham Rune
    2 Cham Runes + 1 Flawless Emerald = Zod Rune

Other

Magic Find does not affect rune finding in anyway. Runes are purely luck, so if one does drop feel lucky.

As for other ways to get runes, just play though the game, runes pop up when you least expect them to.

4. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Nice work, but a couple of suggestions:

1. The Countess is not quite guaranteed to drop at least one rune. She has three picks from her rune drop, each with a 25% no drop chance. So there is a 1 in 64 chance that they will all come up bad and she'll drop no runes at all.

2. You should probably mention that although the Hell Countess can drop up to Lo, her special rune drop only goes up to Ist, and that for Gul/Vex/Ohm/Lo she has much the same chance as any other boss.

3. Also you might want to mention that Countess running works better with only one player in the game, as the reduced no drop chance in bigger games can cause her "normal" drops to "crowd out" the runes.

5. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Also you guys forgot that the wraith like monsters in the game tend to drop 4 times more runes than other monsters, so the best place could include Arcane Sanctuary and Chaos Sanctuary.

6. freed0m

freed0m IncGamers Member

i do agree that runes come out when i least expect them to drop.
    my question is, does mf really do nth with runes drop?

and i farmed rune from countess be4 too. she dropped me at least 1 rune per run. eventually drops 4 runes per run. the highest lv runes she dropped me are io and hel at the same time. but i think that it doesnt worth farming...so time consuming :confused:

7. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Not a thing. The same ignorance to MF applies to jewels and charms IIRC.

8. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Surely MF affects the chance of finding a rare or unique jewel or a unique (Gheed's) charm? Or does it not?

I think Blizzard should have made a couple of Sets that included a jewel and/or a charm. That would be neat. :)

9. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

MF does not affect your chance of getting a jewel or charm but certainly does affect whether it turns out unique, same as any other base type.