Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Runeplan

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Do you have any "plan" for your runedrops? I for example do not have a single runeword with rune higher than Um (Crescent Moon PB) as of now, tho I have two Ist runes sitting in my storage.

I do not exclusively hunt for high(-er) runes by running LK/Countess/Rushing HF so pretty much any rune higher than say Fal is a pleasant surprise to me (note that I am running 1.12 so no upped rune drops). I however do have a plan for any possible rune drops and their combinations (which is rather silly considering their rarity in normal game pre 1.13 I guess).

My plan is if I drop:

Vex = Hoto
    Ohm = CTA
    Lo = Actually not sure if Grief or Fortitude.
    Sur = Eh, why not Lo? I don't know, probably would save it.
    Ber = If I dropped Ber before Jah = instant CoH
    Jah = If dropped before Ber than I would wait for one of these options: If I got Lo sooner = Ice; if Ber = Enigma
    Cham = Actually I am not sure if I would make a runeword out of this one, probably I would wait for near perfect/perfect Shako and stick it there.
    Zod = Who am I kidding? These basically do not even exist pre 1.13 but heck, if I got one of these I wouldn't make BotD out of it even though it would be tempting. Things like ethereal perfect/close to perfect Tomb Reavers, Stormlashes, Ribcrackers etc are way too awesome.

Also, I am not really sure what to do with my middle tier runes, I can't decide between saving them for the higher runes (like ists+guls => Ohm/Lo) for better runewords or go slowly from the bottom up, so if cubing up, first make Hoto, then CTA etc, your opinion?

So what about you and runes? Or do you actually have the will to hunt for particular runes in LK etc? If so, what is the runeword you are aiming for ATM?

2. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Why play 1.12? In that patch you can't plan anything above a Vex, maybe Ohm. Runes are just too rare.

3. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Well before recent restart 'bout half year ago, I never played anything higher than 1.11 and I got used to the rune rarity. I actually enjoy that rarity because really the top runewords are seriously overpowered when compared to anything else and I wouldn't like having that dropping "easily" (now mind me, I know that runes Ohm/Lo+ are still pretty rare) since I wouldn't have really anything to look for other than crazy crafted/rare items and I also dislike some skill changes and even the possibility of respecing.

I mean I played like 5 years through various 1.10 and older patches and I also played like 6 years of Ragnarok Online (MMO) on low rates, so I kind of trained myself to really enjoy and look forward to the real rares.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Since runes are SO rare, careful plan is needed.
    Now, it depends on what kind of player are you.
    a) is efficiency of farming high on your priority list...
    b) or are you guy who just cares to make char that works, is strong enough to survive and can kill stuff

If a), like I am, then my suggestions would be this:

Vex = either wait another Vex to make CtA, or make Hoto. Problem is, Hoto won't have high impact on your game, BO from CtA will. I would personally wait either for another Vex to cube Ohm or for direct Ohm drop to make CtA first since that item has big impact on game.
    Ohm = CtA, no questions asked.
    Lo = I would make Grief PB cause generally I think it has higher impact on characters than Fortitude
    Sur = Ber = Jah = save for Enigma. No CoH, no anything else. Enigma is by far best runeword and item in general in the game for efficient farming (unless you are sorc). CoH is not that good runeword, especially compared to Enigma (but CoH is fine choice if you play really rarely and could wait ages to get runes for Enigma)
    Cham = CBF on Shako I would say
    ZoD = whatever, either BotD or make something fancy

If b), player who just makes builds to work and be strong, then:

Vex = Hoto, or wait for CtA if you care
    Ohm = CtA
    Lo = whatever profits your characters more, Grief or Fortitude
    Sur = save to cube to Ber
    Ber = CoH, because it is good armor if you play described way under b). Or save for Enigma or do whatever you find appropriate with it
    Jah = Enigma, Faith. Can't really see Ice in here, unless you are big fan of certain builds
    Cham = whatever
    Zod = whatever

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. RickH

RickH IncGamers Member

Hmm, what's your Char?
    Lo for me (as you said) is Grief and Forty.
    CTA is a must at WSK (for me..)
    Middle tear has life-mana leach. (Is Amn middle?)
    My only Zod.. Well.. I just stare at it.
    I don't chase for Runes, even at Trav.. they just drop from trash mobs :D
    Still think 'Crescent Moon' is the best runeword to get whatever char.

Enigma.. that's my goal.. Chams and Zod drop(s) but no Ber/Jah.. RNG :rolleyes:

LK is too boring for me, rather Trav, Pit and WSK.

What do I do with my runes?
    Sort them, Um for resists.. Waste a Cham on moron (CBF) .. nothing too interesting.. Apart from that one Zod dropping that I still stare at. :)

6. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

In versions lower than 1.13, I think it is best to find the rune first and then figure out what to do with it. Planning first might only lead to disappointment. That said, if I were to stay in 1.12 and wanted to maximise rune drops and sanity, I'd LK for Enigma, then put that on a hammerdin and do CS. After Enigma the most game changing RW is probably CTA and then Infinity.

What I actually did in 1.12 was make Oath for my trav barb. Then I was able to make a second Oath. Didn't find runes for Grief until 1.13 though.

Well, I say don't plan, but I had a Beta Bramble planned for so long and I'm nowhere near done Hellforge rushing for it. Following advice is hard.

And I'd like a Beast, and a Rift, and Chaos, and Fury, and dual-Dream... haha, I'll keep dreaming.

7. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

You'd probably need to trade for runes if you plan on staying in 1.12 and still want to craft high-tier runewords. Other than that, you'll need to grind with no regards to your sanity at LK and likewise areas.

8. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

There is one good thing about 1.12, Hammerdins are still overpowered.

If I were to make a plan about runewords it would definitely be CtA > Enigma > Maybe a HotO > Everythng else.

Or if you're not an efficiency freak, make CoH with your first Ber, it's amazing on pretty much every char.

I would strongly advice Trav>LK for pre-1.13 patches.

9. dOOmas

dOOmas IncGamers Member

My plans consist of :
    Ber - enigma(probably double sur)
    Lo - another fortitude
    Lo-Cham - Doom.

That's probably it unless i decide to make more characters.

10. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Since 1.13 I've managed to score every rune and have managed to build most of the key runewords (Enigma, Grief, Fortitude, etc.). Call to Arms is still the best bang for the buck. Enigma comes in after that. Grief/Fortitude depending on what build you are after. Everything else is just for fun.

11. Gripphon

Don't forget about Infinity too. For some builds it is insane upgrade. But, I'm not sure is it worth it in 1.12 with rarity of the runes. Even if you had 2 Ber, I would rather save them for Enigma than use them for Infinity in such conditions, that's why I didn't mention Infinity at all. But otherwise, when it comes to gameplay impact, strongest runewords seem to be:
    Enigma, CtA, Insight (cheap and godly, yes), Infinity, Grief in weapon (Fortitude is not here cause lolEnigma which you will use almost everywhere if you have it), Spirit shield (THAT runeword is OP for its price. 35 fcr on shield and tons of resists + 2 skills practically for free? I don't even...). Anything else is easily replaceable (NOT for all specific builds though, so Fortitude on some shapeshifter is still great and hard to beat armor for example).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  12. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I would say that I get the most mileage out of my Dual HOTO's. They see more use than any other Runeword. Second place would be a nice ethereal Insight polearm. A distant third would be a Spirit monarch. Everything beyond that is dreams. I barely use my CTA, to be honest I would rather have kept the Ohm to cube it.

13. Gripphon

And that's why every player must decide upon his own playing style and priorities. I bet there are players who would put CoH, Phoenix or even Pride also pretty high on their usefulness list of runewords cause those items fit their playstyle or are just great for characters they like to play with.

Items I listed usually cannot be replaced without losing considerable amount of character power, while Hoto can usually (perhaps not always) be replaced with rather small or no loses, that's why I didn't list it among those runewords. How? Sometimes I use wizardspike with Ist or whatever instead of Hoto, and impact on character is really small (that's why I do it, right, to gain something I could need more). Extra mana and fcr and resists can also free other gear slots on my char.
    That's why I listed Spirit as high impact runeword, cause that 35 fcr + 2 skills + tons of resist open so much gear slots on many characters... Remove Spirit and suddenly you have to seek replacements for like 3-4 other gear slots to cover the loses. It's like that at least when I try to optimize my characters. For example I tried to use Herald of Zakarum on at least one of my paladins, but I simply couldn't defeat mods of Spirit after considering whole gear in the picture, unless I make non-teleporting characters which I won't do if I have a choice.

Priorities and playstyle, that's all it matters and where most differences coming from.

GooberGrape and pharphis like this.
  14. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Paladin-specific Spirit shields are way OP, forgot about those.

15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Ohm+Jah -> Faith. A atrafe zon with a Faith GMB and, if possible, a Fortitude armor can do /p7 pit runs with ease which is probably a pretty good way to gather runes, unless you prefer to do those immensely boring Kurast chest runs.

Regarding Grief vs. Fortitude, I would make Grief first because it offers more of a breakthrough for a wearer while Fortitude serves as an enhancement of a melee or missile weapon which has to be good in the first place. It depends on your characters, however.

I have found not much else than 4 Sur runes for some reason. I will probably cube up a pair to Ber and hope to find Jah (or Ber, upgrading all four to Jah then), so I can finally make an Enigma armor.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  16. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

No RWM version
    Vex: Hoto if caster, store if melee
    Ohm: Exile if pally, Chaos if assa, dust if else (I don't like CTA for my playstyle)
    Lo: really sought-after rune, but pretty much worthless without RWM. I'd say stick it in some fancy weap for extra DS
    Sur: cube to Ber
    Ber: uhmm Beast, CoH, or save for Enigma
    Jah: Enigma and... nothing else. I wouldn't use it even for rare/unique weaps, Eth is better.
    Cham: cube to Zod, or make Doom for fun
    Zod: Ebotd

17. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Exile is not as groundbraking as a CTA. There are plenty of builds that need higher life/mana pool to be competitive at higher player settings and keep up with the monster's life pool.

RWM: it is pointless to not use it. It is in no way cheating, the ladder-only runeword situatuon is Blizzard's way of chainlocking you to a failing Battle.net experience.

18. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Honestly: I would use the Uber mods too, if they could implement their AI.

19. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

Whatever, I'll keep playing the way I want. This is what SPF is all about.