Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

runefinding: hellcows or hellcountess?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by mdbutphy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. mdbutphy

mdbutphy IncGamers Member

runefinding: hellcows or hellcountess?

Which do you guys think is best for finding runes?

2. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Assuming you're talking about high runes - and not just runes in general - I would say that your best bet is door #3 - hellforge. Countess, even in hell, will drop a lot of els and elds, and the cows will drop maybe one or two runes - but I've not had much luck there. Best luck I've had is the pit - had two ist and a lot of fal-ums drop.

I started a thread a while ago (year?) and did 100 test hell vs NM countess runs. Turns out that hell paid off by like a dol rune - and the highest rune I got was a Hel. Pretty disappointing. Of course, I have had three straight Hel runes drop from hellforge, so not lucky there either.

Bottom line - it's alllllllll about luck. Some people swear by Lower Kurast and the chests there - it can drop up to Ber, I think...but really it's all blind luck.

So good luck!

3. mdbutphy

mdbutphy IncGamers Member

thanks, alexzed! I hadn't even considered kurast, and the pits are very dangerous for my sorc (even though she's lvl 82...) due to some of the uniques with extra strong, mana burn...But, yeah...I seriously have done like 35 countess runs on hell and all I got was an io...I don't even think that counts... Anyway, I'll check those places out, thanks again!

4. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Kurasts are HIGHLY dangerous even to those with a strong Dual Skill tree Sorcs.

Since runes aren't effected by %MF, I suggest a Hammerdin or another PvM owning chars with Enigma if you're strictly looking for runes.

- Dennis

5. treyder

treyder IncGamers Member

I use my 92 Hammerdin on hell countess and frequently find Um, Mals, Puls, and every few days an Ist.

I think your clvl helps too.

Repitition pays off.

6. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Finding runes, especially HR, is just about beeing lucky...Even when doing hellforge there is no guarantee for drops containing ums, mals, ists and guls!:p

/Dec

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Clvl has no effect on rune drop chances, really its all down to luck.
    i find hell cows is good if you can run them safely, countess is good for mid level runes, although it can takes 1000+ runs to get a single ist.
    Hellforge takes too long to get to just for that 1 drop chance IMO, although if you have someone who doesnt mind dragging your body through to act 4 hell then go ahead, it canbe a very fast way if you do it right, and dont forget hephasto has the highest chance to drop the high runes (ber+) so thats another bonus.

8. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

i seem to find most of my runes in act 4 chaos or act 3 trav although all my hr's came from chaos and highest i've gotten from trav are ists

9. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

good discussion about this in the stats forum.

10. Miladys-Knight

Miladys-Knight IncGamers Member

Some one has/had a rune guide at one time with a link on the Diabloii.net home page. Iirc the best chance of finding high runes was opening the sparkly chests found in the various set areas in the game. The second best chance for finding high runes was from preset chests in game areas (for example, the chest behind meph and the chests in the mausoleum and crypt and the false tombs in act 2)