Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rune Race plan sketch

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Uzziah, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Rune Race plan sketch

Rune Race

The Rune Race is not a tournament of the standard type. There will be No Prizes in fact the only reward you will receive is the Runes you find and the knowledge of your place on the scoreboard.

Rules everyone will enter one of the following categories:

Bosses Only – no chest or monsters without a boss or champion title Runes found on minions will be allowed since one could clear minions with the boss and not know who dropped the Rune.
    All Monsters – no chest or other forms of boxes
    Full Clear – includes every possible item that could drop

Each category can be in the area of your choosing, however the area must be contained i.e. Act 1 Hell can not be a chosen area. An area can not be larger then 1 above ground area or 1 underground cave. An area can be cave 1 1st & 2nd floor but not Bloody Hills & Arreat Summit.

100 runs will be the limit per entry in Bosses and All monsters, 50 runs will be the limit for Full Clear. (This is a control for measuring the best rune finding areas. This will not allow for finding the Runes per hour average that some people have mentioned in other threads, sorry I forgot who asked about this).

Entrants will provide the following information:
    Character type; Difficulty; Area; Category; # of runs
    Rune name and # found (I.e. Vex 2, Ist 1)

Scoring There will be two scores.

Total – based on how many El’s it would take to make all runes in your possession. I.e. if you turned in El 5, Eld 3, Tir 1 your total would be 5 + 3*3 + 1*9 = 23. I will have a spread sheet for calculating these numbers.
    Average – based on a golf type scoring system Zod = 0 El = 32 Eld = 31 and so on. This average will be the sum of the = numbers divided by the total # of Runes found. The lowest average area will yield the best runes in theory.

If less then the limit on runs is given, then a weighted average will be placed to simulate the total runs for the category. This weighted average will be at my digression and will not show advantage for those that turn in “Ist 2 Lo 1 5 runsâ€.

The winner will be decided for each category and difficulty. The area with the lowest average number will be announced.

Note: I am asking for input on when we should hold the race and how long the race should be allowed to go on. I have spent the last week going over numbers for scoring and this method seems to be the best route, I could always reverse the average scoring to make it the highest average wins.

2. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

whats the MF limitations if any?

3. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

First MF doesn't affect rune drops so it shouldn't matter...

Second, not sure if the scoring system will work as the person who does the most runs is most likely to find the highest rune but is also most likely to find a lot lot more El's and therefore would have a really high score.

Oh and I have been thinking of something similar but w/ much higher stakes.

4. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

does the winner get to choose some runes as a prize like in the MFO or no prize?

i would probarbly be interessted in joining this.

5. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

As he wrote, tehre will be no prices, i doupt anyone is willing to give up some high end rune... unless ofcourse he has many of them

6. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

missed that....

7. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

First MF has no effect dealing with runes as has been stated.

Second, you may notice that I have a 100 run limit set up that is so that everyone is on an even ground when it comes to # of runs. It is also why I will be implementing a dual scoring system. I have given the scoring alot of thought and this is the best solution that I have been able to come up with it relies on the honor system but so does every other tournament. It is to be 100 runs no more. It is what you get in those runs not do 1000 runs and pick the best 100. Like I said its on the honor system.

About higher stakes and prizes I have agreed with Wormhead's thought that offering a prize would encourage people to say "heh what do you know I just found a Zod I guess I win" just to get the prize and not to test which area is the best. There is more then one reason this tournament is being held.

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

So it's only one area, what about tal's tomb? Do I have to run the "true" tomb, or all seven together count as one? If I were to play MP with that char, it would be next to impossible to find the real one fast.

I tried last night seven together, took me over an hour to do it on player 4. :grrr:

9. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Thats a tough one for an area but I would say it should be 1 of 7 for each run does not matter which 1 of 7 you were running. So 1 tomb per run would be an area. It would not matter if it were the true tomb or a fake tomb.

10. NSXdreamer

Problem is the true one are over three or four times the false ones though, which would give me a lot more bosspack/wraith etc.

11. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I'd say we have the 7 tombs be one area, as what we really want is info about what's dropping and supposedly the 7 tombs all drop the same. Good luck to whoever runs 'em though. I haven't found squat yet, not a single unique, did about 20 runs varying from players8 to players1. Duriel is the only one who gave me one. Anyway that was off-topic. I'm in and I'll be running Flayer Jungle, Hell (does that mean I can run the Flayer dungeon as well?).

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

yea, this si atest, not a tourney as such. the idea is to find the best area, not the best single trune so you can take them all.
    oh, and i have a suspision thee will be 3 areas run, countes, RoF and a few WSK. that is it. really people shuld sign up, then you give them a area to run, so we can see a wide range of areas, not just ones we already know are good. it might be an obscure area like spampy pits lvl 2 that has a really high chance of dropping runes, but no-one will ever think of running it enough to get accurate results.

13. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Here, here. I'm with Bob, a random fact gathering mission. I guess I'll just wait then to see what area I'm running. We might want to include NM as well, for lower level people who want to try.

14. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

just so you guys know, there's a bug in Doc's Dropcalc regarding Tal's tombs... he was counting the likelihood of all tombs dropping a rune at one time, so the odds for that area were being multiplied by 7. so, while Tal's tomb is still approximately the same as WSK for rune drops, it is not the wonderous land of zod and cham that it was originally suspected. :(

edit: check out the thread called "Hephasto" for more info.

15. NSXdreamer

I may go for tal's tomb, but will probably not finish all 50 runs since each is taking me over an hour to do. Last night when I tried it, got a bloodraven's charge, two amn, one sol, and a pally shield with +2 skill and 34 resist. And died once to a FE LE MS blood lord bosspack.

16. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

I am with trying different places, all full clears! Just as Bob said.

And today, while my pally cleared River of Flame, he saw El, Ko, Fal, Lem (Lem from Hellforge). /brag

17. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

@ ricrestoni I would rather not have quest type Runes in this grouping.

@ farting bob I could do that if that would be the desire of everyone here. As far as areas though if a person wants to run more then one area I have no objection to that. Also some people can run the countess 10 times as fast as WSK others can run WSK much faster. It is all a matter of the person making runs as to what would be easy for them to do. Maybe we should create a set of say 10-12 areas that we would like to run and just make sure that enough runs in each area have been entered.

As for Tals tomb lets say the entrant plays SP and stays with the same map and only runs one symbol. If its the correct tomb it falls under one area if its a false tomb it falls under another.

@Fafner If you are running the Flayer Jungle which is an above ground map the the Flayer Dungeon is not part of your area. So no Flayer Dungeon is not part of Flayer Jungle. However, if you run both then you could make 2 entries.

18. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Up and running

The Rune Race is up and running: Thus far 5 people have entered and choosen their areas.

Fafner, farting bob, ricrestoni, NSXdreamer, and myself.

We have decided which areas and difficulty we will be running.

I would like to make a few changes for all entrants. 50 runs no matter which category you are running, Please supply which players x setting you are playing in, and average rune will be El=1 Eld=2 Tir=3...Zod=33 to make my accounting more sensible.

The adjusted average rune will be based on [('runs ran'/50)*'rune avg' + 'rune avg']/2 This is a diminishing formula that always lowers the avg unless the limit is ran. Entrants over this limit will not be counted

My runs 1st 10 runs on countess, normal, full clear, players 1 have yielded El 5, Eld 4, Tir 4, Eth 3, Ith 3, Tal 1.

19. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Hmm. I could join, but I want to ask few questions first:

I would like to run Tal Rasha's Tomb, but if the runs are restricted to one tomb/symbol only, I would like to search the "real" tomb for these runs because it is larger than other tombs. I guess this is ok...

WSK would be another option for me, I could level my bowazon by doing runs there. But sometimes Gloams are a real problem for her, at least on higher player settings and usually I reroll if I see gloams there. Is that allowed? I guess not, gloams can be significant rune droppers

btw how are you going to compare the results if most of us use different player setting?

20. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Yikes...we're off and running and me with a thesis to write, crud. I'm gonna only run one area then. p8 Hell, Flayer Jungle. That means someone can (and should) run Countess, Hell.