Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

rune hunting

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SnakeEye85, Feb 25, 2004.

1. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

rune hunting

I haven´t found any of the real high runes in ~3 years of playing and i wanna change that :)

I realize i have to spend more time in hell and areas that can actually drop high runes to get one. Cause normaly i just play chars around act1norm - act5nm or something like that. Though i have some chars that does just fine in hell but they are all boring to "run" areas with. I use to run the pit alot and im having some good luck down there but not with runes.

Ok i realize there is no place were you can just go and kill some monsters and then get a ZOD but there is one area im wondering about. I got my bonecaster necro to act5 today and rescued anya. This must be one of my best pindle killer. Teleport (enigma, not mine) to pindles house and cast a bonewall, start spam bonespear and kill 1 or 2 minions, then CE. It´s very fast and easy and when everything is dead in pindles house i cast a bonewall and block the way out to pindles garden, then all monsters outside pindles house gathers up at the bonewall and i can easily cast couple of bonespears and then CE all of them.
    Normaly i don´t care about the monsters outside pindles house but it´s so easy to kill them and very good exp, and i seem to get a low rune every second or third run or so. So i wonder, is it worth the extra time it takes to kill the monsters in pindles garden? Anyone got any high runes from it? At players 5 they seems to drop alot.

David

2. bhaalistik

bhaalistik IncGamers Member

I've been running the Pit at P8 continuously with moderate success (highest being a PUL so far). I've also added the Countess to my runs since I got a nice short map for her, but she is quite stingy as we all know (I think the best so far she's dropped is Dol or Sol). Meph is a good target as well, but he's almost as stingy as the Countess.

3. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

Bhaal is right, lvl 85 areas are the way to go! :thumbsup: Besides, you can get some very good items while searching for runes. ;)
    I remember the last MFlympics that were held here, one guy made many, many Diablo runs, and since there are many "ghost" type monstres in the CS(they have 4x better chance to drop runes IIRC), during his runs(one week) he found Ist, Ohm and Um, sounds good to me! :D

4. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Hell act4, River of Flame and Chaos Sanctuary, the best chances for runes are there. Reason is the wraith class monsters like said and also Hephaesto, who has one of the best chances to drop a zod (still no slot machine heh).

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

If you are trying to run for runes your best bet is to run from the black marsh down to the countess in Hell killing all you can on the way without slowing you down to much. I tend to be able to make the run in 5-10 minutes with a trapsin and no teleport. But the Countess will drop 1-4 runes on a normal basis. She can drop up to Ist on her rune drop and higher on her item drop but it stands the same chance as normal monsters.

6. Death_Dealer

Death_Dealer IncGamers Member

Remember to get rid of your MF when rune hunting.

7. SnakeEye85

hmm i never though about running diablo for runes but it sounds nice. I remember that my bonecaster actually liked it very much in chaos sanctuary.

yeah i know D_D, MF is bad for runefinding but i don´t think i will remove my MF anyway....i mean i wouldnt cry if some gold or green items would drop aswell.....a little bonus?

thanks for the advice everyone!

8. Joutaja

Joutaja IncGamers Member

Mf has no effect on rune finding so you should keep them on.

9. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

I think what he means is that since you want to find runes you should use your questing equipment so you can kill as fast as possible. It's also true with mf you might find some good items at the same time, so I guess it depends on what you want most.

10. SnakeEye85

what is the highest TC chaos sactuary can drop?

11. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

It's lvl 85 area, so it's pretty much like the Pit, you can get everything, plus the fact that there are 3x Superuniques on your way to Diablo, Act boss, ypou know that, but theyre chance of unique/set is greater than normal bosses that you can find in the Pit, so maybe it's even superiour! :flip:

12. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

The reason not to wear MF gear is that drop chances change so monsters are less likely to drop magic items and more likely to have runes drop. I've run the countess with a ton of MF and very little MF, and the times that I ran her with less MF, the 3-rune drops were much more common, but still very crappy. :p And this was with a non-trivial number of runs, I think. (100+ each) However, this is just from observation, so I might be wrong.

13. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

well David, you have seen what kind of runes dropped for me and i run RoF for them :lol:. i hear the pit is another good option so i would suggest run either of these two... but in the RoF there are lots of ghost and AFAIK those have a 4x better chance to drop runes... good luck matey :thumbsup:

robin

14. SabreCat

SabreCat IncGamers Member

I don't think that's correct. The game determines the base item (rune, Sacred Armor, key, sash...) before normal/magic/set/unique quality, and thus before applying MF. So MF will not affect how many runes drop at all.

15. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

no offense or anything, but you are wrong. :D MF only effects the chance that the item being dropped will be white/blue/yellow/green/gold. this means that when you kill a monster, the game first decides what sort of item it is going to drop: potion, gold, rune/jewel/jewelry, an item, or no drop. after this it decides what TC the item will be from if it rolled an item drop, or which rune it will drop if it rolled a rune drop. then, it decides what color of item you got from that TC. it is here and only here that your MF is taken into consideration. given this, the only thing that will effect rune drops are the players setting (lower chance of no drop => more drops => more runes will be dropped) and the monsters inherent chance of dropping a rune.

so, to find more runes, you should run an area with monsters that are more likely to drop runes (RoF, WSK is also good), at as high a players setting as possible. the one exception to this is the countess. you want to run her at players 1 because of the way her drops are calculated. she is programmed to have a rune drop and an item drop (the item drop can be a rune, but the odds are low). at players 1, she has a high chance of rolling a no drop for her items, and thus a higher chance of dropping her maximum of three runes from her rune drop. but even in her case, MF has no effect on rune drops.

hope that clears up any confusion!

16. SnakeEye85

it did, thanks!

everyone seems to advice RoF, why would it be better than CS? :scratch:

didnt knew CS was a 85 area and could drop all those nice stuff :)

thanks everyone

17. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Hmm, I don't know if CS is better than RoF, but they both are lvl 85 areas, both can have those ghost-type monsters for runedrops. RoF has more open space and Hephasto, CS has 3 SU's and Diablo.

I would clear both places if I were you

18. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

depending on your char class, the RoF is much safer than the CS because it doesn't have oblivion knights... it has their close cousins, but the guys in the RoF don't cast curses, so you don't have to worry about getting hit by iron maiden or amp damage. beyond that, both places are approximately equally good for rune drops since they both have the ghost monsters.

19. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

heh. good to know. looks like i just had a good string of luck there. :)

20. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

and thats exact the reason i dont clear the CS with my runehunter... he is a titan WW barb :lol:
    also the fact that Hephast is in the RoF makes it a little more attractive for me, but what the heck, a really good hammerdin would clear those 2 places in the blow off a nose... trust me, my #1 thing on my to-do list when i get my compter, make a frickin hammerdin :lol:

robin