Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rune Hunting

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Fafner, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Rune Hunting

I saw someone mention that they got Runes for on of the higher Runewords from 1.10 Hephisto runs. Is this a good way to do it because I just spawned a killer map for my Fishymancer, Down the stairs, straight one block and turn left. I really, really would like to make an Enigma for MFing so is this the way to go?

2. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

And how much heph runs do you have to make to be sure(statistically) that he'll drop, let's say, an Ohm? Because if it's in the 400 range I'll start doing Heph runs right away! :D But I highly doubt it's that good, otherwise everyone would run poor Heph...

3. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

So far my run count for Heph is somewhere around 500 and the best rune I've seen during those runs have been Ist.

4. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Heph (and most of the other not-act-boss-but-still-quest-creatures like Radament, the Summoner, Blood Raven etc) has an OK chance of dropping a rune with each drop, and drops quite a few items in total, giving him a good chance overall.
    Heph also can drop all runes, unlike the others I mentioned, making him certainly the pick.

Still, you still only expect a rune from him every 40 kills (p1, improves to about every 26 kills at p3+), and only 1/1500 of those will be Ohm or better.

There really isn't a magic rune factory anywhere in the game. Heph is OK, as are most of the creatures around him - if runes are what you're after, number of drops is the big thing.

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

so heph's chance to drop a rune increase with higher players settings?!? i believe you, but that goes against my (limited and simplified) understanding of how the game decides item drops. i thought that heph, as a superunique, would drop two items and potions every time, and that the odds of those being a rune/gem/jewel are pretty well hardcoded?

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Heph isn't a regular superunique. The ones that are the targets or guardians of quests tend to have their own special item TCs. In particular:

Andariel
    Radament
    Mephisto
    Diablo
    Summoner
    Council
    Griswold
    Haphesto
    Nihlathak
    Baal
    Blood Raven
    Smith
    Izual
    Cow King
    Duriel
    ROP
    Countess

All have their own special TC. These vary considerably and it would be a lot of work to explain them all. Heph's is most like Izzy, Blood Raven, Nihly and Radament. Each get up to 5 drops, with 19/60 no-drop chance at p1.

7. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

so taking heph on at players 8 means he has a much higher chance of dropping his full five items, and accordingly a higher net chance of dropping runes, but he doesn't increase his per item chance of rune drops (unlike the countess) by running him at a higher or lower players setting... very interesting. thanks!