Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rune drops in 1.14d

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Apostrof, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Apostrof

Apostrof Diabloii.Net Member

Started playing again after a long break, i feel i get more runes than pots. Not high runes but still, i just "rushed" my untwinked sorc to hell (basically suiciding into act bosses and quest monsters) and i already have every rune up to and including mal with multiple copies of everything, and only thing i really farmed is NM meph ~500 runs and ~500 Hell ancient tunnel runs. I didnt even do NM&HELL countess and hellforge.

Just lucky or they really buffed drop rates?

2. DoomBoy

DoomBoy Diabloii.Net Member

found a Jah in the pits the other day, it was really cool

3. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Rune drop rates got buffed in 1.13.

4. Locohead

Locohead Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know whether 1.14d in particular increased rune drops relative to 1.14c. But 1.14d is probably just a lot higher than you last played. I know at one point there was a big increase, larger for higher runes - ramping up to a 10x increase for Zod. As T72 mentioned I think that big increase was in one of the 1.13 patches. Whether any of the 1.14 patches altered rune drops further, I don't know if we can be certain. Blizzard's recent patch notes are much more vague than I'd like.

5. Apostrof

Apostrof Diabloii.Net Member

I checked some old trading thread and i played and traded in 1.13, i guess i am just really lucky with runes this time. No high runes still but if mid runes keep dropping like this i wont complain.

6. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

No matter how common something is if you're looking for it then it never drops. So consider yourself lucky, and don't expect them :)

Also, the chances were buffed in several patches. Zod especially received a massive buff. Comparing 1.09 vs. 1.13 (184,320/5,170) a Zod is ~36 times more common.
    [​IMG]

7. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

never realized how terrible 1.08 and 1.09 really were for runes. :>

pharphis likes this.
  8. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

sshhh don't post it in the IFT or people will know my zod is less impressive than @RobbyD 's 1.09 cham

Zyr, T72on1, GalaXyHaXz and 2 others like this.
  9. Locohead

Locohead Diabloii.Net Member

Questioning that chart's validity. At some point (thought it was 1.13) it became LESS common to get stuff below Tal -- especially El, Eld... but the chart doesn't reflect that.

Zyr and Fruit like this.
  10. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

From what I remember at the time of the (1.13b i think it was) patch, a few situations were introduced where the higher rune in a rune pair (el/eld = pair, tir/nef = pair, etc) actually became more common than the lower one. I believe the Ral/Tal pair was one of those, meaning that with 1.13b when the game rolls the Runes 4 TC for a drop, you have a higher chance of getting Ral than Tal - even though you would think that the further down the rune chain you go, the rarer they should be. I want to say that the same is true for Jah/Cham but unfortunately I dont remember the thread/source of this info...

Fruit likes this.
  11. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

@Locohead Are you thinking of the Countess rune drop where lower than Tal in Hell are rare than Tals?

12. GalaXyHaXz

The chart is correct, the numbers come straight from the MPQ. However, you are right about lower runes becoming more rare. This is calculated from the ratio column, where you have a "5 in x" chance for each class. This means `Eth/Ith` has a 50% chance of being chosen, and runes below that have a higher chance of dropping the rarer rune. 'Nef/Tir' have such a high chance of dropping that it's actually pretty rare to drop down to El.
    Beginning with 1.13a, the separation in rune rarity made every other rune more rare than the one above it. The most popular was 'Lo' becoming more rare than 'Sur' hence less LK patterns. This is because the rune TC uses a 3/2 ratio per class.

Ohm -> 3:2170 (0.0013%)
    Lo -> 2:2170 (0.0009%)
    Sur -> 3:2941 (0.0010%)
    Ber -> 2:2941 (0.0006%)

Zyr likes this.
  13. Fruit

these values are raw and don't necessarily reflect the actual(relative) drop chances. for starters, the table assumes that a rune was picked in the first place. the real chances depend on the monster, and are way lower than the table would make you believe. :p
    it still paints a good picture of how rarity has changed over the patches though. 1.09 was obviously a disaster, but then again, there was an absurd amount of botting and duping going on, so nobody really noticed the low drop chances I guess.

Zyr, GalaXyHaXz and ioupainmax like this.
  14. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

As far as I know, when a rune is chosen as a drop, starting with the highest possible tier (runes are separated into "tiers" which each have 2 runes, except tier 17, which only has Zod) from the target the game rolls to see if the roll meets the requirement for that tier, then moving to the next tier if that fails. Once the tier is chosen, another roll determines which of the pair (weighted, as mentioned above) drops. This means that increasing the likelihood of higher-tier runes does affect the drop rate of lower-tier runes. In practice, it doesn't make much difference except that, yes, it's much tougher to get an El rune to drop later in the game than it was pre-1.13.

The above doesn't count for special chests, those drops are, well, special. Which is LK/RoF chests, as well as a few others. The above should be true pretty much for anything with "normal" drop mechanics, though, as far as I know.

Zyr, pharphis and Fruit like this.
  15. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Should be easy to extract the Treasure class files from every patch and compare

16. Fruit

That's exactly what that is. :p Although a small oversight(?) is that the divisor is the sum of the values in the entry, for example Zod 1.07 would be 1/(1+32770), while Tir would be 3/(3+2+9). For the higher runes that virtually makes no difference, but for the lower runes it does.

And what maareek said would be why drop chances for lower runes were lowered by increasing the chance for the higher ones.
    A simple example is, let's say hypothetically a monster can drop only El and Eld, and let's say El has 100% chance to drop while Eld has 50% chance to drop. Well obviously, if there's a 50% chance that Eld drops, there also is only a 50% chance that El would drop. For reference, the same thing applies to magic find.

17. drmalawi

@GalaXyHaXz do you have the Treasureclass file for 1.14d? I am trying to find it :p

18. Fruit

(not GalaXyHaXz!) i have these on google drive, untouched from 1.14d Patch_D2.mpq, which i assume you meant? (download button shows up top right.)
    TreasureClass.txt
    TreasureClassEx.txt

19. GalaXyHaXz

@drmalawi You can get the MPQ editing tool here and extract them as well. Excel can get annoying so I usually view the .txt files with AFJ sheet editor. The treasureclass file is basically the same from 1.11-1.14, barring the increased runes.

ioupainmax likes this.
  20. drmalawi

yeah I did not get that to work on my PC though :/

Reason I asked is that I wanted to try to make my own drop calculator, just for personal amusement

ioupainmax likes this.