Rune cubing...

TheFaceless

Diabloii.Net Member
Rune cubing...

Okay. So I decided that I'd get all my runes together and start cubing. I was sick of all the El's and Eld's that I had, and just wanted to get rid of them. So I was cubing along happily, and all of a sudden I get to Thul and Io, and when I try to cube them, nothing happens. Does anyone know if these runes are un-cubeable or something?

aman

Assassin Moderator
3 El Runes -> 1 Eld Rune
3 Eld Runes -> 1 Tir Rune
3 Tir Runes -> 1 Nef Rune
3 Nef Runes -> 1 Eth Rune
3 Eth Runes -> 1 Ith Rune
3 Ith Runes -> 1 Tal Rune
3 Tal Runes -> 1 Ral Rune
3 Ral Runes -> 1 Ort Rune
3 Ort Runes -> 1 Thul Rune

3 Thul Runes + 1 Chipped Topaz = Amn Rune
3 Amn Runes + 1 Chipped Amethyst = Sol Rune
3 Sol Runes + 1 Chipped Sapphire = Shael Rune
3 Shael Runes + 1 Chipped Ruby = Dol Rune

3 Dol Runes + 1 Chipped Emerald = Hel Rune
3 Hel Runes + 1 Chipped Diamond = Io Rune
3 Io Runes + 1 Flawed Topaz = Lum Rune
3 Lum Runes + 1 Flawed Amethyst = Ko Rune
3 Ko Runes + 1 Flawed Sapphire = Fal Rune
3 Fal Runes + 1 Flawed Ruby = Lem Rune
3 Lem Runes + 1 Flawed Emerald = Pul Rune
2 Pul Runes + 1 Flawed Diamond = Um Rune
2 Um Runes + 1 Topaz = Mal Rune
2 Mal Runes + 1 Amethyst = Ist Rune
2 Ist Runes + 1 Sapphire = Gul Rune
2 Gul Runes + 1 Ruby = Vex Rune
2 Vex Runes + 1 Emerald = Ohm Rune
2 Ohm Runes + 1 Diamond = Lo Rune
2 Lo Runes + 1 Flawless Topaz = Sur Rune
2 Sur Runes + 1 Flawless Amethyst = Ber Rune
2 Ber Runes + 1 Flawless Sapphire = Jah Rune
2 Jah Runes + 1 Flawless Ruby = Cham Rune
2 Cham Runes + 1 Flawless Emerald = Zod Rune

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
and just a warning cubing only helps you get up a few rune lvls before it becomes a black hole off your runes. it takes 9 els to get 1 tir and 27 els to get 1 nef rune so as you can see after a while it starts getting silly numbers

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
I also thought I would point out the the higher rune cubing recipes only work in more recent versions. (1.10 and up, I believe.)

crazy_bear

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to expand on what Deaddave said...

Don't even start with El, imagine you start with 59049 Thul Runes (3^10). Seems like a lot right? well, since it is 3 per level of rune, that means that you could cube up 10 levels. That gets you to a Lem. Ouch, that's a lot of cubing for an Lem. Not to mention you would need 1 fl ruby, 3 fl sapph, 9 fl amys, 27 fl topz, 81 ch. dmd, 243 ch. emld, 729 ch ruby, 2187 ch. sapph, 6561 ch. amys and 19683 ch. topz. (29524 gems in all) To accomplish this it would take 29524 cubing steps. At 5 seconds per cubing step it works out to almost exacty 41 hours of time to accomplish it, not including the time to move things to the stash and back!

In 41 hours you could take a few characters to hell hellforge and have a way better rune than a Lem (how many chars depends on play style, but it should be at least 3 or 4, with hellforge rushing it could easily be as many as 50). Alternately you could run the countess or Lower Kurast with that time and also get better runes that way.

Anyway, the moral of this story is don't cube runes for more than 3 steps (maybe 4 or 5 if you are desperate) up. :grin:

CB

DeathMage

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to expand on what Deaddave said...

Don't even start with El, imagine you start with 59049 Thul Runes (3^10). Seems like a lot right? well, since it is 3 per level of rune, that means that you could cube up 10 levels. That gets you to a Lem. Ouch, that's a lot of cubing for an Lem. Not to mention you would need 1 fl ruby, 3 fl sapph, 9 fl amys, 27 fl topz, 81 ch. dmd, 243 ch. emld, 729 ch ruby, 2187 ch. sapph, 6561 ch. amys and 19683 ch. topz. (29524 gems in all) To accomplish this it would take 29524 cubing steps. At 5 seconds per cubing step it works out to almost exacty 41 hours of time to accomplish it, not including the time to move things to the stash and back!

In 41 hours you could take a few characters to hell hellforge and have a way better rune than a Lem (how many chars depends on play style, but it should be at least 3 or 4, with hellforge rushing it could easily be as many as 50). Alternately you could run the countess or Lower Kurast with that time and also get better runes that way.

Anyway, the moral of this story is don't cube runes for more than 3 steps (maybe 4 or 5 if you are desperate) up. :grin:

CB
I think you just scared everyone away from cubing runes :laugh:

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
This would be a nice thread to point people to who claim they 'just collected and cubed all their runes and ended up with an Enigma' etc

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
CB, thats some number crunching you did there! I knew it was retarded to cube El's but I didn't realize it was quite that bad, to see actual numbers behind it really puts things into perspective. And the gems required was much higher then I had possibly imagined.

I'm glad I wasn't planning on cubing my Infinity out of El's or you would have just ruined my week!

Thanks for the informative post!
-hps

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
Cubing runes isn't quite as hopeless as it sounds; I still do it.

The point is just that you won't get an Enigma, but you WILL get some extra midish level runes that are the most useful. Ort and Rals (and Shaels!) and what not.

And you won't always be starting from El of course, that helps a lot.

Cygnus

Diabloii.Net Member
That's not the same as saying "don't pick up those El/Elds", if I understand you correctly.

I pick up every single rune I find and cube them. The reason? Crafting. I need lots and lots of Nefs for crafting Blood Gloves (+% crushing blow, very useful mid-game in untwinked play) with good mods. The Els, Elds and Tirs definitely help here. Just don't expect to get a Zod out of these any time soon. Or a Tal for that matter :laugh:

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah i still cube most of mine. I think if you do it as you go it makes it alittle easier.

crazy_bear

Diabloii.Net Member
That's not the same as saying "don't pick up those El/Elds", if I understand you correctly.

I pick up every single rune I find and cube them. The reason? Crafting. I need lots and lots of Nefs for crafting Blood Gloves (+% crushing blow, very useful mid-game in untwinked play) with good mods. The Els, Elds and Tirs definitely help here. Just don't expect to get a Zod out of these any time soon. Or a Tal for that matter :laugh:
Oh, I would never say don't pick up El's/Elds. I'd just say only pick them up when you need them. If I needed nefs for blood gloves I'd cube all those el's too. I still compulsively collect anything above a Tal, and these aren't too bad to cube up to the Ort-Sol range if necessary. (More crafting recipes) I just know that when a person says they made an Um or Ist out of their mid-runes (Io and below) then they are lying.:soapbox:

In my experience if you cube as you go then you can expect to have a collection of Iths, Tals, and maybe Rals. It has been my experience that this is about the point that the drop rate for runes slows and the cubing rate becomes truly rediculous. That's not a bad thing though, as these can be useful runes!:grin:

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
I spent a fair bit of time cubing all my runes.

Let's say it wasn't for an Enigma ... but it was to satiate my desire to play the packrat role and to utilize the runes that I had.

Plus, I don't hoard low runes in ATMA anymore. I keep them in my stash and when I have 3 I cube 'em to the next level and then keep on going. It's not optimal I know ... but I just can't leave an El on the ground. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am crazy in the face of statistics and common sense. :scratch:

Ogtob

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't even leave chipped gems on the ground and also pick up blue items or white items that I think I can sell for 20,000 to 35,000.

I have one character whose whole stash is full of perfect gems and another character who is cubing non-perfects. I rarely use them but I can't throw them away. After working so hard to get them, I don't want to throw 3 away on a fruitless large charm re-roll.