Run Counter problems

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi all,

as the title implies, I have problems with Silospen's run counters. They used to run just fine, but since a week or two they keep on crashing on me during the second run. It's just the standard 'Java Platform doesn't work anymore' error screen.

I tried reinstalling both the run counters and Java, but to no avail.

The only thing I can think of right now is that around the time the problems started, there was a moment were D2 crashed on me, I rebooted my computer and I had some issues with several other D2 related stuff (D2 character which got set back a bit, GoMule not working, ...). Maybe this also caused my current run counter problems, although the IT guy at my work thought that it shouldn't matter, since I did complete re-installs.

So my obvious questions ... anyone else having issues with the run counter? Any idea what can cause mine? How I can solve this?

Thanks.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I heard from a few completely unrelated people (a customer from my workplace) that their Java applications are crashing with a rather nondescript message like "There's a problem with Java, so the program was terminated". This might be a Java problem. Did you try googling for the exact error message text?

Edit: I heard that the customer found the cause: A recent Windows update. As a first measure, you could revert to a previous restore point at which it worked or deactivate the particular update if you can figure out which one caused it. That's just a temporary measure, of course, so either a Java update or another Windows update will have to fix it at a later time.

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Reverting my windows to a previous restore point seems like a big step to take, but that's probably only because I have never done so. Would trying to downgrade my Java install to the previous version be a possibility to do first too? Also, if it's a Windows update conflicting with Java thing, wouldn't this be an issue for most people because of auto-updates?

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
Might be helpful to know which version of Windows you're running? Also are you using the advanced run counter or basic? Or do both crash?

Reverting to an earlier Windows build is fairly simple to do if it is available to you. That depends on your windows version. You could also use a system restore point and you should have some of those automatically. Both options are easy and safe and won't mess with your personal files as far as I know.

You could try using a system restore point very safely since it creates another restore point of your current situation before going to the restore point you select. Could be worth a shot, I've had it fix problems before.

Last edited:

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Windows usually creates a restore point on each update automatically. I suggest to have a look. Perhaps you might also notice that there are lots of old restore points wasting space on your HD :)

If you didn't have a Java update at the time your problems started, it probably hasn't been triggered by it.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm running Win 10. I tried uninstalling Java and install the previous version, but the run counters still crashed. And yes, that's on both counters.

I'll try the restore point thingy. I checked it earlier today, should indeed be simple and safe.

Thanks for the advice.

Espr

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're not able to get it to work, you could probably use autohotkey as a run timer. It's a bit less convenient in some ways, but you can pretty easily add your own metrics, such as a bosspack counter.

Something like,

Press a button to stop/start the method you use to determine time spent.
Press a button to increment number of runs.
Press a button to increment number of bosspacks
Press a button to print out your data to a spreadsheet.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I hope I'll still be able to get the runcounter to work. But the autohotkey definitely seems like a nice option as well.