Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rubik's Cube

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Trionth, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Rubik's Cube

A thread for the wonderful 3D puzzle.

Can you solve the Rubik's Cube? What about other cube puzzles (4x4x4. 5x5x5, Dodecahedron, Rubik's 360 etc...)

Post your times!
    Post your frustrations!
    Post your cool patterns!
    Post your speed solve algorithms! (I could use some help speed-cubing, can't seem to get the hang of it)

My bests so far are:
    3x3x3: consistently around 1 minute
    4x4x4: never solved (No middle, its hard :()
    5x5x5: Took me all day at a friends house to figure out
    Dodecahedron: 16 minutes (best)

I can also make a pretty cool pattern that I haven't found on the internet yet (maybe its original) I'll try to write it out.

Yay puzzles!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Re: Rubik's Cube

I don't have the intelligence, patience, or attention span to complete one of those things.

But kudos to those who can.

3. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I have a Rubik's on my desk. I can solve it in a few minutes (4-5ish?)

4. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

It isn't about intelligence, with the Rubik's Cube. It's simply about learning HOW to solve it, and then being able to recognize which moves you need to use. There's at least one book that teaches you the basic moves to swap blocks without screwing up the other block positions.

5. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Right, once you learn the algorithms, you can solve it in 5 minutes easy. To solve it faster is to learn how to speed cube (recognize the position of the individual cubes and solve with certain algorithms based on that) or just turn the block faster, learn little shortcuts

You can learn how to solve it in an hour using the internet or the book that comes with the cube.

6. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

Or you can do it the easy way - do a half rotation, and press up on one of the exposed corners. It'll pop out and it disassembles quickly and easily. Then just put it back together :) (It does "loosen" it a bit if you do it too many times, though...)

Or do it the stupid way and peel stickers to accomplish a few moves.... only problem is you could be creating two identical blocks, which means it'll be impossible to solve. Plus the stickers are never quick the same again after being peeled.

7. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Some moron at work tried to solve it and ended up peeling stickers off my cube. He still didn't get it, and now the stickers have fallen off completely, so I got 6 black squares, and I just imagine what colors they are (maybe thats why its so easy to solve now :D)

8. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

I thought Turb was our resident Rubiks nerd?

9. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Oh, I don't want to steal anyones thing. I'm new here, so I guess I didn't know.

Sorry.

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Yeah it's Turb.

I think there's a youtube video or something of one of his solves.

11. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Do you know the name of the video by chance? I would like to watch :)

12. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

i'll see if i can get it for you. Turb has that hobby and so does ThunderCat. he picked that hobby up. i'll let him say what his record was. ;)

13. Flux

Flux Administrator

I've been working a Rubik's Cube on and off for what, 25 years? I was a little kid when they first came out, and I got a book called something like, The Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube, and memorized the patterns, and have been able to solve it since. I have to use the little formulas though, and I've forgotten some of them, once I get to the bottom corners, so it takes me 2 or 3 minutes, at best. I have one sitting on my desk and I work it now and then; it's kind of meditative and relaxing.

There are newer methods that are about solving it in chunks, rather than level by level, and it's much faster. It doesn't sound too hard to learn, but I've never spent the time do to so, though I read about some years ago and was mildly-intrigued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik's_cube#Solutions

14. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

I've never tried and probably never will; don't have the patience for those things.

But the real question is, have you solved a 3x3x3x3x3 rubik's cube before? :eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5hu-yTfzE

15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

16. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I like taking a solved cube and putting patterns in them. Simple to do, and simple to undo.

17. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

I can't do them at all...D: my life feels empty.

18. ThunderCat

ThunderCat IncGamers Member

I managed to get a 49 second best and reach a 1:21 average using the Fridrich F2L (First Two Layers) method and beginner method for OLL (Orient Last Layer) and PLL (permute last layer). Learning how do use either the Fridrich or Beginner (Layer By Layer) methods isn't hard, you just need to practice quite a bit. I started with watching Dan Brown's tutorial on youtube, used that for a few months, then I found Badmephisto's guides which helped me learn intuitive F2L. So if anyone wants to learn how to speed cube, I suggest you find that guy's channel on youtube and start learning.
    A good cube also helps. At this moment, I'm using a DIY cube from rubiks.com. Not the best for speed solving but it works nicely with some silicone spray in it.
    Think I've gone on too much now :). From what I hear also, Turb seems to be quite good at it, so I'll pass the ball in his court.

19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The first layer isn't difficult to be solved just by thinking a bit about it while the rest needs a systematic approach. I learned a layer by layer method from a magazine. Later I learned an 8 step method to rotate the places of 3 cornerstones of layer 3 (I knew a 22 step method before).

My personal record is about 45-50 seconds, from 25 years ago, but it was luck because the second and third layer needed just a few changes. I needed 90 seconds on average if I took efforts to hurry up. I could still solve it until about a years ago, but much more slowly and when I tried it recently, I failed. I still have my cube, but is's rather worn out and falls apart easily.

All about a 3³ cube.

20. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Throw a 4th (or 5th) dimension in there and I'm completely baffled. I don't understand how people can keep track of the cubes that dissapear.

Yeah, the speed cubing algorithms solve it a lot faster. The only probelm is that for some of the methods you have to learn over 40 different algorithms. Then you have to know what algorithm to use based on how the cubes are oriented.

49 Seconds is very nice :D

I use the same strategy to solve it, its the long way, but its simple. Plus, you only have to memorize a few algorithms.