Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rough football(soccer) in England

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hamburger, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Hamburger

Hamburger IncGamers Member

Rough football(soccer) in England

First of all, hi. This is my first post in the OTF but let's give it a shot ^^

In case you didn't know, football in England is known to be one of the toughest in the world.....fouls are less penalized and contact is kinda encouraged.

This weekend it got a little too rough in the game Chelsea-Reading....

Here's a small article about it:

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...06/10/16/SOCCER_Cech_Lead.html&TEAMHD=reading

You can find some more on the internet, but that pretty much sums it up.
    Basically, in the first minute, one of Reading's players went for the ball as Cech(Chelsea's goalkeeper) caught it, but he found his head instead and fractured his skull. Fortunately, according to chelseafc.com, Petr Cech is conscious right now and recovered from the operation which took place today.

I've watched the premier league for years and I've always said that even though they are really really good...they are way too rough and that can't be good.

What do you think?

:wink2:

2. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I know from experience that holding back in Football makes the game really boring. Unfortunately sometimes, things like this happen. That's why there are Refs to call fouls. But decreasing the threshold for calling a foul sure isn't that answer...

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I kicked a goalie in the face and in the ribs(different occasions). I didn't mean to and I felt really horrible, I was kicking as hard as I could.

A fractured skull is pretty lucky IMHO, still sucks, but could have been much worse.

4. Hamburger

Well...I play football, and I'm a goalie, so maybe it hurts me more or something...and I've been kicked in the ribs, but not in the face......i've been stepped on though :laugh:

But there are places where they are not as rough as England and football is still fun(read: Argentina, Brasil, Spain)

Have you guys watched the premier league? I've seen players kick or punch a rival player 30 metres away from the ball and getting only a yellow card :shocked:

5. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

Really? Punch a player and only get a yellow card? Could you provide some specific exmaples, to prove that this is the norm more than the exception?

Honestly, this is just one incident that happened to result badly. If you watch the match/ the two incidents, both times the players were going for ball, and the keppers went for the ball as well, and happened to come of the worse.

Also how often do you watch matches from Argentina, Brazil or Spain to be able to compare their leagues to the premier league? :wink3:

6. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

I think Rugby is a far superior sport.

7. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

I watch Dutch, German Spanish and English soccer and there isn't a lot of difference in sportmanship/brutality, English soccer may be a bit more on the rough side compared to Spanish, but not much.

David.

8. Hamburger

Often enough, I get all of those(well, not brazilian, I admit, but spanish and argentinian soccer yes) on my cable TV and watch most important games...

Don't get me wrong, I love english football, that's why I don't like the fact that the way they play might get shadowed by the anti-sportmanship(if it's a word) they may play with.

read this:
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/17102006/3/cech-s-father-predicts-year-absence.html

He might be out of the game for an entire year....
    I like Lehmann's comments in that article, I think he hits the spot....

If you guys want to look like the macho type who don't back out, go ahead, that's real easy to do over the internet :thumbsup: . I for one think that football is a sport and should be played as such, even if that means playing with less brutality.

9. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

So when will they realize that helmets and pads can be good things?

10. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Wouldn't help much. The knees and ankles would still be unprotected and that's the areas that are most at risk. I'd say that roughly half the people I played football with back in the day had some sort of problem with their knees, ankles or ligaments at some point. Some probably still do. One guy I played with had to have knee-surgery when we were fourteen years old.

Fortunately for me I was a goalie back then so my legs still work fine. I did some nasty stuff to other players though. I made a point out of always leading with a knee in duels in the air. The reasons were that I usually had my arms up and had to protect the body with something else and also that the other players got really careful and passive inside the penalty area after one or two of those things. The best part about it is that since I usually ended up with the ball and the knee coming up is sort of natural when you go up in the air it always looked like a complete accident when I nailed someone with a knee. I never got a yellow card for doing it. Ever. :laugh:

11. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

Lots of padding is great when the average play is like 5 seconds.

Consistant effort with few breaks for 45minutes will soon destroy someone wearing too much padding.

Helmets make headding the ball a bit harder.

(Not to say Footballers are better than American Footballers, but that the sports focus on very different aspects of fitness)

12. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

I concur wholeheartedly.

13. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

The game isn't too rough in my opinion, it's just right.

Hunt didn't mean to injure Cech, he didn't even mean to follow in. What happened was his leg was caught [by Cech] and this caused his knee to collide with Cech's head. Unfortunate incident but it shouldn't change the rules under any circumstances.

PS Lehman is a ****ing dick, he complains about ****ing everything. Goalies already get too much protection. If you jump in the air and the keeper jumps towards you, misses the ball but collides with you it usually results in a free out for some stupid reason. Lehman really boils my blood. You a gunner fan, don't tell me you're a Chavski supporter??

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Pfft, all that padding and helmets... what are you, sissies?