Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Root User

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Mar 23, 2004.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Root User

Ok I updated my handy little widget library and I got BetterWhat'sGoingOn just for the occasional kick and lo a behold it popped up with some programs that I have never heard anything about. Now I know that the system has little things running in the background, but there is one thing that is bothering me iChatAgent that is sucking up lots of my feeble iBook's CPU. This program is usually about at about 35% I have seen it go much much higher. After digging around a little I have found out that the agent is really just that silly little iChat bubble in the upper-right hand corner. Now I have looked around and have only found on site that even mentions the importance of it. . .according to it there is none deleting it will only get rid of the little balloon. I wouldn't mind this since I use the dock icon to start iChat, my main question is(Yes, I know I am very slow at getting to the point) is this thing really important. . .Apple.com didn't help and neither did MacOSXhints.com. The other things I would like to know is how to log onto the root user in Jaguar. Ye, I know that you can really cook your system messing around in the root so all I would do is delete iChatAgent and log out.

So Unix/Linux/Mac gurus I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject.

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

1. THE EASY WAY OUT
    You can get rid of the little speech bubble in your menu bar by dragging it off while holding down the Apple key. That might be enough to take it off of your processes list.

2. ANOTHER PRETTY EASY WAY
    If you do want to keep the iChat client around for talking to AIM people or whatever, you can fire up iChat.app, go to the preferences (in the iChat menu in the program), and unclick the "show status in menu bar" thingy.

3. ALMOST LIKE UNIX
    Inside Applications/Utilities/ is a program called Activity Monitor. You can go in there and select processes that are eating lots of CPU resources and kill them (select process and hit Apple-Option-Q) without going through the unix voodoo in Terminal.app.

4. FASTER UNIX, KILL KILL
    Open up Terminal.app and type
    and hit return. This gets you a list of ongoing processes. (You can view more processes by dragging the window and making it bigger.) Make a note of the PID number next to the process that's eating resources. Hit "Q" to escape the top process and then type
    kill -9 123
    replacing "123" with the PID you want to stop. This is the same thing as (3) above, but now you're playing with power! (You might need to use "sudo" here; see next step for explanation.)

5. DEATH AND DESTRUCTION
    If you never use the program and do really want to get rid of it forever, you need to go to Terminal.app and do this (type/paste in one line at a time and hit return after each line):

cd Library/Preferences/
    rm com.apple.iChat*
    cd Library/Caches/
    rm -r com.apple.iChat*
    cd Library/Images/
    rm -r iChat*
    cd /Library/Preferences/
    rm com.apple.iChat*
    cd /Library/Caches/
    rm -r com.apple.iChat*
    cd /Library/Images/
    rm -r iChat*
    cd /Applications/
    rm iChat.app

If the computer stops you at some point (after an rm command) and tells you you don't have permission to do that, you type the same command prefaced with "sudo":

sudo rm -r com.apple.iChat*

Then it'll warn you not to muck around with stuff if you don't know what you're doing and ask for a password. After you input your password (no asterisks or anything show up on the screen) you have a 5-minute (I think) window in which to totally destroy your system. :teeth:

(Note: You might be able to replace all these commands with one simple one:
    sudo rm -r *iChat*
    but I'm not Unix guru enough to know whether this will search through all directories on your disk to get what it needs to.)

One of the first two methods should free up your CPU though. Heck, a restart might be enough for that. How much RAM do you have in your machine, by the way?

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I have 256MB which seems to run fine for me and I never really felt the system was going slow, but when I program I don't even use is eating up all this CPU bugs the hell outta me.

Thanks for the help I will try them until I get something to work. . .and no a restart doesn't work. I think it is because all the programs in what ever the Mac version of startup file has iChatAgent in it. . .can't seem to find that bugger if it even exists.

EDIT: I did the third one in the long run. . .its not Application Viewer its Process Viewer JFYI. I had 4 of them running for I don't know what reason and I can turn all but one off. The good news is I got 50mb of RAM back and 53% CPU back I am a happy camper. Thanks for the help :thumbsup: . If I didn't need it to run iChat then I would try the uber 1337 root user route. . .but I(read: my family) would probably come in and say "what does that button do?" and then press it, killing my system for good, before I get a chance to explain. Ever seen DeeDee from Dexter's Lab? Well then you have seen my entire family.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

In 10.3 it's called Activity Viewer and it rolls in the CPU monitor and all that stuff into one app. In any case glad you got your resources back!

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

The funny thing is that the three other sites I tried where there were supposed Mac gurus said that the process could not be turned off and that it was normal for it to eat up that much RAM/CPU! Very 0_o indeed.

Anywho :drink: to Durf the all Knowing Mac King of the Universe.