Roomates and bills

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Roomates and bills

My roommate (call her A) has been playing hardball with me as of recently. She would not give me a definite answer if she is renewing the lease for next year or now. Which leaves the rest of us in a bind. Also she has avoid paying her share of the bill to me. Each person usually pays a bill and at the end of the month, we reconcile the bills and pay each other back. As of right now she owes me ~$60. The next bill has arrived and she still hasn't paid for the previous bill yet. Now the funny thing is that the bill is in her name. It was a mess in the beginning but I pay for the phone and internet bill even though it is registered into her name. Now I can pay hard ball with her too and let the bill over due. Which might put a small ding on her record. Which would give her a wake up call that things aren't going to work just in her favor. Note, this is beyond talking things over. Tensions are high and emotions are boiling over. My other roommates are sick and tired of this one girl who is loud as a jet engine and always have friends over late into the night, usually during finals or midterms too. What do you think OTF? Should I give this girl a nice slap to wake her up and let her know that there is a new sheriff in town and that her way has got to change? Or should I just pay the damn bill and keep my mouth shut?

Note: I know her plan is to probably stay but not sign the lease. Which is a no-no because that puts the ball in her court. She can pack her bags and leave one day and never pay a cent. From what I know, she still has 2 more quarters here (about 5-6 months). She wants to be able to leave without looking for someone to take over her rent nor what to pay for rent if she leaves and no one is able to take over.

Wuhan_Clan

Diabloii.Net Member
Have you talked at all to her about it? Just tell her what will happen if she doesn't make up her mind and pay. Let her know the consequences beforehand so she can't come back later saying "she didn't know" or something like that.

Pierrot le Fou

Diabloii.Net Member
Have you thought about talking to the landlord? He may be interested to know that he/she has several tenants willing to pay on time, and one person who doesn't pay on time and causes hassles in the building. He may very well tell her that he won't renew her lease, who knows? And then, where oh where would he find new tenants to lease the place to?

If she isn't paying the bill, let it go overdue. Collect the money for the bills from the rest of you, and refuse to give it to her until she pays her portion into the pot too.

Don't screw around with money. It isn't worth it. She wants to act as if she's above her credit rating? Well let her learn the hard way.

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
These things really don't have to be explicitly spelled out. If you don't pay your bills, your gonna get burned. Note, she is 23 years old. I cannot stand by her side and say "did you pay the bill this month?" Bottom line, she needs to get her crap straight.

Wuhan_Clan

Diabloii.Net Member
Corneo said:
These things really don't have to be explicitly spelled out. If you don't pay your bills, your gonna get burned. Note, she is 23 years old. I cannot stand by her side and say "did you pay the bill this month?" Bottom line, she needs to get her crap straight.
True, but if you confront her now, who knows? Maybe she will change. One chance isn't too few or too many I think.

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Nothing confront her better than finding a nice letter from the phone company that says "pay up!"

I am such a jerk...

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
If it's in her name, she takes the fall when it doesn't get paid. Well, you take a fall in the form of not having phone service or electricity or whatever when it gets turned off, but it's her credit rating.

If she's got a phone line in her room, clip it. If she's got a computer hooked up to the service, take away her ethernet cabling. If she doesn't pay, she doesn't get the service.

As for her unwillingness to tell you whether she'll be there again next year, why not start showing the room to prospective renters? Getting a few strangers in there with measuring tapes while she's trying to do homework or whatever might let her know you're serious about this. :D

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh don't think we haven't done that. Still no budge. She really wants to pull a quick one over us. The bill is for the phone and internet. Only her and I share the phone, while the rest of my roommates share the internet. If I cut the service, I can just borrow my other roommate's cell phone and leech of the wireless signal from next door. No harm to me.

Forcefeedback

Diabloii.Net Member
Corneo said:
Oh don't think we haven't done that. Still no budge. She really wants to pull a quick one over us. The bill is for the phone and internet. Only her and I share the phone, while the rest of my roommates share the internet. If I cut the service, I can just borrow my other roommate's cell phone and leech of the wireless signal from next door. No harm to me.
Sounds like your good to go and teach her a lesson.
*evil laughter*

Just make sure there is no way to cut the heat off from a single apartment. If you live in a cold area it's not nice to come down with the flu because someone else is acting like a *****.

I wish you luck in the search for justice :thumbsup:

ASTRALdragon

Diabloii.Net Member
ahh brings back memories of my dorm days... now i just have 1 roomie and he's kool as hell. i say confront her about it (ESPECIALLY the lease thing; someone once pulled that on my roomie and i and it wasn't pretty, it is insanely hard to find a roomie in the middle of a quarter). if she's still sketchy about it, get consensus from your other roomies and if they agree, boot the biatch. housing is something not to be messed around with in college. good luck fellow UC student :clap: .

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Update:
Talked with landlord. I basically told her our situtation and said that eveyone will be moving out except for me. I will be getting new roomates to fill the spot, etc etc. So looks like things are good to fly next year. Funny thing is that A was talking to my other roomate about moving to a 2 bedroom within the same apartment. A knows she is graduating in only a few quarters and will be leaving. She told B that when she leaves and can't find anyone to take over her share of the rent, then tough luck. I told this to the landlord and they landlord's reply was "Well, I will go after her in court and then it will be tough luck for her."

Backdoor Bandit

Diabloii.Net Member
Corneo said:
Update:
Talked with landlord. I basically told her our situtation and said that eveyone will be moving out except for me. I will be getting new roomates to fill the spot, etc etc. So looks like things are good to fly next year. Funny thing is that A was talking to my other roomate about moving to a 2 bedroom within the same apartment. A knows she is graduating in only a few quarters and will be leaving. She told B that when she leaves and can't find anyone to take over her share of the rent, then tough luck. I told this to the landlord and they landlord's reply was "Well, I will go after her in court and then it will be tough luck for her."
Nice to see that you got things "sorted" :thanks:

-Backdoor Bandit

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok... she owes you $60. Tell her you don't want cash, and then squeeze her butt. Go from there.