Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rome

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Rome

The series starts this week in Australia and I've heard good things so far.

Anyone here seen it?

Is it worth my time and effort? Is it as good as I've heard?

Rome for those that don't know

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Its not bad, i've seen it twice. Marcus Antonius seemed a bit much but overall its good.

It tells the story about a couple of legioneers (sp?), or better the story about a Centurio and a legioneer and along the way all the great romans from that time get in the picture.

3. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Its good. Lots or politics and intrigue, balanced with a healthy dose of rough sex and brutal violence.

4. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Is that the BBC co-production one? Sword & sandals stuff, lots of sex & apparently some lesbian scenes too. Everything a growing boy needs!

5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I only watched it for the sex and violence. Neither were worth it.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

It sounds like it has potential, but we'll see I suppose.

7. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I've watched the Rome series and recommended it. Although the overall plot is well known, the sets, acting, intrigue, and subplots of Vorenus and Pullo are quite well done. The gladiator arena battle near the end of the series is quite brutal and realistically done.

As the final episode ends with the death of Julius Caesar, I have always wondered: Does HBO plan to continue on with the series?

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You mean into Octavian's time?

9. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Absolutely ... nothing like continuing the series forward into the civil war with Antony, Cleopatra and the naval battle of Actium.

10. HAMC8112

I think they already did that, think its called Empire or something with Peter O'tool as Octavianus.

Iirc. Maybe it wasnt the same makers, BBC was involved.

11. Sokar Rostau

I think it is a safe bet that it will continue at least up until Actium. According to imdb there are already two seasons and the cast is signed on until 2007.

I think it is only logical for the series to continue up until Actium if Octavian, Pompey and Antony have significant roles in the current series (I also noted that Cleopatra is introduced in the first season).

12. HAMC8112

It would be a refreshing change, as most things Roman always end with the death of Ceasar.

Very annoying, He was the greatest Roman ever though.

13. Sokar Rostau

What's more annoying is that, because of this concentration on Caesar, when most people are asked "who was the first Roman Emperor?" they immediately answer "Caesar".

14. HAMC8112

What do you mean? He wasnt? :grin:

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I dunno, it would be something of an anticlimax. The death of Caesar is a natural end to the series, maybe Octavian's time could be the subject of a second series.

It is a natural place to finish, the death of Caesar was the final nail in the coffin of the Republic (or at least it confirmed it), what comes after is the birth of the Empire.

Well, they're right - every Roman Emporer was Caesar...

They're not too far off though, he was made dictator effectively (and almost officially) for life, he was Emporer in all but name towards the end. Try as he did not to show it.

16. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Because Im sad & apparently have no life :cry: ; saw the advert for this on BBC1 & thought of the people in this thread who might wanna keep an eye out for this docu-drama; or not as the case may be: Ancient Rome: The rise & fall of an Empire. Not the official site I dont think but all I could find on BBC on-line.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well I saw most of it last night, it's pretty crappy. The "odd couple" pairing of the two leads and the appropriate snottiness of the kid who plays Octavius are the only elements that really work. That guy they got to play Caesar is all wrong, he's not even blond for God's sake. I also noticed a number of anachronisms (beyond the ones that are absolutely necessary).

18. Sokar Rostau

I watched it, I liked it, I will tape it every week.

It would have been better if I didn't have to keep switching channels every 30 seconds in the last ten minutes because it was so close to Battlestar Galactica. Next week it's in a different timeslot so that's okay.

When I first heard about Rome it was a bunch of people complaining about all the sex and violence. If anybody that is going to be offended by sex and violence continues to watch a television program after seeing animated graffiti depicting warfare, heads exploding and Priapus* that's their own fault. Tough ****.

I was impressed. I liked Empire but couldn't be bothered to record it and had no desire to rush out and watch it again, this looks like it will be on my DVD shelf, based solely on the first ep.

*I never thought I'd see Priapus depicted in any form outside of a documentary. When I saw the graffiti my response was spantaneous laughter, the spilling of coffee and the word "They actually put Priapus there?" How times change.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Battlestar was on last night? Aw damnit, I really need to get a new TV guide.

20. Sokar Rostau

Last night's ep of BSG was mainly a stand-alone. It had Lucy Lawless (with her native accent I should add) as a reporter given unlimited access to the Galactica by order of Adama and Roslyn, doing a documentary to "put a human face on the military". There was an important arc element at the end, but maybe it will be referred to the next time you see her. Oh, and Tigh was almost murdered by that pilot responsible for the civilian massacre a few weeks ago.

Actually, now that I think of it, it had a very well done combat scene. Instead of watching the Viper/Raider action the whole scene was played out in the Galactica with Lucy Lawless and her cameraman filming the crew and their reactions. Very effective because you only 'see' the battle over the radio, not despite that. [/BSG]