Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rogues -> Hot or Cold?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by LicentiaBJ, Jul 14, 2010.

1. LicentiaBJ

LicentiaBJ IncGamers Member

Rogues -> Hot or Cold?

Greetings,

After reading info on the various mercs, I've settled on using a Rogue for my Pure Druid Summoner build. What I was surprised to see though - on the web - was people talking about how a Fire Rogue may actually be better than an Ice Rogue. When I played Diablo II many years ago, it was always general consensus that the Ice Rogue was best, but some more recent postings on the 'Net show a contrary opinion. Apparently the freeze effectiveness of the Ice Rogue drops quite a bit in Hell Difficulty, so people think Fire may be better.

Please, share both your vote and your opinion as to which is best.

Thanks!

:coffee:

2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: Rogues -> Hot or Cold?

Fire rogue I think has better range

However, your CE does phys/fire damage, so Cold rogue will give you a third element for the very rare occasion you meet a Physical immune with high fire res that you cant break with Amp, such as a Possessed monster which can't be cursed; or more practically, just for monsters with high Fire+Phys resists.

You really sure you dont want an A2 merc as a summoner, though? The ability to get two auras (one native, one from a weapon like Insight or Pride) will immensely boost your army.

3. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I think you misread droid.
    LicentiaBJ is making a druid summoner.
    However, I agree though. act 2 mercs are better.

As for which is better. Can you tell us what would be better about fire rogues LicentiaBJ? As for as I know, you should gain a little bit of damage though that's completely cancelled by the high number of fire resistance. So you only have the freeze time - that is quite small - to lose.

As for range, why would that be of importance? don't all arrow fly equally far? and even if it does, isn't the 'awareness range' more important. And that one should be equal right. So even if a fire rogue would fire further, if she doesn't aim at monsters further, I see little use unless she has pierce (something she won't have if you use a good bow).

4. Bronx

Bronx IncGamers Member

As a Summoner Druid most of the times you will use Dire Wolfs to kill, and they can double their base damage by eating corpses. While an Ice Rogue is very useful with her freeze, she will destroy many useful corpses.

5. jhtvman

jhtvman IncGamers Member

For me it depends on whether or not I want corpses. If yes, then fire. If no, then ice.

6. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

I loved a Act 1 Cold merc with 'Ice' on my hdin for the longest time, the corpses didn't seem to shatter too too often when running chaos/to baal. I always figured that the fire merc wouldn't do enough damage in hell when pretty much everything is FI