Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rock on

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by sloan, May 17, 2005.

1. sloan

sloan IncGamers Member

Rock on

Good evening.

I am a newbie.

Perhaps I'm posting on the wrong forum or this has already been asked but I'll fire away.

What drew me to this game was mistakenly browsing to a Paladin-Class forum such as this (might even be this one , whatever). I'm a big fan of Fantasy , Paladins and Knights in general.

Anyway , I was quite intrigued about the Freeze-Alot , or whatever it is. The Zeal Paladin that uses Holy Freeze. I decided to try and join the fun.

So at the point I'm at now , I have :

1) Bought and installed the game.
    2) Made a Paladin who is level 25/Ladder/USWest
    3) Spent his points in Zeal/Holy Freeze/ Resist Cold

Ok , so now *drum roll*

Now the newbiest of the newb question of them all:

And I quote (myself) -

"How the hell do I use Zeal and Holy Freeze in unison, or in some kind of combination?"

The INSTANT I (scroll my mousewheel) to Zeal from HF , my freeze effect ends. Those lumbering frozen giants all wake up and start hacking me , and my 132-173 Holy Freeze dmg (ok I have crap gear so far) turns into 23-53 Zeal dmg. How the heck! My guy seems to take everyone apart pretty well with H/Freeze alone , but how do I incorperate Zeal into the equation , or more likely , when? I've tried various ways of switching faster , but I would have to have the reflexes of a housefly to cash in on what's left of holy freeze by the time I scroll to zeal. Then again , I am a newb.

I'm doing OK on most things just using holy freeze, but I'm barely using Zeal at all and it seems a waste of points. One place where I do seem to switch back and forth a little easier is on bosses. Man some of them like Isual ? sp? The first dude in act4 and Duriel seem to take forever.

Oh Duriel. That dill-hole took me forever to kill and ate up like 150k of my savings trying to get past. Apparently the Freeze-alot (or at least the gimp way I am playing one) is not the best on that dude.

Any suggestions how I can un-screw myself and start doing a little better? Any other Paladin sub-classes that might be a little more my speed? I'm usually a quick study but , ah well maybe sucking a little on this game so far.

Thanks in advance.

Rock on ,

Sloan

I need to read the rules of this forum.

2. rare

rare IncGamers Member

To have zeal and holy freeze on at once;

-Put zeal as your left click skill (go to the bottom left, and click the skill icon and set it to zeal)
    -Put holy freeze as your RIGHT click skill (go to the bottom right, and select the holy freeze icon from the skills.)

You already have points in them, so you shoulndt be adding anymore (unless of course you haven't maxed what you wish to max). Simply set zeal to left click, holy freeze to the right-click skill, and you will be able to zeal while having holy freeze on at the same time.

holy freeze is on the right click, but actually rightclicking will not do anything with holy freeze, or any other aura. By having it there, it just means it's active while you use a combat skill from your left-click skill.

So keep HF on at all times, try to not even change your right-click skill. And keep things like charge and zeal and smite (basically all combat skills) hotkey'd on your left-click skill.

To hotkey simply go to the left/right-click skill icon, and click it. When you see all your available skills that you can switch to, simply hover over one of them, and press one of the F keys. You will now use that skill, on THAT side by pressing whatever key you just assigned it. If you assigned zeal as F1 on your left click, and HF as F2 on your right-click spot, then pressing F1 and F2 will quickly bring you ready to battle anything.

If you find it difficult to use the F keys, go to the menu to change this. In a game, press ESC, then game options, then configure hotkeys (or something similar; you can't miss it). Then go to where it says Skill key 1, skill key 2, 3, etc.. (again, not the actual text, but you can't miss it; look for the sequential skills).

Press 'skill number 1' say, and it will begin flashing. once it's flashing, keep your mouse over it (i dont remember if the mouse part is necessary), and press whatever key you would eventually like to assign to a skill. What this means is that insstead of using the F keys, you may now assign skill/auras to the letters; QWERTSDFZXCVB for example.

Some people find it easier to use those than to reach for the F keys. After youve changed this, REMEMBER to click accept, else this wont take effect. After that's done, simply go back to the left/right skill choices, and set zeal to Q and holy freeze to W, or whatever you like.

The typical fanatic zealot is a great starter character. It's steady, strong, durable, capable of a lot, and doesn't require that much knowledge of the game. It's simply click and hold, but the game just seems to pull you in :eek:

But a HF zealot is an interesting choice; i would stick with it just for how original it is. I haven't seen many in NL, maybe in L they are numerous ><.

I hope this helped, and if you have any questions as to the mechanics of the game, feel free to ask. They are usually pretty simple questions taht you'll get a hang on to quick once you know the answer.

good luck!

3. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Its a very common question for pally's at about lvl 25. The answer is to put zeal on your left mouse button (click on the normal attack arrow and you will be able to hotkey it,) and keep holy freeze on the right all of the time when attacking.

Your next question is going to be, "Then how do I move and still zeal when I want to?" Well, if you left-click on an empty spot, you will run there, if you left click on a monster you will zeal, and if you hold down the shift key and left click anywhere you will zeal. Meanwhile, holy freeze is always active. It might take a little getting used to, but shift click is the answer.

Zeal on the left, HF on the right, and hotkey other skills you might use where ever it suits you best (I tend to put town portal, holy shield, and other utility skills on the right, and vengeance, charge, and other attack skills on the left.) And don't be ashamed of asking. That's why the forums exist.

EDIT: Rare, you beat me to it, you quick devil.

EDIT AGAIN: It is also helpful if you're a little more descriptive in the topics of your posts. "Help with First Zealot," is more helpful to other forum members than, "Rock On." That's not a flame, just a bit of friendly advice. :cool:

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hehe the guys had more or less touched on the basics on zealots but perhaps i try to explain what you would need to survive in nightmare/hell mode. Firstly, there are 2 thing you could do with any char : Player vs Monster (PvM) or Player vs Player (PvP) In PvM life leech matters and basically its how much life you replenish as a function of the damage you are doing. The bigger damage you are doing, the more life you are replenishing for yourself. Items like Cathan's ring which gives 6% life leech are examples of this. Mana leech on the other hand replenishes your mana and work just like life leech and it is to prevent you to run out of mana in order to be zealing or executing other combat skills requiring mana. Also the speed at which you deliver your blows comes into play and to cut a long story short the fastest zeal a pally could obtain is 4 frames per attack (fpa) The Paladin FAQ here has a link showing how much ias (increased attack speed) is needed zealing with various weapons. Increase attack speed comes frm items like gloves, amulets, shael runes and jewels. Since you are a holyfreeze zealot you have to study the 'zeal without fanaticsm' column. Base weapon speeds are measures of how fast a weapon is. For example a war hammer is base speed 20 while a war sword is base speed 0. The slowest is 20 and fastest is -30. With leech, dmg, speed you will need resistance and blocking for best results in the latter stages of the game. Resistance help you withstand elemental attacks while blocking helps blocking physical attacks by well blocking a certain % hehe. Resistamce could be obtained via quests, jewels, runes, diamonds and charms. The neat thing about the pally is that he has a skill called Holy Shield which helps blocking and defense a lot :D You may want to hire a mercenary too and it does help killing speed/safety too though some see them more trouble than worth as they keep dying but with decent gear a merc could be handy to have in my opinion. Lastly good choice with the Paladin - he is a well balanced character! The Necromancer and Paladin are my first chars when i started this game years back and to this day they are my favourite along with the Barbarian. In a way all of them are 'knights' as they fight for the light but looking at the Necromancer and his merry band of skeletons and Barbs being pagans and all one might wonder lol (kidding) Hope i helped and welcome to the game :D

5. sloan

sloan IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot folks , you guys are the best. That makes things so much clearer.

EDIT*****

Ok , I'm not sure how to map the skill to my mouse.

I know how to map the skill to my F keys. I have say , Holy Freeze F2 and Zeal F1, but I have no idea how to assign those to my mouse.

I went to configure , but left and right clicking on the key-mapper function there does nothing, or just selects/deselects the skill.

Thanks again everyone.

Rock on ,

Sloan

6. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

To assign them up to your mouse...well. There are skills which can be selected either in the right icon skill or the left icon. On the other hand, some skills only can be maped on the right icon. The thing is to map them up in the way you can use both at same time when possible. For this, place your mouse on the left icon box, and click on it. Many boxes pops up, showing all the skills available on the left icon. Notice there are only combat skills, not auras, on the left icon. Now, in order to assign a hotkey to the skill you fancy, just place the mouse over that skill (dont click) and then press once the key you want to asign to taht skill. You will notice the character of the key appears inside the skill box, and since now on, every time you press this key, that skill will be selected on the left icon (or left mouse-click). You can do it with all the skills that comes up when you mouse-click on the left icon. I suggest you only to do it in the skills you are to use for sure. With the right icon skill proceed like with the left one, I suggest youa gain only to set auras to the right icon.

7. sloan

sloan IncGamers Member

Got it, thanks Ferro and thanks everyone.

This is so much better.

Thanks again ,

Sloan

8. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Sloan what is your acct on uswest. Dont tell me your password.

I have some items I would like to give to you because I couldn't sell them to any one, any ways. I cannot play right now so expect to hear from me, Sooner or latter.