Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rock climbing walls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Aug 31, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Rock climbing walls

Has anyone ever done this? They have a nice one in school and I am thinking of taking the certification classes.

It looks fun. How strenuous of a work out is it?

I think I may take the spinning class at 6:45 am as well.

2. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

In Austin they have a place called Main Event that has a rock climbing wall. I tried it once and found that getting to the top is a lot of work. In my opinion, this is more an exercise to keep in shape than to get in shape.

3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Rock climbing is for those already in shape. You're more likely to get the results you want out of an elliptical machine...

4. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

Yes, there is just one thing I'd like to inform you off. Trust the person safeguarding you with the rope down.

EDIT: Arg.. indoors, once again ignore me

5. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I dont like those walls.

Sure you have a safety line and all but if you fall its still like going down a cheese grader

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It is a pretty good strength workout, not much in the way of cardio though.

Use your legs, not your arms. For some reason people try to do a mission impossible style one armed climb, won't happen.

I used to hold the record at Scout camp for the rock tower, the guy who beat me didn't really climb though. . .six guys pulled him up.

7. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Ah, Kow, as unpretentious as ever I see.

Still, you're right on your first two counts; climbing will build strength more than it improves fitness. Of course being fit helps a lot when you climb. If you forgo the gym and head outdoors and do some more extended climbs, say 30 metres+, you can give your heart a pretty good workout.

Even better is bouldering, that is, climbing not upwards but sideways around the perimeter of the gym. Choose the easiest holds and you won't pump yourself out before you've done a few laps.

8. zodiac66

I am not in that bad of shape. If it is using mostly the legs, I am fine. It just looked like something fun to do. Plus, it will vary my workout and make it less boring.

9. The Future now

The Future now Banned

They have one on the cruise ship I'm going on this winter, I think that if you fall off you're going for a swim.

10. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

I don't think rock climbing on a wall is too strenuous, but as Freet said, it seems more like something for staying in shape than getting into shape.

I will say, though, that the first time I ever went on a wall was hard on my hands. It's probable that I didn't have good technique and things like that, but after two hours of getting used to it, I couldn't grip a pencil. It got a lot better after the first time, of course, but the first time might be rough.

11. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

That's the key, innit? Vary your workout. Smeg is incorrect as usual, rock climbing is for anyone regardless of fitness level - though indoors on a wall is a bit odd to me.

It will really work out your upper body, especially the triceps and lats; typical 'problem' areas for women. Give it a shot and listen to your instructor. Oh, and never ever step on the belaying rope. Have fun!

12. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I don't know about walls, but I went rock climbing once in Yosemite on a long route called the Royal Arches and it was the most physically exhausting thing I have ever done.

I doubt a wall is much less intense if you force yourself to do it for long periods of time. Plus, you'll have water whenever you need it.

13. zodiac66

Here are all the instruction classes offered: http://www.ysu.edu/reccenter/adventure_programs/clinics.shtml

It does really sound like fun.

14. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

15. zodiac66

I think I would be more of the white water rafting type.

I have often thought of skydiving as well. But, with my bad back, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Goodness, I do like my avatar.

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I started climbing 8 years ago. One time up the wall and I was hooked. Still remains one of the most fun things I've ever done. I've always liked sports, but rock climbing blows them all away. Definitely my favorite. I highly recommend that you try it out.

It works pretty much every muscle in your body, including the ones you weren't aware of. To address the points others have touched on:

-Like most physical activities, it's easier if you're already in shape. It is not out of the question for the less fit to get into rock climbing though. it may take longer, but the potential is the same for everyone. Even the physically fit will be using new muscles on the wall, so there's a bit of time before anyone is "rock climbing fit."

-It is largely anaerobic, though it does get the heart pumping and the lungs heaving once in a while. Rock climbing is about body control, staying calm and loose, and pacing yourself. You'll learn how to rest on the wall and give each of your body parts a break at key points. It's not a sport for the impatient.

Once you learn how to fall that's not a problem. You definitely end up with scrapes and bruises, but you usually don't even notice them until you're done climbing and packing up.

Indeed. Your arms hold you on the wall, your legs push you up. Though as with any rule, it's not absolute; you will need your arms to get you past certain situations.

Your forearms will hate you after your first few times, as will the palms of your hands. But the muscles will strengthen and the callouses will build over time.

Your first climb ever was Royal Arches? Haha, awesome. Props to you.

17. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

It is!

Not terribly, IIRC. More so than chess and less so than swimming. Like any other sport you'll ache a bit after your first go. You don't have to be in great shape though, and like Ev_ says, the muscles you use aren't ones that you usually excercise in other sports anyway. The only persons I would dissuade from taking up climbing are the obese.

I tried it once a bit over ten years ago and I felt the exact same way. It doesn't look that exciting, but damn... it's one of the most entertaining physical activities around. I and a few friends wanted to start climbing regularly but there was no wall nearby so we never did.

18. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

Rock climbing takes more technique than you'd think, you'll lose strength in your hands and fingers within ten minutes if you do it the wrong way. Rely on your legs a lot, and you should be fine. Or at least until you wake uyp the next day. ;)