Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rock and Roll has Died!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BobCox2, Jun 3, 2008.

1. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Rock and Roll has Died!

Well the man that invented it.
    RIP Bo Diddley
    Diddley — along with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and a few others — helped reshape the sound of popular music worldwide, building it on the templates of blues, southern gospel and rhythm and blues. His original style of R&B influenced generations of musicians. And his Bo Diddley syncopated beat — three strokes/rest/two strokes — became a stock rhythm of rock 'n' roll.

It can be found in Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," Johnny Otis's "Willie and the Hand Jive," Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride," The Who's "Magic Bus," Bruce Springsteen's "She's the One" and U2's "Desire," among hundreds of other songs.

Yet the rhythm was only one element of his best records. In songs like "Bo Diddley," "Who Do You Love," "Mona," "Crackin' Up," "Say, Man," "Ride On Josephine" and "Road Runner," his booming voice was loaded up with echo and his guitar work came with distortion and a novel bubbling tremelo. The songs were knowing, wisecracking and full of slang, mother-wit and sexual cockiness. They were both playful and radical.

2. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Re: Rock and Roll has Died!

Bo Diddey, Bo Diddley went to see his maker, he said " Dear Lord, you know I ain't no faker." Say yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhh ! uh-huh!

Let me tell a story. Back in October of 65' I was a naive freshman in racially mixed highschool, two thirds white, a quarter black and a little bit asian, hispainic etc. The town I lived in was just about totally segregated. It wasn't the tracks that separated us, much worse, it was divided by a freeway.

One afternoon, while heading back to class I walked around a corner and right into our school's first race riot. There were 20-30 angry kids looking for someone to beat on and I filled their needs.

A couple days later, a general assembly was called, the admin, PTA, Dads club, etc, knew they had to do something. Lots of speechs promoting harmony. They showed off the most beat-up kid, a broken arm (I came in second with a broken nose):rolleyes: I wasn't up in front, but it didn't matter because I was mentioned. This was Great! A dweeb freshman has name recognition!

They then announced that they had something special for us. The curtain was opened out walks Bo Diddley! I knew very little about him. Being a middle class suburban white kid, Beach Boys/Beatles were my style. I also had never seen live music before. I can't really put into words what happened when he started to play. (Watch some Youtubes) This man was the real thing! This was rock and roll! After 3-4 tunes, he calls out Bill Medley (of the Righteous Bros.) and my mind was blown again! No, he couldn't sing 'You've lost that loving feeling' well with Bo, but the 'Long tall Sally' and him just jamming with Bo was just...............

3. Elly

Elly Administrator

YogiRat

WoW, jealous much? Certainly am.

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

He's no James Hetfield but he's okay.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I have no idea who any of those people were.

Well, except U2, and I wish I had no idea who they were.

6. SQUATMAN

SQUATMAN IncGamers Member

You are joking of course?

7. Hawkreborn

Hawkreborn IncGamers Member

same here, except im a youngin

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Okay, I lied a little, I know that the Who is a dinosaur band that played some songs I never heard or was too bored by to remember and Bruce Springsteen is some guy who must've been more popular in America than over here because I've never heard anything of his.

Oh, and Buddy Holly died in a plane crash, but I know that from the X-Files and some book I once read.

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Thanks for sharing those insights, dondrei.

On topic: Amazing energy in those performances. Always sad to see a real performer leave.

10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Assignment Dondrei - Rent Tommy from Netflix (or WTF you people under the earth got that is close to it) and review it in the OTF Movie review Tread - Be Fair and compare it to other movies done at the time and take into account its a musical.
    Let us know what you think.
    If you crap on Tina Turners performance I'm gonna think about coming down to that criminal toilet you live in and ***** slapping you.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Too late, you warned me that it's a musical.

Our version of Netflix is not worth mentioning.

12. Reticent Drappa

Reticent Drappa IncGamers Member

Haha, This made my early morning. :coffee: