Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rob Pardo "We're very happy with the graphics."

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Rob Pardo "We're very happy with the graphics."

Just going over some of the interviews and content, and this on caught my ear. I paraphrased him:

Rob Pardo video interview:

5:20 -- Look at d1 and 2, they have the gothic look, but they weren't very colorful games. One of the challenges with d3 was to add color but still maintain that gothic, dark feel. We want "dark" as an emotion, rather than actual color or art choice. That's something that took a long time to get to the point we're at now. We went through at least three different major art direction shifts. It was very difficult to pull off, but we're very happy with the look of the game now.

Given that they took a long time to get to where they are now, and went through at least 3 major art direction overhauls... I'm not sure our protests or online petitions are going to do much to change their minds at this point?

2. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

Re: Rob Pardo "We're very happy with the graphics."

I'm not so happy actually.....after years of playing D2 I was actually looking forward to something similar (and possibly expanded) but with much higher image quality and RESOLUTION of course. Why must going fully 3D be the only way?

3. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

Because a 2d game like this is not a very good idea. It takes way too long and doesnt look nearly as fluid, in terms of movement.

Further, 2d games have to have static resolutions, or they have to be stretched in general, because of their use of sprites. It's a lot more work to support all the different resolutions of todays computers in a 2d game than it is in a 3d game.

Also, 2d feels terrible. Having no depth to the world is really distracting and unrealistic.

4. AxlStrife

AxlStrife Diabloii.Net Member

I think the graphics are fine. Sure the Barbarian looks a little too big for my taste, but that captures the battle-sculpted physique of the barbarian tribes. If you would have to fight the Legions of Hell, I'm pretty sure you'd wanna be stacked as well.

I just signed the "Don't change the graphics" petition, #1660.

5. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi Diabloii.Net Member

I can accept that these will be the new graphics, but I could also go for a little more realism. Whatever the case i'm sure the fun factor they are creating will remain the same

6. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

I'm happy enough with the new graphics.
    I installed Diablo2 LoD last week again, and have been playing trough act1 and act2.
    And it looks nothing like I remember. It's not dark and gloomy at all. And it generally looks terrible on a big widescreen.
    The atmosphere in Diablo1 sure was something, gothic indeed, but these new Diablo3 looks are in my opinion much better than Diablo2 in every way. Actually Diablo2 never looked gothic at all compared to Diablo1. I think Diablo3 is somewhere in between the two.

7. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten Diabloii.Net Member

People seem to forget that too easily. Nostalgia and what not. ;)

8. Neferim

Neferim Diabloii.Net Member

Some of us forget, but some of us choose to accept a different reality :)

Outer Sanctuary
    [​IMG]

Dry Hills
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, I had forgotten how much I disliked Lord of Destruction until Diablo 3 prompted me to play it again just so I could enhance my memory. It is indeed much different than Diablo 1, and not for the better. Even if the D3 graphics stay as they are in the gameplay videos they will be darker/gloomier than those in Diablo 2. Having said that, I still want them to change certain aspects of the graphics in D3.

9. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi Diabloii.Net Member

Like what?:scratchchin:

10. Neferim

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669618

In addition to the color in the crypts, I would like to see a little more evidence of corruption outside. After all, the forest is already teeming with zombies and the like, it seems like there should be more evidence of their presence. However, I'm not that concerned on that issue because even though I think they are farther along in the game than most people seem to believe, those types of details would probably come in after most of the content.

Also, I am not a big fan of the armor models they're using, and would like slightly more realistic ones. I'm not a huge "realism is everything" guy, and I understand that it's a fantasy game, but I just think that more realistic armor pieces would be more aesthetically pleasing than the ones they have now. I was also going to say something about the dungeon being slightly darker, but after seeing the more recent WD gameplay video in the Tomb, it seems like it will be darker than the original gameplay video was anyway.

Well, I kind of rushed through this post, as I have to leave soon, but I hope I answered your question ^^

11. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

I would like to see more evidence of death in the environments, personally. Blood smears, rotting corpses, old skeletons etc.

12. Davidge

Davidge Diabloii.Net Member

With regards to colour and horror, I think this clip from Fantasia is rather interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ca_edg6RE

That scene used to freak me out as a kid - of course the music certainly helped.

13. svidikus

svidikus Diabloii.Net Member

woah where did that corruptor mage come from? and what are those skills youre using im so confused

14. Darkoooo

Darkoooo Diabloii.Net Member

I think that's Median. A mod for Single Player that almost completely changes the game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Hodl Pu

Hodl Pu Diabloii.Net Member

I know Ive typed this lots of times, but I don't mind saying it another.

I can't say I'm appalled at the graphics nor am I satisfied. The visuals, in terms of movement and fluency, are well done. The only problem I may have are the normal skeletons which seem a bit too slouched and stumpy.

Graphics wise, I'm a at a half and half. For me the barbarian looks fine aside from some of his gear. Many of the monsters look great aside from the zombies. Mainly, it's not about the choice of lighting which bring me to concern, but the choice of coloring. Act 2 was bright, but the color choice was diablo like.

And I do agree, we could use a bit more traces of corruption in the environments.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  16. Chard

Chard Diabloii.Net Member

We've seen two, count em, two environments in the engine. Thats IF You accept the dungeon as an "environment" and of that it is ONE dungeon of who knows how many. There could be corruption a plenty BEYOND what could very well be the games "Blood Moor".

Perhaps Blizzards choice of environments to show was a bad one for this video, BUT it might have been the best choice in terms of completion and polish. We haven't seen nearly enough footage to make any judgements on Pardo's post or the currently lacking level of corruption. Maybe hes happy with it because he has seen all of the more badass looking places that lay way beyond this game's "Rouge Encampment".

Not having everything everywhere being corrupted all to hell immediately after monsters appear, might just be a good thing.

17. Nightswipe

Nightswipe Diabloii.Net Member

I have no issues with it.

18. Neferim

I think I posted this in one of the other topics here as well, but I guess it bears repeating: I think most of us who are voicing our desire for certain changes in the graphical style of Diablo 3 realize that much of what we want may already be implemented in other areas or scheduled to be implemented in the areas we have seen in the gameplay videos. I understand the game is still in a very early form and that much of what we are seeing is not fully polished nor in its final form. However, I also think it's important to make it known what we want to see in the game as a whole. Yes, maybe this particular area is abnormally short on traces of corruption in comparison to the rest of the game. On the other hand, it may be par for the course. If all of us wanting change just sat on our concerns until the game was out and it turned out that our fears were correct... well, it's a little too late for input at that point.

As long as it can be said civilly and not spammed endlessly, I see no reason why people shouldn't discuss any changes they'd like to see in the stylings of D3 based on the gameplay footage.

Darkoooo was correct when he said those are pics from Median, a Diablo 2 mod that drastically changes the game. It's made by BrotherLaz, who I think I've seen posting on these forums before.