Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

River of Flame Superchest Drops Project - Jah and Cham possible? d

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grisu, May 1, 2008.

1. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

River of Flame Superchest Drops Project - Jah and Cham possible?

Hello SPF!

As you all know, the superchests in Act III (meaning LK) drop only up to Ber, so for someone looking for Jah, Cham or even Zod LK runs might be a bit tedious.

Following the discussion in this thread about whether it's better to do HF rushes or LK runs for HRs, I asked back then if running superchests in Act IV or V would be an option to running LK, since objects in Act IV can drop up to Cham and in Act V even up to Zod.

In the subsequent discussion with jjscud it at first wasn't clear if there are similiar superchests in other Acts at all, but I suspected those chests in the River of Flame to have the same drop mechanics as those in LK (the chest in the left is partially hidden behind an obstacle). They turned out to behave exactly like the chests in LK.

So jjscud and I decided to give it a try and run those chests to see if HR drops, preferrably Jah and/or Cham, are possible. We really did want to present you a screenshot with one of those, but since my laptop was broken for most of the time the last 2 months and jjscud is busy hosting the Magic Find Penthalon we didn't have the time we would have liked to spend on this task. The only notable find from me was a Ko rune in about 1.5k runs, but jjscud did also find a Vex and a Sur and will post the findings afterwards.

So now we thought it was time to announce our assumptions and discoveries on the River of Flame, and everyone who feels up to it can try themselves on the RoF superchests - more people means more runs in less time.

Note: This is a project. We assume that those chests can drop Jah and Cham, but there's no way to tell if they drop them at all and if yes, on which player settings, until someone finally finds one of those runes.

So if you're already bored from running LK and HF rushing isn't your thing, then you are more than welcome to try the RoF superchests and post your findings here. Here are the Pros and Cons:

Cons:
    • Not every RoF map has those superchests.
      Advice: Keep looking for a map that has the chests immediately beneath the WP. The place always looks the same as in the picture above - it's always a dead end that detours from the main way.
    • Only 2 superchests spawn in the RoF. Never more.
    • Monsters there are much tougher than those in LK.
    • Often the place is quite crowded with those monsters and you have no chance of opening the chests until you killed them. Can take some time on /p8...
    • No racks en route to the chests.
    Pros:
    • Tougher monsters make RoF runs more fun...well, at least that's what I think:tongue:
    • RoF is a level 85 area. That means that every item can be dropped by boss mobs (you might get lucky: While you run the chests you have to kill a boss and *bang* there is your Tyrael's :laugh:)
    • It doesn't take ages to get from Act IV starting point to Act IV WP/No TP and Act travelling necessary.
    • The possibility to get a Jah or Cham from one of the superchests.

Feel free to discuss this project and to contribute any useful information on it. Or simply start running those chests and post your finds in the following table, which I bluntly C&P'ed from Brak in the LK thread (thanks Brak:smiley:). I only added "/pX" where you can enter the player setting on which you found the rune.
    Code:
    Rune  /pX Item#1              Item#2              Item#3              Item#4              Poster
    Io
    -

Lum
    -

Ko	    
    -     8   Mithril Coil	      Bec-de-Corbin	  Great Helm	      Scythe		  Grisu 
    -

Fal
    -

Lem
    -

Pul
    - 

Um
    -

Mal
    -

Ist
    - 

Gul
    -

Vex
    -

Ohm
    -

Lo
    -

Sur
    -

Ber
    -

Jah
    -

Cham
    -

Some general things:
    - Running the RoF on p8 is faster with my hammerdin than with my Meteorber or my pure Lightning sorceress. And safer. Feel free to test different builds and share the experiences you have with each.
    - You can either go pure killing speed to get rid of the accompanying monsters more easily (that's what I did) or combine rune hunting with MFing - the RoF is an alvl85 area, thus all items can drop.
    - Still needs some testing if it's better to cancel one run if there are too many monsters or to kill them.

And lastly:
    Thanks to jjscud for offering suggestions and encouraging me to try this, as well as for his efforts in running the RoF chests relentlessly in spite of having to run a tournament.
    Thanks to Cattleya and DC, who got the whole chest running thing going, to Phosheez for his discoveries concerning the player setting in LK, and thanks to all who ran and still keep running those superchests to shed some light over the drop mechanics (and get some high runes on top of that...:grin:).

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: River of Flame Superchest Drops Project - Jah and Cham possible?

Do you charge with your hammerdin to the chests, or "hammer" to them?

Also, how useful are these high runes? People running LK are looking for Ber runes mainly, for their Infinity/CoH/Beast

An interesting concept though, are you planning to find a partner for your Cham? Good luck to all those participating

EDIT:
    ah, I forgot people want enigmas on sp, and I suppose 2 Chams-->Zod is the same as 2 Bers-->Infinity

jjscud: what's CRM?

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  3. Low Key

Low Key IncGamers Member

Well, being able to rush Jahs would allow Enigmas and Faiths as the most prominent runewords, while Chams would make cuping up to Zod a possibility. I can definately see the "market" for both runes.

4. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Thanks again for spotting those chests Grisu.

First question? Are you certain there can only be 2 chests? So far I'm guessing at that special chest area occurring on around 1/10 maps. if that's right then it could be a very rare 1/100 map that has two spots (4 chests), but it may exist.

A few hints from me.

1. Glacial Spike is very handy for keeping monsters in place. I haven't found a
    build I really like yet but I think either a Blizzballer or Lit sorc with a few points in Glacial spike and Infinity.

2. Monster spawn points happen differently from maps, I've found maps that spawn with 2-3 bosspacks normally in the special chest area and maps that spawn with very few monsters at all in the special chest area.

3. Monster Immunities:
    Pit Lord - Fire
    Grotesque - Cold
    Strangler - Light
    Maw Fiend - Poison
    Udar - None
    Abyss Knight - Light
    Blood Maggot - Poison

With all the difficulty of running this area and there only being 2 chests, I really think we need the Cham drop to make it notably better than LK. Still I plan to give it more Effort.

My Run drops (Careful, my CRM will taint your eyes and perhaps tempt you)
    Sur
    Vex
    Fal
    Io
    Io

Code:
    Rune  /pX Item#1              Item#2              Item#3              Item#4              Poster
    Io
          8   Broad Axe           Great Helm                                                  jjscud
          8   El Rune             Gothic Shield       Grand Scepter                           jjscud

Lum
    -

Ko	    
          8   Mithril Coil	      Bec-de-Corbin	  Great Helm	      Scythe		  Grisu 
    -

Fal
          8   Decapitator         Hydra Edge          Hyperion Spear      4 Others            jjscud

Lem
    -

Pul
    - 

Um
    -

Mal
    -

Ist
    - 

Gul
    -

Vex
          8   Battle Axe          Legend Sword        Pilum               Zwehander           jjscud

Ohm
    -

Lo
    -

Sur
          8   Brandistock         Casque              Ring                2 Others            jjscud

Ber
    -

Jah
    -

Cham
    -

Great writeup Grisu!

5. vorkul

vorkul IncGamers Member

I've been thinking about those too.

Might take a build or two for a spin on the rivers, starting with up and coming wolfbarb.

Eth bugged doom ettin would be really really nice :cool:

6. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

On a similar topic, There are up to 5 super chests in Upper Kurast that according to my knowledge can drop up to Jah. Unless it's not for Cham-Zod hunting, those might turn out more profitable. I actually have a few hundred runs under my belt of those, having had a similar idea to yours if I ever found any HRs from them.

7. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

I charge and try to avoid as many monsters as possible, but since you often have to clear the space around the chests, BH proved superior to my sorceresses. Also teleporting isn't that much faster compared to charging (short way) and teleporting right into a mob with the kind of monsters in the RoF can be quite dangerous, too.
    Oh, I usually kill bosspacks when I spot one on my way - still looking out for that Mang Song's and Tyrael's:rolleyes:

what LowKey said. Plus, if you have more HRs to spawn, chances for obtaining any Hr might be higher than for a LK chest. (e.g., if a RoF chest on /p8 could drop Vex, Sur, Jah, Cham and maybe even another one, then that's already at least one more HR possible to drop than in LK. That doesn't entirely make up for the less amount of chests, but as far as we can say now, it might even be possible that they can drop Ber, Ohm and Lo, too, maybe even on the same player setting, and then that would be a really good option to running LK.

Hehe:grin: No, that one is dedicated for Doom. I simply was curious...and could need some more HRs for other high-end RWs :smiley:

Well, I did about 100 rerolls on my sorcs and haven't ever found a map with more than 2 chests. But of course you're right - the possibilty is there. Might roll some more maps to test this.

And very useful hints! Forgot to include the immunities...and I didn't know about #2...I think I really have to do some more map testing.
    And good thought about Glacial Spike - that might make sorcs more viable, since having to kill the monsters there can really be an ordeal.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment! :blush:

EDIT:
    I don't think they can drop up to Jah, since objects in general can only drop runes up to Ber in Act III AFAIK. Can anyone confirm/negate this?

8. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Cool, something new to run. I'll do some runs and see what i come up with.

9. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

Hm, you're probably right. Guess I'll need to try those RoF chests. :smiley:

10. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Update on the maps and possible number of chests: I just stumbled across this odd land formation, and the chest seems to behave like the other superchests (there is no 2nd chest there). So it may be that you can spawn a map with both formations, resulting in a total of 3 chests.

I don't think the extra run time it takes to get there would be worth it though...since it's Act IV, only running the double chests and then S&E is probably more efficient than teleporting/running across the map for a third chest.

11. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Code:
    Chests

Act 1 Norm - No Runes from Chests
    Act 2 Norm - El/Eld/Tir/Nef
    Act 3 Norm - Eth/Ith/Tal/Ral
    Act 4 Norm - Ort/Thul/Amn/Sol
    Act 5 Norm - Shael/Dol
    Act 1 NM - Hel/Io
    Act 2 NM - Lum/Ko
    Act 3 NM - Fal/Lem
    Act 4 NM - Pul/Um
    Act 5 NM - Mal/Ist
    Act 1 H - Gul/Vex
    Act 2 H - Ohm/Lo
    Act 3 H - Sur/Ber
    Act 4 H - Jah/Cham
    Act 5 H - Zod
    I'm not sure from where I found the info. I have had it saved in a txt file on my comp for a looooong time.

EDIT: w00t

12. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Sweet. It's been awhile since I took my meteorber for a spin. I'll definitely look into this.

Great write-up Grisu!

13. BurningInside

BurningInside IncGamers Member

Hi again Grisu !

I'm in a really lucky day. I've read this thread ~20 minutes ago and I decide to try. Just 3 runs after I dropped this O_O

I don't update the table because I don't know what to put in : there were a lot of blue items with - Ring, Morning Star, War Hammer, Gothic Sword, Kris, Hyperion Spear, Hyperion Javelin, Heavy Belt, Halberd and also Tir & Ral Rune - and I don't know which came from chest or from monsters around (?)

- done in /players 8

14. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Wow, that's very unusual. Everything we've seen so far indicates that there should only be one Sur drop.

I guess we need more runs by more people to see if any drops are repeating.

15. BurningInside

Perhaps the Sur rune came from a monster ? I can't say because I popped the chest when there were lot of monsters, it was a bit confused.

16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Funny, I thought you'd at least re-stock your potions between your LK Ber drop and this Sur drop.

Don't MP/trade on this forum.

EDIT: MP/trade restriction removed in light of Corrupted confirming Sur drop.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  17. BurningInside

So I guess you suppose I'm lying... The reason why I let 3 cases empty on my belt is because there's always a lot of potions in the superchests and that's faster to drink them from the belt to make place instead of drinking them in inventory.

After that, think what you want.. :)

18. bassano

bassano IncGamers Member

grats for nice project grisu and jjscud.
    I will try to help you when I will have time. :smiley:

19. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

Ok, I did some testing with a Blizzballer sorc. I managed to get a great map but it didn't help much since so much of the time went to fighting off those monsters there; whenever I found something worth picking up I first had to spend like half a minute or more clearing the area so I wouldn't be killed when I pick the charm or whatever up. Too often there was something really nasty so I could open only 1 or even no chests at all. I had maxed resists but only about 1k life, about 4k dmg Blizzard and 3k Fire Balls. Killing was slooow, especially for those cold immune brats. With a better and more durable toon that could be much easier, though.

To sum it up, I'd rather run LK and other usual spots until I could make a character that cuts p7 RoF like butter before trying to score that GG rune from those chests. To me this seems like an activity for those who are already wealthy but want to have a shot to get a Jah or a Cham.

If the Jah/Cham drops are at a lower players setting this could be more doable then, too.

20. Gorgrims

Gorgrims IncGamers Member

really interesting. It seems odd that Sur's drop at p8 imo. would make more sense if Cham + Jah + Lo was the 3 runes. But hope to see some runner's who could help solve the puzzle abit. I'm completely turned off on diablo atm tho