RIP Thorny

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
RIP Thorny

Sad news folks... Conqueror Thorny (level 81), my farthest reaching untwinked HC character has passed away today due to a one-hit kill from an Extra-strong Fanatascism Enchanted Cold Enchanted Corpulent in Act 4. I was fighting my way (slowly) through a large pack of them, when the boss came out of nowhere and nailed me. *BAM* Deeds. Ah well.

Thorny was an ambitious character to begin with, and frankly I'm surprised that he made it as far as he did. The only rule for him was that he could use no attack except for Throw. Yes, I ran around the Blood Moor opening chests until I found a cracked Javelin to use as his initial weapon.

Skills were:
12 Holy Shield
20 Fanatascism
20 Blessed Aim (for passive 200% bonus to AR)
20 Holy Freeze
10 Defiance (these should have been in HS, but it didn't matter)
1 Salvation

Stats:
90 Strength
123 Dex
272 Vitality

Gear:
Deathbit Battle Dart (found off of Nightmare Diablo)
And a series of crafted blood Flying/Winged axes
Eye of Etlitch
Harlequin Crest (found on a Countess run from a random regular monster)
Spirit Forge (socketed with IAS jewel and 24ED jewel)
Moser's Blessed Circle (2X PDiamond)
Goldwrap (up'ed to Battle Belt)
Infernostride
Crafted Hit Power Gloves with 30% Lightning Resist/25% Fire Resist/Knockback
2X Resist rings - one 14 and one rare with 3 all/28 Lightning/7 Dexterity

Holy Freeze Merc (who did most of the killing because of his uber gear)
Delerium Great Helm (AWESOME helm!)
Ethereal Crescent Moon Ogre Axe (118-611 damage!!)
Crafted Templar Coat with 3% Life Leech and a Perfect Amethyst socketed into it so he had the strength to use the weapon)

The Um, Ist, and Lem all came from doing many hundreds of Countess runs. He had incredible luck with runes from her. Because of those runewords, the merc did most of the killing through Hell.

Listed damage with fanat and a nice Winged Axe was ~350-1250. He only had about a 65% chance to hit in the later acts, so progress was incredibly slow.

Anyway, thanks for reading and Rest In Peace, Thorny. You will be remembered.

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry to hear:( He sounded like a nice character...That was a truly awesome merc you had considered you're untwinked. Anyways congratulations on getting as far as you did, it couldn't have been easy. And 1-KO piss me off:(

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
His deeds of valor will be remembered, but we already know about your deeds ;) Good lord, whom, you are masicistic sometimes, glad to have you with us :p

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
With that name I thought for sure the character was going to be a Paladin with maxed Thorns skill. I have one of those I'm using as a mule because it dawned on me too late that for this skill to be effective you have to get hit. Not the most ideal situation to be in. :)

Sidhe

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry to hear that Whoms... RIP Thorny... :(

May some of his siblings revenge his death...

NeckRomancer

Diabloii.Net Member
sorry to hear about thorny, whomhead. all that effort down the drain. like deathsguard said, there is a reason some players stick to SC. anyway, he did provide you hours of fun as well as extra adrenaline rushes from near-deaths, something we SC regulars will never fully experience.

PS: nice title. was that intentional? :)

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
I probably will build a new HC char, but I doubt that I'll go untwinked with this one. It is fun to do, but it takes so much time. Eh, we'll see. I still want to get a Guardian using nothing but the Throw attack. Maybe I'll try an Enchantress.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I'm thinking that Thorny will be avenged, somehow.

Gnoggen

Diabloii.Net Member
Another newbie question..

I know the countess drops runes every time, but does the is the quality of the rune totally random, or do you get higher level runes in nightmare than normal? I know there is probably a rune finding faq somewhere, but I'm lazy! ;) Thanks in advance!

LowLander

Diabloii.Net Member
Gnoggen said:
I know the countess drops runes every time, but does the is the quality of the rune totally random, or do you get higher level runes in nightmare than normal? I know there is probably a rune finding faq somewhere, but I'm lazy! ;) Thanks in advance!
Yes. (And you think you're lazy...)

Nice char, Whomhead. With all the crazyness around here I expect a naked, untwinked, no merc, punching Amazon Guardian any minute now. With no stat points spent, of course...