Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RIP my monitor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dondrei, May 14, 2008.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

RIP my monitor

Ugh, I think my monitor passed away quietly in the night without my knowing it. It was working fine last night but when I got home I discovered it wouldn't display anything. It seems to be getting power but no signal.

I've hooked up my old monitor (man, going from 19" flat to 14" curved is an eyesore) and it's working so I've isolated it to the monitor. Or maybe the cable.

Is there anything I can do about it? It's a CRT, Phillips, about 5 years old. I really liked it, I don't want to get a new one and it'd be a ***** to haul into a shop (it's heavy and I don't have a car), not that it's under warranty anyway. I keep kind of hoping it'll turn out to be something simple but it's probably just all she wrote.

Failing that, any advice on buying monitors? Is it worth paying ~AUD$60 more for an LG or Phillips rather than a BenQ or Viewsonic?

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: RIP my monitor

Exactly what happens when you switch it on ? Do you hear anything ? Perhaps it just needs a new fuse and sometimes its just a bad solder joint. I had the latter with my ancient 17" CRT from the last century.

I don't recommend opening the case yourself unless you have a certain minimum of knowledge about it. Tubes have capacitators loaded with several tens of thousands of volts (that's how they accelerate eletrons from a cathode ray) which can kill you, even a some time after you switched it off. I'm not joking and that's why I'm not telling how I fixed the solder joint problem mentioned above :azn:

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

oops, its a crt, try Krischans idea, use an aircompressor to remove dust ect.. look for lose solder joints and bent pins on the cable ends

worst case pick up an lcd, there getting cheaper too, but be sure to look up their dead pixel policy before buying one

viewsonic and phillips are good

4. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

When I first read this title, I thought it said "mother."

I was getting ready to say nice things to Dondrei. Thank god that's not the case.

5. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

If you lived in the states I would tell you that you could pick up a used one from a thrift shop very cheep as plenty of people donate them when they switch to an lcd so they don't have to pay the recycling fee to get rid of their old crt monitor.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Recycling fee? That's pretty counter productive. Over here there are state owned dumps that allow you to drop of 6 car loads per year for free and the rest of the time it costs $20 except for hazardous stuff like chemicals and electronics that are allways free to drop off because charging to dispose of it is pretty much an invitation for people to go toss it in the woods and then the state will end up having to clean it away anyhow but with added damage to nature.

7. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

That is spot on. Many US states have made it illegal to dispose of any electronics in landfills. Most cities will have 1 day a year where the collect electronics for free, but I often see televisions in ditchs, and back woods. It is sad.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

As Krischan said, CRTs are really dangerous(or really fun if you know what you are doing), so I wouldn't recommend cracking anything open that doesn't seem like it is supposed to be opened by the user.

When you start up do you hear any noise? Sometimes there is a high pitched whine while things get going(and on crappy monitors it never goes away). If there is nothing at all when you start it up there is probably little you can do for it unless you are lucky enough to be near an electronics shop that actually repairs stuff.

Go for a nice 22 inch with 1920x1600, your eyes will love you.

9. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

The same warning goes for TVs. The instant on feature that everyone is used to means that there is stored power in that there thing just waiting to zap you.

10. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

You're probably aware of this, but it hasn't been mentioned yet - most monitors have a self-test feature, which would allow you to isolate the failure to the internal monitor components or the cable.

Usually the self-test is initiated by just powering the monitor on with the video cable disconnected from the computer, though in some cases it requires pressing a combination of front panel buttons. You can find how to initiate the self-test in the monitor's manual or look up the model information online.

Clearly if the self-test fails, the problem is with the monitor itself; if it works, though - and you have said another monitor works fine with your computer - then you may be dealing with a cable problem. Usually this would be due to bent pins at the VGA connector. If that's not it, and the cable is hard-wired to the monitor, you may be SOL anyway, though it may be possible to (have a repair shop) splice a new cable on - I dunno, never tried it. Alternatively a no-video problem only when connected to the system could be due to overdriving the monitor - ie. too high refresh rate at a given resolution - though it sounds like you've successfully connected an even older monitor, so that is unlikely.

11. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

My old (10 years?) CRT monitor has been making "pop" noises and it kinda turns off for a split second when it does. And sometimes the image widens and widens over several seconds, and thin black, evenly spaced horizontal lines appear, and then it snaps back to normal.

It will be nice to get an LCD to replace it with when it finally blows, though.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Merick, you may want to watch out for the magic smoke. Popping noises are usually a really bad sign on electronics, especially ones with lots of capacitors and transformers.

13. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

If you wait long enough (days or longer), you can open up the CRT. If you're really adventurous, you can open it up and then ground it (with a certain set of instructions I'm not going to post here) making it safe to clean.

14. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

Same here.

Why not just call the techincal site for help and details. Some might even take a trade-in for other stuffs.?

15. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Been using http://www.eizo.com/ monitors for as long as I can recall. The best around, imo.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Don't worry, I know not to **** with the insides of a CRT.

When I switch it on the little light comes on and it just sits there, as if I'd turned it on without turning on the computer. So it's like it's not getting a signal at all.

No, I hear the little bwoomp noise when it activates but there's no whine, there never was when it was working either. Basically nothing about it changed, I just came home and there was no signal. I think I might actually feel better if there had been funny noises or smoke or something, then at least I would know it's really dead. It just passed away peacefully in the night...

Hmm, I forgot about the self test, I'll have to dig out my manual and figure out the button combination (tomorrow... too tired...).

One thing that makes me slightly suspicious is that a week before it stopped working I switched from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 (or was it 960? can't remember) for my resolution in windows, but I can't see how that can have anything to do with it because my monitor was more than capable of it, I'd played heaps of games in 1920x1080 with no problems.

Last time I tried to contact Phillips' tech help about that monitor I got emails from barely literate Chinese people who paid no attention to what I was asking them. I thought about taking it back to the shop, or any shop really, but it's old and I'm sure the warranty is out so I'd probably have to pay nearly as much as a new monitor would cost for a patched-up one that could blow any moment, plus I'd have to haul it all the way down there (no car) and like all good CRTs it is ****ing heavy. More to the point, big and heavy at the front and thus awkward to carry.

It'll only be worth repairing if I can do it cheaply, which I guess means only if it turns out it's something simple. Which looks less and less likely. *Sigh*

Damnit, why do good things have to break?

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you hear the bwoomp sound, it probably means the fuses are OK which is bad news with respect to fixing the problem yourself. However, even if you are lucky and it's just a broken €0.10 part, calling a repair service to fix it might need one hour of work or more which might result into a >€100 bill and that might be more than your 5 year old monitor is worth. Also, you cannot be sure if the fix will last for long, so perhaps you have another problem half a year later.

18. whitey

whitey IncGamers Member

that sucks. It's gonna be a sad day when my sony trinitron dies on me. Ive had it for 6 years now and it still has better image quality then any HD tv I've seen. You simply can not beat the color quality from these trinitron tubes. I hope your able to get your monitor working again.

19. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

If you survive that is.

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Surprise! Smaller uniform pixels in greater numbers.