Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RIP Albert hofmann

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keldaris, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

RIP Albert hofmann

Today the world said goodbye to a brilliant mind. Albert hofmann the Creator of LSD died of a heart attack at the age of 102(and people say drug use will shorten your life, BAH!)

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Re: RIP Albert hofmann

I read the thread on Fark. I have to ask, if for nothing else but my own faith in humanity, do people actually think that drugs don't do horrible things to your body? Or is this like all the WoW kids saying they are going to get stoned on 4/20 and they are really talking out of their *** because in reality they are going to go home, eat cheetos, and play WoW?

3. Widan

Widan IncGamers Member

1.) Marijuana has 0 long term negative effects on your body
    2.) Neither do most psychedelics

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I'm not talking about the casual pot smoker, I'm talking the people that claim to do drugs all the freaking time. Just from sheer numbers someone has to actually be doing it, it is a whole different matter if they are also posting on Fark.

I'd also say that your claims are disputed at best.

5. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

nope, sure doesn't fill your lungs full of tar!

ever done mush? it can destroy your stomach.

ANY drug is causing some sort of lasting damage to your body.

6. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

am I the only one the thought it said Abbie Hoffman and said
    **** The System
    oh, wait he's dead already....

STEAL THIS POST!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Poor show.

But it's partialy Widans fault for not writing "significant negative effects"

8. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

Johnny - Just out of curiosity because you happened in here right after me.
    Considering your personality, experiments and all.
    Do You catch my references & jokes or do they just go over your head?
    As the oddball here I'm trying to get a idea about why people don't get me?
    Yeah... That's the ticket.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Meh. I could'nt be bothered to google Abbie Hoffman.

10. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Using properly manufactured drugs does not have to be damaging to your body. Using anything that's available on the market that is cut up with things ranging from detergents to sugar to guano.

That will hurt your body.

11. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Thank you captain obvious. The nitpicking has now gone full circle and compleatly picked apart the statement "drugs are bad" by puting it on a dissection table as "doctor (very loose term) Keldaris and Mcwhopper carv it up by taking the word "drugs" then use it as "helpful medication" to get the statement "helpful medications are bad" then to to argue against it to earn E-points. Then the next person takes the word "drugs" and use it as "harmful narcotics" and argue against it again. Not actualy focusing on eachothers points but ignoring eachothers points and using only their words to form a different point that suits the author better then debating that point.

You would think that the message was clear enough on it's on when someone says it they mean taking illegal narcotics for fun on a regular basis but for some reason it has become an internet fad to take something someone says then say the exact same thing but put in the illusion of correcting it when they really are'nt. Just to get credit for the statement

12. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

Sorry I thought you might have Stolen the Movie.
    Why argue counterculture with people that can't be bothered with the history of it is all I'm saying.

13. Mcwhopper

Ah

first off Johny my educated guess is you like to use drugs or not?

My point was indeed focussed on narcotics.

I can easily extend it to normal drugs that are prescribed as medicine to. Ever bother to read the list of possible side effects of every drug manufactured by every pharmaceutic company?

My point was not that narcotics are bad : But the things they add to the narcotics are what hurts you the most, thanks for completely missing that and then getting some anxiety going.

Society seems to think it's perfectly normal to go to your local hospital and get some medication when they have even the slightest of diseases. The number of bacteria that's getting immune is the result..

14. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Ahh so it's not the actual name of said drug but what effect's the drug has that is the point of the drug. I'm glad we established that. The nobel committee will no doubt be knocking on your door any day.

15. Mcwhopper

Are you ignorant on purpose or just trying to get a rouse out of me.

At least you don't debate the fact that all drugs be they medicine or for leasure are to some extent bad for you ( even though the good coming from medicine might overcome the disadvantages).

16. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Eh no. Some midicine are bad for some people and some midicine have adverse effects on all people many, many midicines have no adverse effects for many people.

17. Mcwhopper

I wouldn't know of any medicine that is used for serious diseases (so no homeopathic stuff) that has NO side effect what so ever. Just looking at some medicine various members of my household use show me that they all have side effects. Even the medicine for my dog has side effects.

You could argue that stuff like anti biotics can be used without any real side effects and you would be right. The most basic anti-biotic would be a anti biotic that comes from a fungus though, a pretty homeopathic medicine (I'm talking about penicilline).

18. Johnny

Johnny Banned

They all have *Possible side effects* Thats a probability thing. It menas they write one word on the bottle to legaly protect them.

I'm going to take penicilline as an example. Some of the side effects of penicilline are: Severe skin rashes ,diarrhea, nausea, skin loss, vomiting and fever.

Saying that all all medicines slightly hurt everyone that uses it is like saying that lightbulbs slightly harm everyone because epileptics can get seizures from them.

Ironicle as nearly 1% of the worlds population suffers from epilepsy then your chance of being at risk for a seizure from flashing lights is the same as geting diarrhea from penicilline. So does that mean that everyone should be scared of light bulbs and penicilline or that penicilline like other drugs don't actualyt harm everyone. Just a small minority?

19. Mcwhopper

This might be true in some cases, I'm sure that yoú're correct in the penniciline case.
    The fact remains that a lot of the medication people take that deals with severe diseases has a 100% change of actually doing *some* damage to the kidneys and the liver.
    There is plenty of medication used for minor issues and that is available at your local drugstore. The side effects that can be caused by these medicins fit your description.

All medication that can only be gotten when prescribed, can only be gotten when prescribed because they are dangerous. If they weren't dangerous then they would just sell them the same way they sell coughing sirop.

20. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Well some medications require prescriptions just because using them also requires informations about proper usage. Diclofenac is a good example where private use of 25 mg is safe and so can be bought over the counter but for long term use you are also require to take omeprazole hence 50 mg pills of Diclofenac require a prescriptions so that the doctor can inform you on the proper use. For example if you need to treat inflammation or will use it over a longer time.