Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rice calls Muqtada al-Sadr a "coward"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by llad12, Apr 21, 2008.

1. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Rice calls Muqtada al-Sadr a "coward"

From Vetvoice:

In case you don't keep up with the Iraqi War, this was al-Sadr's threat.

The article continues:

As the threat of violence escalates in Iraq, our top American diplomat issues an inflammatory public remark and challenge.

Outstanding work Condi!! :rolleyes:

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Re: Rice calls Muqtada al-Sadr a "coward"

Do you disagree with what she said because it's incorrect, because it's inflammatory, or because she's a member of the vast right wing conspiracy aka Bush Administration aka Republican Party? I can't quite tell which it is, from your post.

Do you think this dude should be allowed to keep his personal army and continue his terrorist attacks against the government of Iraq?

3. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Muqtada al-Sadr is a coward. Her comments are correct. While I don't agree with The U.S.'s presence in Iraq and I don't think the war is justified, it still doesn't change the fact that there are fundamentalist whacko's whom despise The U.S. and would cause us harm even if we weren't in Iraq.

I fail to see the point of criticizing Rice about her comments - other than it just presents as an opportunity for you (and the article writer) to take pot shots at the Bush administration and/or the U.S.

Honestly, what is your motivation in posting this Llad? What end are you trying to meet?

4. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I don't know about llad, but I can answer:
    No, she's pretty much right.
    This.

She might as well have put her thumbs in her ears, wiggled her fingers and shouted "Nah nah, betcah can't kill any more of our troops." This seems like a poor move. When engaged in conversations with crazy people, we need to act like the sanes ones or we're not going to get anywhere.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Meh. The author is making mountains out of molehills in order to attack the Bush administration. Nothing new here.

6. LunarSolaris

It may have been inflammatory, but I hardly feel that her comments are going to "incite" he and his whacko supporters any more than they already are.

His comments appeared firm as it was - and The Bush Administration has made it clear that they don't plan on leaving Iraq any time soon.

It seems to me that he issued a warning that he knew would be violated. He's just looking for an excuse to carry out more violence. Rice's comments are irrelevant IMO.

7. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

No kidding. Was he about to quit blowing up marketplaces, then said "**** it, Condi badmouthed me!"?

8. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight IncGamers Member

QFT. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't like the Bush administration one bit. However, this article is just stupid. Like Lunar said, Condi's comments are irrelevant, though correct.

It's not often I defend the Bush administration...

9. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

You reputation is ruined around here, now. You evil conservative pig. :)

10. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

It's hypocritical and inflammatory. Such words may very well incite more attacks on our troops and subsequently more deaths for Iraqi citizens as we respond with our usual heavy-handed military tactics.

i find your defense of our puppet government amusing. While I don't give a rat's *** about al-Sadr, he is a powerful force in Iraq. Inciting him to violence is a dangerous course of action for all.

-----------

Perhaps you should research why such people despise us, Lunar. It ain't about our liberty and freedoms.

The article was written by Iraqi vets. You know ... those guys that walked down the dangerous streets of Baghdad:

Maybe you should ask them why they care.

11. LunarSolaris

Well, it's sort of a rhetorical question. I know what your motivation is - though I often don't understand your apparent hatred for the U.S. government. Frankly, the U.S government isn't any worse than any other government out there. Our policies are currently in the lime-light.

Thing is though, I asked you for you motivation. You didn't answer that question.

I fully understand why some people despise us. Some feel we assert ourselves where we shouldn't. Others simply hate the way we live... and the influence our culture has around the world. Some of it is the fault of the U.S. while some of it doesn't have a damn bit of fault to us.

Where I tend to get frustrated with you Llad, is that you present your viewpoint often that the U.S. is a blight on the world... a great evil. You sometimes appear to delight in things that would slam the U.S. and that puzzles me.

Face it Llad, some people are just wrong. That the U.S. has enacted bad foreign policy doesn't change the fact that there are those out there who hate us just because we (Americans) exist. Some would see us all dead regardless of foreign policy or world influence.

I already said that I think they would come up with excuses regardless of any statement made by Rice. I still think her comments are irrelevant. Al Sadir is looking for a reason for violence. He'll find it despite any comments made by Rice or anyone else in The Bush administration.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

He's threatening a full scale war. How is he going to step it up from there?

And if it were really that inflammatory, don't you think repeating the statements just makes it even more likely the troops are going to get attacked? {Llad}Why are you putting their lives at risk in order to further your political cause? {/Llad}

13. Widan

Widan IncGamers Member

I don't think you do actually.

Can you even come up with a group of people who fit the description above? Because it sure isn't Al-Qaeda or anyone in the Middle East that hate us "because we're the U.S". You're just taking the same laughable position as the U.S. government.

Hint: The hatred stems from unwarranted U.S. occupation in Muslim countries.

14. LunarSolaris

No Widan, it comes from several other sources as well.

The hatred for the U.S. has been going on LONG before we ever occupied Afghanastan or Iraq.

You go to many European countries and you'll see extreme views against the U.S. because others resent American influence to their culture. You'll find it in France. You'll find it in England. You'll find it in Germany. Etc...

Hell, you'll even find it within the U.S.

The U.S. is the current punching bag though, so it's "en vogue" to slam the U.S. Some of it we did to ourselves. Some of it are from things outside of our control.

I'll agree with you, I don't "fully" understand why some despise us - but I understand enough to get the point. I can't perceive to be in the shoes of others when I'm not.

To say that my position is laughable is... well... laughable. If you pay attention to some sentiment in exteme muslim thought (you have paid attention haven't you?) - we are considered "infidels" - and not just because of our presence in the Middle East. The policy of extreme muslim thought is to convert (or destroy) infidels.

15. CrimsonOmen

CrimsonOmen IncGamers Member

Am I the only one with a pro/neutral view of al-sadr here? He defends shia muslims and fights against Osama. Yeah, its dangerous to have your own opinion about things in this almost completely U.S forum...

16. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Did you actually read what you wrote? :azn:

See below

Our government is better than most. Unfortunately, it has been hijacked. If the Founding Fathers (men like Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, or Monroe) could see what we have become, they would turn over in their graves.

You're frustrated? I tire of being labeled anti-American when I criticize our foreign policy. It's understandable when I hear it from some Neocon or hard-core militarist supporter. That's typical of their defense of our onerous hegemonic actions toward other nations. But coming from someone like yourself ... well that's another matter.

The right to dissent is what our nation is all about. It is the very foundation of who we are and what our country stands for.

That said, if you want to know why certain Muslims despise us, then look no further than our foreign policies toward the Middle East over the last 80 years. That's the heart and soul of the matter. All of the seething anger and hatred from these people stems directly from our foreign entanglements and ... and why you will hear me speak out against those policies over and over again.

Have a nice day Lunar,

Llad :thumbsup:

17. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

This is pure speculation, but perhaps Rice (with backing from the President) is deliberately trying to provoke al-Sadr. Sadr’s Madhi Army has repeatedly attacked US forces, whether his truce is in effect or not, and the death squads they operate against Sunni communities, and their ties to the Maliki government, only make reconciliation more difficult. It may be that the US believes they have to deal with al-Sadr head-on eventually, and he has provided the opportunity with his recent ultimatum.

Given your position that the US should de-escalate and begin to withdraw from Iraq, llad, I suspect that you would still consider this possibility as no less irresponsible, and you may be right. But it may be that whether the US continues to be involved militarily in Iraq or not, as long as al-Sadr has an extrajudicial militia under his control, no stability can be achieved. The Iraqi government, such as it is, will remain unable to confront al-Sadr so long as they are dependent upon his support. So the US may believe that taking on the Madhi Army is a necessary precondition to a withdrawal that would have a hope of accomplishing our goals – a relatively stable, unified Iraq under control of a representative government. The only politically available means to take on al-Sadr is to have him re-initiate the conflict, and despite the deaths that will inevitably result, perhaps the cost would be lower now than to leave him in place and pay later.

Again, I am just speculating, not advocating, and the scenario I have laid out is full of conjecture, but if it were the real motivation it couldn’t be explicitly spelled out. Even if it were the case, however, I think others are right in saying that al-Sadr will decide what his militia will do independently of what the US Secretary of State says.

18. LunarSolaris

I appreciate your response to me Llad... and by no means am I suggesting you shouldn't criticize the government. Perhaps it's about your presentation. I have to be honest in saying that much of the time, your comments don't come across as a critique, but more often present with almost bitter contempt. But then, it's an internet forum, and it can be exceedingly difficult to make headway into intricacies of dialogue in typed words vs. spoken debate.

Please don't mistake my questioning of your motivation as sentiment that you have no right to do so. I guess it comes from me trying to understand the motivation and my perception more than anything. By all means, dissent. I'm just trying to provide my take on it (and yes, I'm willing to concede my own misperception... I do that a lot).

I'm largely a liberal. I'll make no bones about that. However, one of the things my mother instilled in me is a fierce desire to make sure that any topic is approached with a balanced view - offering possibilty of validity toward both sides of an argument. I'm a firm believer that within any debate, the truth of the matter almost always lies somewhere toward the middle. Yes, it can be more toward one side or another (or in rarer circumstances, quite a bit toward one side) - but it's usually somewhere more toward a middle ground. Debates tend to be polarizing by their nature - and I suppose that's what makes me a horrible debater. I don't like extreme viewpoints. I digress.

Either way, my intent (as I imagine you already know Llad) is not to offend - even if it perhaps came that way.

19. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

You're more southern than I gave you credit for, pining away for a government of and for white male slave owners.

20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Iiiiirrrronnnnyyyyyy....