Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ribcracker Fury Druid - Uber Killer Guide

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Bjam, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Ribcracker Fury Druid - Uber Killer Guide

All this time, and this is my first attempt at a guide (so be kind).

About this guide:
    This guide gives a very detailed account of what gear, skills, and strategy helped me to beat the mini-Ubers and the Tristram-Ubers with a reasonably affordable 2-handed Fury Druid. It also describes why certain items and skills were selected. It covers only a limited amount of alternative equipment in order to avoid the speculative "this should work" conjecture that isn't backed by actual experience. I will let others post regarding any success/failure using different weapons or skill sets. I look forward to constructive input and hopefully a few success stories.

Gear Basics:
    Weapon: Upped Ribcracker (of course) Zod'd if eth, Shael'd if non-eth (mine is eth, 272% ed).
    Why: Lots of great mods including 50% CB, 50% FHR, 50% IAS, 100% bonus to defense and more (plus it's in the title)

Armor: CoH Dusk Shroud
    Why: This is by far the most expensive "must have" item in this build, but it's non-negotiable IMO. This armor has everything we need, huge resists, DR, LL, +20 strength, and +2 to skills, I suppose a Fortitude would work, but vs. the Ubers the difference in damage would be negligable and you'd really miss the resists. The armor doesn't have to be made in a dusk shroud, but it's ideal because this a low strength build. However, if you already have a CoH in a nice AP for example, that's fine.

Helm: Jalal's Mane (socketed with Um or a resist all jewel)
    Why: Loads of great mods make this a no brainer, and it's cheap too

Boots: Goreriders (mine are average and non-upped)
    Why: CB, OW, and DS make these THE boots to use. Goblin Toes aren't a great option because you will be fairly slow and in need of the FRW from Gores.

Gloves: Dracul's Grasp (any will do; mine are 7%/+12 strength)
    Why: Lifetap, lifetap, lifetap. The other mods are just a bonus.

Belt: Verdungoes or String of Ears
    Why: This is one of the few sources of DR available, and when you are shieldless, you need DR (I used a 35/14 dungo)

Amulet: Metalgrid (get what you can afford, mine is self-found but aweful: 25/408/300)
    Why: I needed more resists and AR and this amulet certainly delivers. Highlord's also works well vs. the Mini-Ubers, better if you are getting enough AR from your charms. Once Uber-Mephy is dead, the same is true for the remaining Trist-Ubers.

Rings: Ravenfrost/2nd Ravenfrost or rare dual leech or rare mana leech
    Why: You need CBF mod, so one Ravenfrost is a must, but the 2nd is optional. The AR boost is nice, but the 2nd ring is your only source of mana leech, so if you don't want to worry about mana constantly use a rare ring instead. (I used a dual leech 7ll/5ml ring)

Inventory: 15+/15+ Druid Torch, anni (optional but really helpful), enough resist charms to maintain 70%+ fire/cold/lightning resists after Mephy's aura (-125% conviction), and the best combination of life/ar, life, and shapeshift/life GCs, you can put together. For the mini-ubers, swap out the resist stacking charms with the others mentioned above. One important note, you'll need 6% more FHR for the next breakpoint, so get it in a 2nd mod off a large or grand charm. I used a 15/15 torch, a 16/10 anni, one SS/lifer GC, 2 nice AR/life GCs, and a load of resist and life scs (mostly plain).
    Why: Charms will address any gaps and improve your survivability. My inventory is good but not great, so no need to strive for perfection (you'll go broke).

Switch: Lifetap wand

Pre-buff: Armor: Treachery for fade (for Lilith and the Trist-Ubers)
    Weapon/Shield: CTA and Lidless (no strength for Spirit) for BO; this is nice but not required and I didn't use one. If no CTA, use +4 Ondals for Shifting, it will add around 300 life. If you want too, you can swap your ammy for a +3 SS ammy too, but I didn't bother (I was worried I'd forget to switch back).

Merc: He's not going to last very long, so I won't really elaborate. I didn't even take mine into Tristram. Here's what my merc has for equipment just in case you are curious: Non-eth Fortitude, non-eth Reaper, eth Shako.
    It's a weird set-up that uses what I already had available, but I really need to get him a Gaze when I get a chance.

Stats: Your exact stats will vary slightly based on gear and charm swaps so make sure you take everything into account. That said, you will want:
    Strength: enough for gear or more (see note)
    Dex: base/enough for gear
    Mana: base
    Vitality: pretty much everything goes here
    *NOTE* If using a CTA and/or a non-eth Ribcracker, you may find that spending additional points in strength is more helpful than vitality once you've reached your comfort level. At level 85 I have 25 unspent points that I am debating on adding to strength instead of vitality.

Skills: Max Lycanthropy, Max Fury, Max Werewolf, Max Feral Rage, 1 in pre-reqs, remainder in Spirit of choice (won't matter in Tristram). FYI - doing Ubers was an afterthought for me, so my Feral Rage is not maxed. I think I had 12 hard points in it at the time of my run. You'll also be better off maxing a spirit before Feral Rage when doing anything besides the Ubers. Fury is your main attack of course, but Feral Rage allows you to focus on a single target (critical in Tristam) and build up life leech and faster run/walk.

Strategy vs. Mini-Ubers:
    1) Duriel - Head north from the portal and Fury until he drops. Build up a little Feral Rage in advance to assure your own safety until lifetap kicks in.

2) Izzy - IM makes just getting to Izzy the biggest pain. If the are Oblivian Knights near him, lure him to a clearing. Simply Fury him to death and it will be over fairly quick.

3) Lilith - The halls of the Matron's Den are filled with swarms of super fast and strong minions. I couldn't handle too many at a time (no shield) and that made for slow going. My merc and spirit died frequently. Your spirit will need to be recast often, but if you have a nice merc setup, he should survive at least until you get to Lilith. I would recommend a Treachery pre-buff for the extra DR for a little added safety. Once you find Lilith, retreat to safety and transform out of Werewolf form (you cannot cast lifetap when shifted). Open a town portal. Switch to your lifetap wand and slowly advance to Lilith and cast lifetap on her then run back to the portal. Quickly transform and switch back to your main weapon (Ribcracker). Now go back through the portal and finish off Lilith with a combo of Fury and Feral Rage.

Strategy vs. Tristram-Ubers:
    I put on Treachery and equipped the life tap wand on switch. I created the Portal, then ran around in Act 1 getting hit until fade triggered. Then it was a sprint to Harragoth to swap armors and enter the portal. From the portal, I went North to the very top, then West to the very end, then I went half way down and strated creeping East to find Mephy.

1) Mephy - Once you see the first pixel of her Aura on screen, cast life tap, retreat, shift, then try to lure her out. You must get her alone. She can spawn a gigantic army of minions very quickly. Dodge the summoned minions and engage her quickly. Use Feral Rage primarily to avoid wasting attacks on the swarm of minons. An occasional Fury will help speed up the fight and refill the bulbs. Expect to use one or more Rejuvs along the way (I used several).

I recommend heading back to the portal the way you came to catch your breath, reload on potions (especially mana), and get Feral Rage cranked up.
    If desired, you can also swap out some of your resist charms for attack and/or life charms. With nerves and potions restored, re-enter the portal. Go slightly East, then straight down, then up (to where Cain "hangs out"). Creep up until either Baal or Diablo "greets" you.

2) Baal - He isn't too bad, but his blue wave is a pain because it can shove you into a pack of minions. I let him back me against a wall (actually the bottom of the map) so that I remain engaged. Feral Rage and an occasional Fury burst did the trick. If Diablo joins the fight before you finish, do what you have to do to split the two up. I don't think I could have handled both at once.

3) Diablo - Lure him to a quiet corner and beat him quickly to a pulp with a combo of Feral Rage and Fury. Again, if Baal joins the fight before you finish, do what you have to do to split the two up.

Vs. All - Focus on the bosses and ignore the minions as much as possible. I chose to clear out a safe area to retreat to after finishing off Mephy, but I wound up not using it.

I hope I didn't leave anything important out, but I'm sure someone will let me know if I did. :grin:

2. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

Mephisto is not a "her!" Good guide by the way even though I've always preferred a one hander/shield.

3. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Oops! You mean it's not "my brother and sister will not have died in vain"? That's a pretty funny mistake, but if that's the only quibble so far, I can't complain.

Clay bizzle: If you have a successfully tested, one-handed Uber Killer set up please share. It may be better, I don't know, but for all the 2-handers out there I thought this would be a fun experiment.

4. dokuro

dokuro IncGamers Member

LMAO. I'm having all these visions of Mephy with lipstick and a bra.

GEt iT OuT OF my HEAD

5. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

as long as it doesn't turn you on I wont queston you.

6. Clay bizzle

Um, Baal only says "My brother's will not..." Question... Ever thought about using Windhammer or Cranium Basher?

7. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

OK, enough of the Mephy cracks unless you are contributing.

I don't see why Windhammer couldn't be successful (don't want to speculate), but Cranium Basher would definitely not be a good choice. It's much too slow and the CTC amp damage could override lifetap at just the wrong time. It also requires 253 strength!

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

i dont know about about ias and 4 frame attacks on druids but does max werewolf, ribracker, and fury hit 4 frames? wats your attack rating? have you tried switching jalals for an umd guil face, that would put you at 100 cb and over the 95 cap. Im not suggesting it im just wondering if you have done it

9. Clay bizzle

Derp! I forgot about the strength req, but suggested it because it has 75% crushing blow and +20% resist all. Good call on that one.

What is your total resists before Hell and Conviction penalty? I think a lot of people might want a better idea of your charms even if they might seem a tad embarassing (I've been there trust me) so just mention your best ones and give a ballpark figure of what is desirable in your opinion.

Also, what trouble did you have with Baal's physically immune minions if any, and how did you deal with them the best? Any particular strategy? I think you mention sticking to Feral Rage there, which is what I do.

10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

can you put azurewrath on switch and feral rage with it till they get knocked back far enough and fury away with ribracker? rinse/repeat.

11. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Ronaldo:
    Ribcracker is a 5 frame weapon (8/5) when upped and shaeled, only a 6 frame weapon (9/6) when upped and zod'd (i.e. eth Ribby). I didn't try a Guillame's for 4 reasons, I can't afford to lose 30% to all resists, AR boost from Jalal's, I deemed 65% CB to be adequate, and I don't have the strength. You could do fine building around the use of a Guillame's helm, but it's not a simple swap out IMO.

My basic stats are:
    Life: 4100 to 4500 depending on gear swaps
    AR: 9300 to 13100 depending on gear swaps (Metalgrid accounts for a very large percentage of this fluctuation)
    Defense: 3400 or 4000 depending on ammy
    DR% 22 or 37 depending on Treachery pre-buff

An Azurewrath would require me to put another 43 points into dex, so it's out of the question for my build. Would it work? I'm not sure it does enough physical damage to survive on leeching.

Clay Bizzle: Regarding my charm inventory, I do mention my best stuff, and the rest is basically a collection of 16/17/18/19/20 life scs and 9/10/11% resist scs. A few charms have strength or AR as second mods. I didn't go to the trouble of listing every charm because they vary depending on whether I'm facing the Mini-Ubers, Mephisto, or the other Tristram-Ubers. I'm not embarrased, just lazy, and I figured it would be overkill for most readers (might have guessed wrong there). The SS lifer GC has 37 life and the life/AR GCs are 39/104 and 39/115.

My resists are 73/75/74/75 AFTER all penalties. An easy way to see if you have enough resists is to drag off the CoH in the character screen (without pre-buffing with Treachery). This will give you your resists after buffing and taking Mephy's conviction into account (65 + 60 = 125).

Yes, I used Feral Rage to basically ignore Baal's PI minions.

12. KadoorieNuts

KadoorieNuts IncGamers Member

Congraduation Bjam!! You finally come up with a completed guide for Uber.My wait is over. I never think a ribcracker is useful and toss a few in the past. Now I need to hunt it again. Nice Job!!

13. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

You really went with Ribcracker? I found it ok, but it took forever! We should colaborate a large guide when I'm finished thats more in depth with lots of options, you know so there isnt 2. I wanna test with different forums of wolves. If you built a wolf primarily for ubers it would work alot better, but would be a pain...anywayz great guide. I don't really have any suggestions since you said it all works!:laugh:

IMC :grin:

14. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

IMCanadian:

Glad you like the guide. Yes, I went ahead and used my ethereal Ribcracker. It worked well, but I never said it was fast. I wish I had timed the whole event, but it was around 10 minutes from the time I opened the portal until the torch dropped.

I'm all in favor of creating a unified Uber guide to include a variety of successfully tried and tested setups (no single player bugged AI though). In order for that to happen I'm going to need some input from you and other brave Druid Uber slayers. In the meantime...all hail the Ribcracker; the little stick with a big kick.

15. IMCanadian

Yeah, I find sp alot easier, but I basically just used it to find a good gear set up to go into a real UT with. I find once you die a few times things are kinda screwed. I liked Ribcracker, but the killing speed was not good for me and when I went with LW phase I never lost life and killed equally as fast if not faster! I will grab a couple organ sets and go at er again. We gona re-write a big thing?

16. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

IMCanadiian:

I'm up for writing a sticky-able guide. BTW, I've been working on beefing up my charms and I think with a really nice inventory you can forgo the Metalgrid and use Highlord's for all the Ubers. I'm not very close now, but I'm sure it can be done, and it would make a huge difference in kill speed. My biggest handicap now is my crappy anni. I can free up 3 spots with a better one.

17. IMCanadian

ATM it sickens me to pay 3hr for an organ set (or 3hr for an arach or pcomb, east is insane!), so I havent been able to do any more runs. I've found two key sets, so if I find one more I can run it. I'm gona firt try with a LW Zerk, I liked the results the best. Either CTA/Spirit switch or Ebotd GPA. My res is very bad, I might um on of my jalal and a SS, or use my cham ss and switch off Rfrost. Hopefully I have good look on key running today and grab a organ set!

18. ToThePoint

ToThePoint IncGamers Member

3hr?? and i thought europes economy was bad - its more like 3 pul there for 3 organs^^
    this guides pretty much what my old zealot used to do them with apart from weapon ofc :)
    pretty solid

19. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

It's good to see that the thread is getting a few reads. I'm still longing to see some alternate Uber setups and some testimonials from other 2-handers as crazy as me.

Update:
    A much improved charm inventory has helped me boost my AR by 2000 and life by 110 with all other stats basically unchanged. As a result, Highlord's ammy is now the way to go for all but Mephy. If I can get a very high resist Druid torch and anni, that may change. Anyhow, I obviously decided to do one more run with my improved gear. It was a little faster, a little safer, but no less intense. I once again avoided death and leveled to 86 along the way.

20. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

not being a negative nancy...but I guess i dont understand the benefit of using ribcracker...

-IK wolf (+jalal) = 50% cb with max resists, does 3x the damage/leech and has fhr, dr, etc. and with 2shael swings fast too.

-stormlash/SS'um' --> throw on some gores or guilliames and u'll get stacked resists ez peezy. The sad thing is u dont even need to blow income just to make a crappy ribcracker work--instead u can use a few medium price items to get, imo, better results and u can block 70% with max dr.

...besides the Uber boss himself, both of these options do excellent damage at a fraction of price of getting COH, etc. So why'd u make a "just" Uber Fury druid.... when u can just have an f-ing Fury druid that can already do Ubers>?

and btw... Highlords, why? Just use anghellics like everyone else and get 25k ar. Why in gods name would u need deadly strike if you're using a low damage ribcracker and the whole point is using like 75% cb to kill...I guess it wasn't really a question, u just wouldn't