Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ribcracker build

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by SoulTaker, Feb 17, 2004.

1. SoulTaker

SoulTaker IncGamers Member

ribcracker build

was up barbs, i havnt done a barb since my first charecter in 1.9, and after alot of necromancers, iv decided to come back into meleeing, but i dunt like to sorta be the "standerd"...so iv decided to melee with a staff,
    the ribcracker is good for this one,...

basicly im real unclear about skills right now, for a fact i want BO,
    but the killer skill is unclear, whirlwind or berserk,...
    just ne type of input would be good on wut puts out more dmg, or should i use both? i hear whirlwind is a shity boss killa?

so if there no wepeon mastery ill prolly be wearing some gore boots,
    20 iron skin,
    20 natural reistences
    1 speed
    1 stamina

i havnt even takin a look at synergies yet, barbs use synergIEs now n days?

using this ribcracker well it be viable for hell?, hell baal runs ?

thanx doods

2. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Ribcracker does get benefits from mace mastery.
    You could do a standard ww barb and use Concentrate against bosses, after all BO is the best Synergy for Conc... well, ribcracker min dmg is higher than IK maul´s max dmg when elited, that is all i can say... i have been using it on a wolf and i am waiting to lend it to a friend with a conc barb for some time to see how he fares...

3. SoulTaker

something like this then?
    20 bo
    20 conc
    20 ww
    20 mace mastery
    iron skin as needed, myabe 10 pnts...
    natural reistsences as need
    1 speed
    1 stamina

ribcracker
    laying of hands
    string of ears or ne otehr suggestions?
    gore boots maybe...lemme see mace mastery on CB, otherwise natalboots

for armor, things i have lying around, atmas wial, upgraded shaftop, i could trade for levi,

vamp gaze i have, arreats face i could get,
    highlords ammy,
    bul katho rings?

does that equyip sound alright, i just listed some melee gear i had off the top of my hed, or sum i know i could trade for,...hows that build sounding?

also since iv never done melee without a shield, how much dex is needed for hitting alot? should i do like 2 str, 3 dex, one lvl
    then 3 str and 2 dex
    then add 5 vit onts next lvl? i dunno, suggestions on stas cuz im clueless on that one...

thnx for helpz

4. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife IncGamers Member

the gear sounds about right. Most likely, you'll want a raven frost and dwarf star (at least in your stash) so u can get the CBF and soem fire res. Also, Rfrost has AR and dex which is good.

Vamp gaze is almost worthless to barbs now (in pk that is). If you're going PvM, anything i say may or may not help you. I dont typically build chars for the purpose of killing mosnters, im huge into PK.

As for the skills, i'd say max Shout instead of ww. Since you wont be havning a shield, you'll need a decent amount of def and shout is a synergy of BO (and vice versa). Also, i believe shout is a synergy for zerk so if u were to put like 10 in ww, 1 (or more if you'd like) in zerk, and like you said, a few in iron skin and nat res. you'd be doing good i think.

I can't really help you on the stats because your ribcracker build is similar to a polearm barb or maul barb (which im currently trying to make). I haven't really found any info on polearm barbs as far as stats go. Hopefully people can give some input there...(hint hint ;))

5. SoulTaker

yes this is for pvm, my wind druid is for pvp but i hardly use him,i do like to be able to do pvp tho, trying to get a balance of both usuelly..
    hopefully someone would come in with some stat info...
    More hint* hint* =P

also another piont, ribcracker has such a low str req shoulkd i take advantage of this? i would be upgrading but the reqs qould still be VERY low for a melee wep i think, i dunno how i could use that to my advantage, this melee world is pretty new to me,

6. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Just curious when STAVES started getting MACE mastery since they arn't MACE class weapons but STAVES

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Mace mastery has always given the boost to staves, though they were supposedly going to patch it out a little while back.

As for the original poster: I'm a little worried about you build, as you're maxing two combat skills, which isn't really needed. BO and Mastery are standard, and I'd throw in Shout with that as well, since it gives 200% bonus damage to Berserk (which you will use for PIs/IM), along with a ton of defense and extra duration for BComm and BO.

I'd probably go with the regular conc build myself, specing in the defensive path via Ironskin. Using berserk as a main skill is going to nullify the point of ribcracker. Thus, I'd suggest something along the lines of 20 BO, 20 Shout, 20 Ironskin, 20 Mace Mastery, and 20 Conc, with 1 in inc speed, natural resist, berserk, battle cry, battle command, and all the pre-reqs. You might could take a few out of Ironskin to boost up nat resist, but it is worthless to put more than 5 points into it (as it has TERRIBLE diminishing returns, and you can get a ton of resist from the anya quests and your gear).

You can definately make good use of the low str on the 'cracker; if you use something like enigma or such, you can skimp on str and just use items to hit your str req totals for you gear, then pour the rest into vit.

-Hal

8. SoulTaker

yey i was thinking along the lines of 10 ww 20 conc, 20 bo, 20 shout,and the masteries...this well give me the freedom to move around but still have a badass attack.the bo and shout will make up fr not having a shield also...it all works on paper =)

im stuck on armor tho, atmas , levaithon or upgraded shaft...
    they all have badass mods but there all missing a bit,
    shaft has badass dr but nothing else,
    leviathon has some desent dr,(i prolly cant obtian 50 dr with it) and the insane defense,
    atmas just has some good fighting mods...

i torn between the three, corpsemourn is rlly badass to but i dunt see how that could work for my build...=\

still missing stat info for neone who knows that info? im surprised noone has responded with some good str/dex info,

thank you all for the help given tho, very helpful

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Well, it won't really make up for not having a shield, as no amount of defense will ever replace 75% blocking. But that's a different story.

As for stats, you typically just get enough for your gear, with item bonuses, and pour the rest into vit. Since you're using a staff and no shield, you don't really need dex; you can get a ton of AR via charms/items (especially ravenfrostand the angelic set pieces), and then a point of battle cry is pretty nice to have as well. On my conc barb, i went with 81 base str and 132 base dex, which went to 255/222 with my gear, and then poured the rest into vit, giving me upwards of 500 with items.

Enigma, upgrade steel carapace, and stone are nice armors if you can get them. Levi is pretty tight too, you might consider it.

-Hal

10. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Hal is on the money for a typical Ribcracker barb. With its mods and upgraded , it's great :) If you really want to use WW, then a typical 1.09 build would be fine: max ww, master, bo, shout, a little nat res and in spd if ya want. Ribcracker WW has poor range but it's doable and fun. As far as armor goes, it really depends on pvm or pvp. Pvp shaft would be good, pvm maybe high def stone armor or gloom is nice also. With Hals build, your def should be 30k or so with a defiance merc, but nor quite sure. Have funs.

11. LunarCrisis

LunarCrisis IncGamers Member

If you're going for WW, I would recomend going for 100% Crushing blow (with guilaumes face and gore foot). I helps an incredible amount and makes killing bosses much easier :p

12. SoulTaker

ok...when you said those stats i just cant do it man, that no dex thing...dont get me started =D
    i made a wolf druid a long time ago from taking advice from no dex...i kept all my dex charms i found along the way and he couldnt hit **** in a cow field, it was sad...
    altho i do value ur opinion cuz u obvoisly know wut ur tlaking about i just dunt wanna go that route agian, no mattaer wut people say, from my own experiance it duid not go with my play style at all....

yey the standerd for stats is the str for ur equip, rest in vit, but i guess ill just add dex as i go...if i rmeeber my asassin from a lOoOoOng *** time ago, it is like 2 dex pnts a lvl or sumthing..that sound right? i think i switched from 2 to 3 each lvl...i dunno...
    in the charecter screen how can you tell how much you hit, of coarse i wana shot for 100% hits, but i dunno how to know when to add pnts and how many..

yey enigma i defently cant afford, the ber or jah, =\
    ill check out that steel caraaplate you mentioned...maybe ill test the armos out, i have atmas and shaftop rdy fro testing when i hit the right lvl, i guess thats a simple easy way of testing...

wOOt i found a warcry just today when i rushed a guy in nm...casters always have alot of these,,,but i was talking to some poeple in act1 questing game and he was talking bout how barbs dunt rllu use skill charms...which i found rlly strange...

13. SoulTaker

i forgot to mention im not going max ww, 10 in ww, 20 conc for my killers...
    hopefully that will work out well...

14. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

can you afford chains of honor? its a really great pvm armor.

btw whats the range on ribcracker?

15. SoulTaker

chians is my favorite armor if i can ever afford it
    =D

vex ber ohm jah r out of my reach, unless im a lucky with my hellforge...

16. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

What level was your wolf druid when you were trying to do cows? Hit % is based on ar, enemy defense, and clvl versus monster level...so if you were inthe 60s-79 or so, you won't be hitting very much. My wolf had base dex, and still managed a good 14k ar.

Highest hit % you can get is also 95%...95% seems to be the max cap for everything, actually...95% dodge rate via defense, 95% on crushing/deadly, etc etc.

If you're really interested in ww, btw, you could always go with the typical whirl build...20 mastery, bo, shout, ww, and the rest in ironskin. Conc does fine with just one point, since you get an extra 200% damage from max BO. I don't really suggest ww with the 'cracker, of course, due to its crap range of 2, plus the fact that it loses speed when upgraded, so you HAVE to shael it if you wanna hit max whirl frames. I just kinda see it as a waste to invest in whirl with it, due to those factors =/

-Hal

17. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Thank you for correcting me Hal because I KNOW for a fact that back in 1.09 multiple people told me that it didn't work

and because I CAN'T resist if you really want to shine w/ Staves then get Wolfhowl and a BOTD Archron Staff

18. SoulTaker

hmmm i was actually just gonna ask you about socketing with eth's or sheals, i planned on it...with a sheal the whirlwind would still be obselet?
    i was hoping to mostly conc on all my hits unles i get mobed or want more freedom or less guy on me...
    now that everone is mentioning these builds i dunno even wut to do,=\
    i thought the
    20 conc
    10 ww
    20 shout
    20 bo
    20 mace mast
    was hell viable? or did you just get the picture i wanted to whirlwind the whole time(which is Not the case), i hope i didnt make it seem that way...

but on to my real question, i checked out that armor steel carapace wich had a load of a str req, or so it seems becuase im use to having about 80 str with my casters.would -15 req be a total waste? since i am trying to keep the stats low revolving around my ribcracker, but i dunt want to revolve it so much its not even viable in hell, for steel carapace gimme some suggestions maybe on wut to socket it with, becuase i think it is bad *** =D
    i could also get my hands on some ias/ed jewels if needed,
    suggestions for socketing would be awsome...

also i figured out on the charecter screen about how much you hit, wut should i am for tho? someome siad to have 95% was steep with stat pnts but to me it would seem nesesary?

19. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

meme:

Sorry if I offended you, I have just always been under the impression that mace mastery has worked with staves; it's supposedly been a bug, and I believe it was mentioned in the 1.09 or so patch notes that it had been corrected, when it is in fact still functioning quite well to this day. That might be why they were telling you it didn't work in 1.09? I have been known to be wrong on occasion, of course, so I wish someone like Skit would hop in here to clarify ;)

soul:

No, that 20/10 conc/whirl build will definately work fine, I was just kinda wary of it since the range on the cracker is so low, but then thought that you were perhaps very interested in ww in general, and thus offered up a build for that.

Shaeling the ribcracker will take you to the final whirl bp, which is really nice, the only problem being that the range is so low, and range is very important for ww. You'll still be able to kill with it, sure, but not as well; you won't hit as much, or as far away, and will likewise thus leech a lot less. Since you're only going with 10 points, mana won't be much of a problem, but the damage will be pretty low, so it won't be killing super fast. It's not your build that's the problem here, I think a little bit of whirl to supplement Conc works great, it's just the weapon in question.

Barbs typically have a good deal of str (unless they're packing Enigma and going for max vit), as every point of str adds 1% to your damage. Since your weapon has such low requirements though, I'd probably aim for something a little lowerin the req department, like Chains of Honor or, better yet, Enigma in an archon plate or such.

Your accuracy fluctuates depending on how much ar you have, how much def the enemy has, and the difference between your levels, so it's a different % from monster to monster. It's good to have at least over 80% or so, which shouldn't be too hard. The only way you're really going to hit 95% against really high-end enemies in hell is via angelic set pieces with a level 99 character, and something along the lines of BotD or a godly rare with the Fool's mod on it.

-Hal

20. xFullenex

xFullenex IncGamers Member

Omg! If you go Conc and max Shout.... LOL your Def will be HELLA High! Rib's 100%Enhanced Def !!! Hehe, i think ill make me a conc rib barb when i get a near perfect one :)