Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ribcracker Barb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by stupidgreen, Apr 3, 2004.

1. stupidgreen

stupidgreen IncGamers Member

Ribcracker Barb?

Hey all,

I was wondering whether it is worth uping a good ribcracker (275%) for a mace barb? It seems like it would just be fun to run around with, smackings really fast (I was thinking WW, but I don't know). I would probably socket it with a shael for the last breakpoint.

Thanks all

2. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a major issue with ribcracker/all staves is the fact that they have a range of 1. This lowers the amount of hits per ww along with the range of your ww (obviously). Again, I'm not one of the old/wise men from the barb forum so I guess just wait for halciet, superhal, or one of the others to confirm this.

3. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

LOL!

Anyways, yeah, the only real problem with the cracker is the range which kinda hurts it on whirl. However, IK maul has the same range, so it's definately possible. It's still really cool for the crushing blow, speed, and defense mods, so you can certainly find some use for it, even if you just make a conc barb or something.

Oh, erin go bragh and all that good stuff, stupidgreen. I killed your cat, you druggy....yeah. ;)

-Hal

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

shael, yes. range is listed as 2 at arreats. seems to not work as well as mauls with the same range. feels like it's "skipping" an attack to me, like the animation isn't smooth. effect is that it seems like range 1.5 or something.

with my titan barb at level 31, he got like 1500 damage, 1200 ww or something like that.

LL pker maybe? :)

5. stupidgreen

I love it when people get those references... (for the unitiated, it is all about Boondock Saints. Don't bother renting it, just buy it for $10 at Best Buy, you will be glad you did. I have a standing deal with my friends that if they don't like it I will buy it from them for $15)

I was wondering if it is worth putting any points into my str beyond armor needs, and if this means I should try to find some decent light elite armor to save the points for vit. Probably a silks til I find something better (maybe even up it for the meantime) Hopefully I will find a Shaftstop sometime... anyone with a spare let me know :). I was thinking going base dex with a Ravenfrost, Angelic Ring and Ammy for AR.

As for skills, the standard WW, Mace, BO, Shout, etc...?

Thanks for all the help guys.

stupidgreen

edit: Not uping that silks. 170 str not going to happen...

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i think overall the ik maul is better than the ribcracker. you can use the ribcracker until you can wield the ik though, which is what i did.

that way though you are going to need 232 str.

nothing wrong with str on a melee char as it adds damage. i dunno where the min/max thinking about str came from. everybody is talking about minimum strength, yet packing their inventory with 3 max sc's.

might be a holdover from old pvp thinking where the builds were so similar, even a few more points in vit meant victory vs defeat.

go ahead and try it though. i would on my titan but i've only had like 2 puls total since .10 opened, and there are other things ahead of it in line, like my buriza (done) and i titans (if i ever find one.)

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Regardless of whether you stay with it or go to the maul though, you have the right idea. Mace, BO, Shout, Weapon skill (ww), then the leftovers in one-pointers that you need (nat resist, bcomm, berserk) and everything else in shout. Minimal str builds are great these days too, and I generally advise just getting enough, counting modifiers on your gear, to use your biggest item, and then flushing out vit. Only get dex if you're using a shield for max block, or to reach minimum requirements for your weapon, since it SUCKS for ar (5 ar per point blows); you can easily get 20-30k ar with base dex and items like anglic rings/ammy, charms, demon limb enchant charges, etc.

too ral loo ral loo ral (even though it isn't REALLY irish) mate,

-Hal

8. stupidgreen

One other question I had...
    What kind of AR should I aim for to survive in Hell with? I am thinking running with the RC if for no other reason than style and around 140 stat points. (HUGE HEALTH)

Thanks again for all the help

"we could kill everyone!"

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Anything over 7 or 8k is decent for pvm, as long as you keep your level up (as that effects hit% as well). I typically get around 11-19k on most of my pvm barbs, through charms and demon limb charges, and then bust out Battle Cry on the really big enemies.

"I killed your cat, you druggy *****. I thought it would bring closure to our relationship."

-Hal

10. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

I made a WW ribcracker barb in 1.09 and it was awesome. Thwackity-thwack thwack. I just upgraded my 295 on ladder and 325-485 damage is nothing to sneeze at. I never had a problem with the range 2 WW in 1.09, just keep it in tight. The crushing blow is extraordinary -- throw on a pair of goreriders and some poison charms, and you will be leaving a trail of destruction wheree'er you go.

11. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

I upgraded a bonesnap and shaeled it for my ik barb when leveling because I didn't have a ribcracker. Ultimate noob weapon, it was so fun. If only I were on ladder and could upgrade it again... hahah I show it to my friends on bnet and they always get a good chuckle out of it. But, laugh as you will, I did destroy everything in my path with it. At least through nightmare. :)