Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[RFL project] 23 to Travi

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Babyhell, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Babyhell

Babyhell IncGamers Member

Hey guys :)

The same way i did for Noobazon, i'll bring up another fresh twinked char, BabyBaba, for the next round. I don't have any Barbarian yet, and as it seems to be one of the best char for the RFL round 2 at Travincal, let's go !

I'm starting fresh on this, but i guess the usual Sigon's set way is the way to go.

I'm opened to any suggestion of leveling route, or build/gear to go for Travi, even if i will take some time anyway to read guides on it.

I may try to work a bit the write up on this one - hope some of you will find it good enough somehow, but it will be my first real attempt to storyline it, instead of simple reports.

See you on updates !

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    LongingForDeath and peytron like this.
  2. Babyhell

This post will be dedicated to leveling stuff evolution.

It has to be noted that he will be a dedicated swordsman: when starting untwinked, this may not be the best option.

Current leveling stuff
    Started to play at players7.
    First twink was a Rixot's keen - only had one, but two would have been ideal.

Then with some strength charms, at lvl 7 he could equip 4 parts of Sigon - helm, armor, gloves and boots, and Death's set belt. Here again, switching gloves for Death's set one would have been ideal. Also equipped Nagelrings for AR mostly.

Then points were put in Dexterity, and with some charms he could equip two Death's touch swords at lvl 10. The 25-75 cold damage x2 does wonders at start !

At lvl 12 he equipped the angelic ring and amulet, and kept one Nagel - it was a choice, but the Cathan's ring/amu combo at lvl 11 is nice also (life leech, 50AR, 15-20 fire dmg, +10 strength by ring...).

He kept this setup until lvl 29, at p5 and p3 for heavy elemental areas (council for example) and switched to complete act 4.

For me this setup has been enough until the 30ies, but alternative weapons like Hellplague (clvl 22) or Ripsaw (clvl 26, best physical damage for life leech) can be useful at some point - and one Death's touch could be kept for set bonuses ([email protected], 8life leech).

Also, Sigon's set partial bonuses are interesting at 3 parts, and here we are wearing 4: until Vipermagi, the armor can easily be replaced by the well-known common Stealth runeword at lvl 17 - but has a cost on defense, or an Hawkmail (lvl 15) unique armor, to keep a nice def until Vipermagi, with some FRW too - as we use Death's set belt, the CBF mode is of no interest here.

At lvl 29 he equipped a Shaeled Vipermagi, a String of ears and some [email protected] of clvl 27 to defeat Diablo, then at 30 two Bloodletter swords and a Manald, with a not-so-effective switch to Whirlwind due to skill bonuses - mana leech of Manald is not really enough, will try with insight on merc. It should be enough to Baal run until lvl 42, when he will equip Arreat's and may switch for an ethereal Skullder's ire: it will be a balance between Vipermagi all res and the huge def of eth Skullder's.

With this stuff he leveled through NM, equipping stuff when lvl req were met (rings/cat's eye for frw, nosferatu coil) and changed weaps when lvl 60 was reached. Grief and Oath were the real boost, Enigma helped also, so he will be pushing Baal NM until 75, and start Hell with almost end gear stuff.

Now he will be quest rushing until Travincal council, his goal for now.

Targeted end gear stuff
    Helm: Arreat's face sock Diamond jewel of Prosperity (33ed/41ar, 9mf iirc)
    Arreat's Face
    Slayer Guard
    Defense: 352
    Durability: 38 of 55
    Required Level: 42
    Required Strength: 118
    Fingerprint: 0x9ea3bc40
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +2 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)
    +2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    6% Life stolen per hit
    +191% Enhanced Defense
    +20 to Strength
    +20 to Dexterity
    All Resistances +30
    Armor: Noobazon's Archon plate Enigma
    Superior Archon Plate
    JahIthBer
    Defense: 1358
    Durability: 59 of 60
    Required Level: 65
    Required Strength: 103
    Fingerprint: 0x45857d9e
    Item Level: 86
    +2 to All Skills
    +45% Faster Run/Walk
    +1 to Teleport
    +13% Enhanced Defense
    +770 Defense
    +68 to Strength (Based on Character Level)
    Increase Maximum Life 5%
    Damage Reduced by 8%
    +14 Life after each Kill
    15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    91% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
    3 Sockets (3 used)
    Socketed: Jah Rune
    Socketed: Ith Rune
    Socketed: Ber Rune
    Belt: nosferatu coil
    Gloves: LoH
    Classical one
    Boots: War traveller's 49mf
    Weapon left: low Grief 30/349
    Grief
    Phase Blade
    EthTirLoMalRal
    One Hand Damage: 31 - 35
    Indestructible
    Required Level: 59
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Dexterity: 136
    Fingerprint: 0x7d2e141f
    Item Level: 85
    35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    Damage +349
    Ignore Target's Defense
    -25% Target Defense
    +140% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
    Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
    -24% to Enemy Poison Resistance
    20% Deadly Strike
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +2 to Mana after each Kill
    +13 Life after each Kill
    5 Sockets (5 used)
    Socketed: Eth Rune
    Socketed: Tir Rune
    Socketed: Lo Rune
    Socketed: Mal Rune
    Socketed: Ral Rune
    Enigma
    Weapon right: Oath on eth Colossus sword
    Materials ok, to be crafted
    Amulet: Highlord's wrath
    Classical one
    Ring1: AR +mana leech ring
    Ring2: AR +mana leech ring
    Inventory: Charms @ res, ar/dmg, 2x4+2x3 for drops

Merc - A2 Might:
    Helm: Kira's guardian [email protected] sock 15ias (for 22 and 30 breakpoints) or Um
    Armor: Guardian angel 199ed sock Um or 198?ed upped sock Um
    Weapon: Reaper's toll sock Shael for 20ias

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  3. Babyhell

This post will be used to follow skill evolution.

Skill evolution has been pretty straightforward up to lvl 30: one point in prerequisites for BO, whirlwind, one point in each passive and 10 in sword mastery, 1 in double swing. Then max BO, start to level whirlwind. Maybe maxing sword mastery before whirlwind is an option until mana leech issues can be solved.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

Haha love it. We've done a lot the same stuff trying to get ready for rfl. You can read my recent post on the barb I quested, but it's not quite as relevant since i did untwinked. You def want to go double swing till you switch to any of frenzy, berserk, or whirlwind. You'll be twinked right? If so, any of those 3 will be great. Let us know which you decide to do and I'm sure I'll have some gear recommendations.

As for trav gear, did you find some decent ethereal oath bases from round 1? (Unless you you have grief :eek:), And do you have any/all of kiras, guardian angel, reapers toll for merc?

Edit: and several things work great but the most general weaponry I feel like is great but not to expensive is ww: oath+oath, frenzy: oath+lawbringer, zerk: whatever highest dmg 2hander you have (upped ribcracker being a great one)

Babyhell and Zyr like this.
  5. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Yes, double swing, then ww. Jou definitely want a Reaper's on your merc for Travincal .

Good luck!!

Babyhell likes this.
  6. art_vandelay

art_vandelay IncGamers Member

Good luck with your Travi Barb! Starting with a Barb can be kinda harsh since every bit of damage you do comes from your weapon and there aren't many great ones before the Ribcracker that Luhkoh mentioned.

So is this your first barb in recent times or ever? In any case I'd like to give some input :)

If you don't have any twinking gear I suggest you take a character to act 2 normal and shop Fara for 3os white flails. You can then put emeralds in them to give them a high amount of poison damage. At this level it's pretty much the highest damage you'll do. You can make two flails with flawed emeralds for lvl 5, regular emeralds for lvl 12 and so forth in order for your weapon to grow with you so to speak. Obviously this is even more effective if you use a 4os or 5os flail combo, but you can't shop those ;)

If you go this route then mana leech is basically out of the window for the beginning as flails don't do too much physical damage!

In case you have trouble hitting stuff you can wear the Angelic set jewelry. The rings give massive AR and 20 life each. The amulet itself gets a 75 life bonus if two set items are equipped so it's a great addition as well and not just a necessity to get the AR on the rings.

I'd advise against full Sigon's early on since you really don't want a shield for double swing :p (I don't know wether full Sigon's is what you mean by the usual Sigon's, sorry if you already excluded the shield in that! ;))

What can really help you early on is Cannot be Frozen. The full Hsarus Set gives this and isn't too shabby otherwise. Another great combo is Death's sash and leather gloves which give you CBF, 30% IAS and 15 resist all. (Only drawback is the fact that sashes only get 2 rows!)

An exceptional weapon that I can vouch for is Headstriker battle sword, it's a pretty neat weapon for nightmare and isn't too bad in Hell when you up it. Best thing about it is that you don't need Deadly Strike with it from a certain point onward.

If you should go the Frenzy route there is a fun general strategy to select weapons: Pick one high damage weapon and one weapon with an interesting effect. At the highest level this would be a combo like Grief/Stormlash or Grief/Azurewrath (for CS!) but it works on lower levels as well. Two good effect weapons that are "cheap" are the RWs Crescent Moon and Lawbringer. The first has a static CtC which is pretty neat and the second has a Decrepify CtC and the Sanctuary Aura which knocks back undead and fully (!) ignores their physical resistances. (Frenzy with Azurewrath or Lawbringer in CS is basically cheating :D ) The best thing is that the highest runes in them are Um and Lem respectively! If I had to choose I'd probably take the Lawbringer, the Decrepify is just too good to pass up.

Btw the same principle can be applied at an early level. A Malice RW flail can complement your poison flail from lvl 15 on!

I'm not the biggest barb fan ever but those were just some of the things that worked for me when I played that char! I hope you find the right barb for your playstyle ;)

Babyhell and Zyr like this.
  7. Babyhell

Thx guys ! Tyvm for input already :)

@Luhkoh i may well end ww so i can have easier run, but maybe Frenzy as i never ever played it. I'll go toward the somehow more efficient mf build for pit runs i guess, i don't know if there's one specific more efficient on this.

For weaponry, yes i have one very low Grief i bought to DiabloTwoinDC, a 30/349 one on phase blade. Second slot is opened - maybe a second Grief if cows drop me multiple Lo xD - so well, it'll be open i guess ;)

I already have the full ik set, but i already know it is not recommended due to freeze mode which counters horking (iirc the wording). Got an Highlord Wrath also, i'm pretty sure it can be useful here.

For merc, i have a guardian angel, but no reaper's toll nor kira's yet, will have to trade for some. Seems you suggest a very high resistance stuff, due to numerous hydras i guess ?

@art_vandelay i'm not a barbarian player either ! At least regarding Sigon, i use to get 3 pieces with helm for AR, gloves for ias, boots for some mf and life leech set bonus. I see the Death interest for cbf, but i'm pretty sure i don't have the gloves to use the two sets together.

For amu/rings, i like to use cathan's early to solve strength issues, and go angelics afterwards, i think i'll keep with it, maybe keep a cathan ring for some ll.

8. Babyhell

After some readings, there are pros and cons. With my grief pb, i may go Frenzy to have more choice on second weap. For the other sword, pb probably, what about Kingslayer ? Is an oath eth cB/balrog blade really better ?

I'm thinking about highlord's amu or crescent moon for mana leech, LoH gloves as Council is demon based iirc, and my archon plate enigma as base stuff, but if teleport is not needed i may have an eth skullder's available. Maybe some parts of ik can be used ? If IK helm is not enough, Arreat's would be a nice part to get maybe ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Kingslayer doesn't even come close to Oath. The latter is being made in an eth base, so gets much higher damage to begin with. I'd definitely go for Oath in the offhand, or obviously even better, Grief.

Arreat's would definitely be very nice to use. Guillaume's is very good too, even better damage wise, but Arreat's is such a well rounded item that it will give you more flexibility for your other gear.

You definitely want LoH. It is tailor made for Travincal, with it's huge fire resist and insane ED% to Demons, which the Council happen to be. Highlord's is usually the best option for a melee character, but I'm not a Travincal Barb expert at all. I assume Gripphon's LK vs Travincal vs Cows guide has a detailed analysis on Trav Barbs.

10. Babyhell

Thx ! I was updating my post, i read some on Frenzy that could change my mind on whirlwind, at least for Travincal.

I'll check Gripphon thread ;)

11. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

I'm sure frenzy works fine in trav, but it's generally thought to be significantly worse than ww for that purpose. Especially when you already have a grief. Yes oath is likely your best offhand option short of a second grief. When I was suggesting ww/frenzy/zerk I meant for playing through the game. Was always assuming you'd want to go ww when its time to start hitting trav.

12. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I find Frenzy much more fun than WW. But I bet there is a reason that everyone and their mother use WW at Travincal, not Frenzy. Chances are real that reason is efficiency.

The main reason probably is that WW really only has WW itself and weapon mastery to max when it comes to dealing damage. That leaves a huge amount of skill points for BO, FI, Natural Resistance, ... Frenzy needs every point in the skill and it's synergies to be able to compete, leaving you (almost) no points for the other skills I just mentioned. At least, I think that is the reason why in the end WW are the better Travincal runners.

Even if you go for WW for your Trav Barb, I'd still advice to make a Frenzy Barb as well at some point. Addictive speed, I tell you. And when that is finished, make a Zeal Barb (Grief weapon, Passion offhand for the Zeal oskill). The ZealBarb I built many years ago was one of my favourite characters. Small sidenote: he even wasn't that bad at Travincal :).

Babyhell, Smittyphi and Luhkoh like this.
  13. Babyhell

Currently reading Gripphon posts. Well, experience leads towards WW, so let's build a WWer !

14. Smittyphi

Smittyphi IncGamers Member

I second the frenzy route. That speed is addicting. However, due to WW hitting everyone, it's generally better than Frenzy for fast Travincal running. I do have a Reaper's you can have if you want.

Babyhell likes this.
  15. Babyhell

Thx, i PM you for Reaper's ;) Frenzy will be worth a try after round 2 !

Edit: cannot accept the giveaway for Reaper's as you have no valid trading profile. Maybe an opportunity ? Thx for proposal anyway :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  16. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

Frenzy can be tough build to Pat. I say this loving Frenzy as a skill, it's just ridiculously fun. But, that speed that makes it so fun can be counterproductive, as you may find yourself deep in enemies without a good out. I'd reccomend Singer, Conc, or Zerk to Pat/level your Trav runner, then respec to WW. Save the Frenzy barb until you are just playing the build through, even better to enjoy the nuances of one of the most fun skills in the game.

17. Hutton

Hutton IncGamers Member

A big reason to go for WW over Frenzy as a Travincal barb is that you don't need (or even want) Cannot Be Frozen as a WWer.

Obviously by far the most common source of that mod (which you will need with Frenzy) is Ravenfrost, and you would rather not wear that as it has cold damage on it which can cause corpses to shatter and then you can't hork them.

The current setup I use on my untwinked 99er barb (and will use for Round 2) is:

Upped Arreat's (warning: very high str req)
    Enigma
    Grief PB mainhand
    Death CS offhand
    LoH
    Double Upped Goblin Toe
    Dual Leech Ring
    Angelic Ring and Amulet
    Nosferatu's
    2 x Spirit on switch

Inventory is mostly damage/ar GCs with a mix of life and resistance SCs.

Merc (Might):
    Reaper's (Shael)
    Eth Vamp
    Eth Duriel's

Will probably up both armour pieces of the merc soon, I think I have enough Lems or equivalent.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Quinneczech likes this.
  18. Babyhell

@Hutton hey, thx for input ! I see you are using Death runeword, isn't that an issue regarding glacial spikes for Travincal ? I guess it has to be huge damage dealer, but with shatter risks, you plan on changeing this weap for round 2 ? Or maybe i missed something on WW ?

I dropped an eth 4os colossus sword, i may well make an Oath from it, to take place beside the low Grief pb. For belt i am wondering if i should go Strings of ears or Nosfe, i have both currently so i may end trying and choose that way.

2x spirit swords is good idea, i guess it's more balanced than the Wizardspike i was planning due to skill bonuses. I have a Cta to make, crystal sword is probably the way to go then for double swords, or i bring back hoto from my pally and make Cta in Flail. So many options, all seems to use Arreat's and Reaper's toll, it's obvious i have to try to trade for some !

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  19. Hutton

Hutton IncGamers Member

Chance to cast on hit or on attack mods can't be proc'd by WW, so the Glacial Spike isn't an issue from Death.

That said I mostly made it as I happened to find the base for it first- I think Oath is just as good most likely.

Babyhell likes this.
  20. Babyhell

I updated my trade thread with current BabyBaba needs !