Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Review of my Avenger uses Hand of Justice and DragonScale Shield d

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Snarlin Stef, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

Review of my Avenger uses Hand of Justice and DragonScale Shield

oki this is my 2nd attempt at trying to make dragon scale shield work well (ie: it is better to use this shield than ZAK). My first was a Holy Fire pala and i felt that one was too weak. MY this one is an avenger with maxed fire synergies for the vengeance.

i even made some pretty heavy investments in runes with a hand of justice to compliment the shield (HOJ gives -20 enemy fire and Dragon Scale gives +15% fire)

Also I was trying to use a concept of Smite + Hydra to produce stun lock.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Build 1 did not work
    Holy fire pala

maxed holy fire synergies and it jsut added 1000 fire dmg... prett lame.. even with maxed zeal and sacrifice he cant handle minions destructionin a 4 player game.

I have full resists in hell and max IAS max DR ... gear was not the reason for failure. he was effective in hell until 4 players got in id say...

---------------------------------------------------
    Build #2 (current Build) Avenger with max synergies for fire..
    again as before max resists max DR and max IAS and using some NICE other items... most notably hand of justice runeowrd for the ED and the speed and the -20 enemy fire resist.

here are some thoughts on the current build.

1) Review of Smite + Hydra = stun lock
    it works ok in private duels.. the smite stun does not last that long (i dont know if it increases with more points in smite? maybe some1 can help me out here). However in public duels where there are lamers and its more like a free for all... its too hard to set up... to switch off your aura.. put a hydra up then switch back to convict aura and smite... its a pretty complicated process to get a stun lock that does not last that long... also ... charge and WW cut trhogh it pretty easily.. and you ahve no chance of catching tele chars.

2) Dragon scale +15% fire dmg... adds about 700 dmg to my attack vengeance attack... NOT BAD! i have a phase blade aveanger dealing over 3k dmg with no charms and not much plus skills gear.... When the avenger hits... he hits HARD... top chars i can take 1/2 life and noob chars can kill 1 hit... IF i get 1 hit in.(keep in mond maxed conviction amps the dmg up quite a bit)

3) Avenger build in general... VERY powerfull in PVM.. however in pvp... not having uninterruptable attack such as Zeal or WW or Charge or other "elite" uninterruptable attacks REALLY HURT. its not just dmg out put... its about having an attack that can be delivered effectively and easily... avenger loses big time here. If some1 has some avenger pvp advice please give...

4) PVM avenger VERY nice.. i like him and hes very fun.... he is a char that not many see around... and i have some nice gear to go with him... but not being able to hold his own in a pubby duel in VERY discourageing for me... private duelling he can do OK because people play nice and its 1v1 so you can actually setup your attack wih hydra + smite = stun so you can get in some vengeance hits.

Conclusion: The gear is VERY expensive for a char that is only good at PVM. I dont know if I can live with that. I dont think dragonscale is worthy of "elite" status. Even if you make chars that are geared TOTALLY around fire dmg... its just not enough to be impressive. Maybe my standards are too high.. but i dont think so. I tried 2 builds that I think looked pretty sound on paper... yet in reality the shield just is below par. I think for the shield to WORK AS AN ELITE SHIELD and considering palas ability to use fire attacks... it should have +50% fire dmg for it to be sought after and truly elite.

im gonnahave some fun with my avenger but i wil admit that i find it kind of a let down that I couldnt make it work up to my standards with basically unlimited resources to use any gear etc...

this just reinforces in my mind why "cookie-cutter builds" are such... they are easier to execute and simply superior in most cases to innovative chars that work... dont worry though i have a few godly chars that i have to fall back on when i want to own the pubby duel games... so i can use those anyways. :)

im not a review writer... so i know there is a lot of blanks in this post that if you havent read my other posts you might not be aware of... if you have any questions please just ask.

thnx
    stef

2. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Good testing job man. I read your other post too and thought it was awesome - I've always dreamed of a successful Holy Fire paladin but it just cant happen. Freeze, Shock... but not Fire. Why, Blizzard, why?!?!?

Anyways, nice write up. If you have such good resources (I do not) you should try something like a poisonmancer. Problem is you need Bramble and Death's Web for the increased poison damage, which I dont have access to. With those, all 3 poison skills maxxed and decent lower resist, you could theoretically own...

3. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Its a good build but I would say "doom" would be better to use than hand of justice and fire synergies.

20 resist cold+ slvl 12 holy freeze (from doom)+ -40 to -60 enemy cold resist.

HF slows monsters and peeps by 50%. This can be handy as an avenger in PvP. Only drawback is, it doesn't not slow casting rate.

4. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

doom cant work... too much IAS needed to max frame rate.... the gear is compromised too much... cant have maxed resists and maxed IAS and then have decent life.. there is just too much trade off...

i discussed that in an earlier post why i dint go DOOM vengeance or Holy freeze...

a fully synergized Holy fire aura adds only 1000 dmg to the weapon... thats pretty lame when you sue it as your main aura to enhance your character... i suspect its around that for holy freeze too.

5. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

I'm guessing holy freeze does a tad more, and you get the chilling factor in a decent radius too.

Have you thought about using a bow+holyfire? I'm considering that for my testladin. Get a bow or xbow with exploding arrows or bolts and fire away. I've heard that the holy fire damage is counted twice so that 1k fire damage becomes 2k to a larger group at 9 or 8 fpa.. or 11 with a crossbow.

6. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

I've made holy freeze pallies before, and that 1000 cold goes a lot farther than the 1000 fire... not sure why, but it does.

I have a whole guide written up that should still be on the first page, a Frost Zealot guide. They can really own.

7. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

My avenger pally uses Nord's and has the typical HoZ, gaze, guardian angel and all my resists are 80+ in all. Just need a +13-+15 grand charm to max my resists. Of course, I'm using awesome equipment and charms so those go a long way on ladder :p.

Holy fire+conviction is pretty strong but compare it to doom which has slvl 12 Holy freeze and -40 to -60 enemy cold resist, I would think the dmg is comparable :teeth:.

8. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

more about this in the ranger index, but basically if you uses a bow, like kuko shakaku; that has exploding arrows, and you hit your target, the holy fire will hit the target because of the arrow strike, and then a second time because of the splash.

Rangers have the ability to make holy fire a viable aura because rangers are not tanks and do not need to leech, while zealots will not benefit from an attack that will not return life to them.

Raven-Hood