Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Returning Zealot

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Blitzkrieger, May 12, 2008.

1. Blitzkrieger

Blitzkrieger IncGamers Member

Returning Zealot

Ello Fellow paladins. I have not played Diablo 2 in about three years. Since then I hear much has changed.... perhaps you could fill me in a bit.

1: Is Zealot still a good PvP build? I've got a perfect EBotD Zerk, Dracul's, Exile, etc.
    2: Are there any upgrades I should be looking for?
    3: If Zeal is not viable for pvp anymore I will be looking at my 'ol FoTH pally and need a gear update as well. (Before I was using Rare FCR rings, a +2 pally skills +20%FCR ammy, A full Gris set all with perfect Light gems. and a bunch of Skill GC's as well as a Nihi)

Thank you in advance for your responses. I look forward to smashing some faces outside the gates as soon as I get off work!!!

2. Blitzkrieger

Re: Returning Zealot

lol 17 views and no replies... That makes me a SAD panda... :sad2:

3. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Zealots suffer from the same problem they've always suffered from: mobility. The rage now is Smiters, Chargers, and Smite/Hammerdins, with Auradins always to be feared.

4. Blitzkrieger

So nothing has really changed then? Ive never had a problem I just hot switch charge and Fanatacism on my right click and have primary set to Zeal and it works pretty darned well. At least from my old experience.

That's good to hear though lol... I remember how excited I was to get that EBotD Zerk with flawless stats ^_^ I would hate to have to bank it.

5. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

The problem is that while Zeal does great damage, with a Grief (if ladder) Smiters get to do just tons of damage, and they don't have to worry about stacking AR, since Smite will always hit, so any close range combat with Pally's will basically come down to who does the most Smite damage/has the most life.

Zeal can still be really effective though, when used in conjunction with a well laid smite and/or desync, so long as you can close the range and keep them close enough for your zeal to have a chance to hit.

6. Kabob

Kabob IncGamers Member

I'm with you Blitz. I quit when 1.10 came out and just recently got back into the game. My how things have changed. PvP zealots were always my thing (what's this new "zealer" word I keep hearing??) as well, but it seems the only people who offer good PvP matches for zealots are...other zealots. And considering how much more damage people do nowadays than they did in 1.09 I don't know how long they'll last. Either way, I'm working on a zealot myself just for the fact that it's the build I always liked...hopefully I'll find another zealot or two to duel with eventually...if not I'll just have him "for the joy of the build."

7. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

PvP zealots usually only duel other melee builds (non-elemental, stand still, ar based builds). Usually just zealot vs. zealot with some conc barbs and the occasional fury druid.

8. Kabob

Kabob IncGamers Member

Any particular game they meet in (used to be "pally duels" or "pally pvp")?

9. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

On east ladder "elite zeal duels" is a game that people will usually meet in.

10. Kabob

Kabob IncGamers Member

Sweet, thanks for the info Arutha.

I think if/when I do joined I'm gonna get slammed. I'm used to 1.09 where typical zeal damage is, ya know, 1-2k and everyone has 75% DR. Now it's what, 5K and a cap of 50% or so DR?

11. Kabob

Kabob IncGamers Member

Sold to Arutha!

PMing you, thanks to everyone who bid!!

12. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

My ladder zealot does like 2k-7.2k with 50% deadly strike, 50% dr (yea thats the cap), 19k AR, 55k defense, and 3.3k life. My nl zealots have similar damage, more %ds, more AR, similar defense and life.

13. Kabob

Kabob IncGamers Member

Youch...what weapon are you using? And I'm assuming fort armor to get that much dmg?

14. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

Good zealot beats about 85% pub duelists, in the rest 15% about 10% are experienced hammersins and 5% random chars. You just need couple things in ur stash that u change for different duel. Smiters, ww barbs and hammersins are overrated, ww baba can be beated with tons of ar and defence, most smiters are noobs or use pb or dont have skills, and with hammerdins u need good fhr, ar and some tactical skills.

Zealot has always been my favourite build in the game and he can be good, although many people who havent really fot into this dont know about them, they can be detected with the use of word "zealer" (I hate that word)

Best help for a PvP zealot is still Soutwoods guide imo

15. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

My ladder zealot uses a 415% botdz and e up'd shaft, my nl zealots use 279% edc/levi and the other uses 399% death/ e up'd shaft. With the death and botd builds I use hlord's/raven's w/ ar/lifers while with the edc I use angelics w/ max/ar/lifers.

16. Kabob

Kabob IncGamers Member

So with you on the "zealer/zealadin" word...

Where is Soutwoods guide? On these forums or elsewhere??

And Aruta, is the 415% botd etheral??? Why shaftstop? Other than DR I don't remember it doing all that much (but my memory does fail me often). Where do you get the last 15% DR from, String??

17. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

Yea it is ethereal. And the reason you will see a lot of eth shafts on zealots now-a-days is because I am sure you remember when you upgraded an eth armor it would lose it ethereal bonus. Well they fixed that a while ago (think it was at the end of season 2) so now eth up'd shafts can hit 2.4k defense (before I think the best you could hope for was 1.6k). The last 20%dr I get from dungos and a ber in my helm.

18. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member