Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Returning to Necromancy after 3 years...

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Xori Ruscuv, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Xori Ruscuv

Xori Ruscuv IncGamers Member

Returning to Necromancy after 3 years...

Hello, fellow Necromancers.

I quit playing Diablo II:X after two of my (100% legit to my knowledge) accounts were hacked nearly 2 years ago. I had played since the early days of classic D2, where I enjoyed the powers of two high level necromancers. Of course these two necromancers were destroyed when the LoD was released. During my remaining time in LoD, I built a couple high level (97 and 98) Paladins, a ~90 Assassin, a ~75 zon-killer barbarian, and 3 90+ sorceresses.

How I missed Necromancy...

My interest in games has come full circle as of late, it seems. I've grown tired of some other painfully unbalanced games I've been playing, and hearing the promise of a new improved (and ultimately fair) Diablo II:X, I've returned.

So as you may have guessed, I've created a Necromancer. A skeleton/poisoner build has sparked my interest. The build is in several guides and is mentioned in many posts here, so I won't post what I'm planning, as it varies only by personal preference from what has already been said.

But... I'm having some trouble. In a couple days I have built him up to level 27 and he is in Act4 normal. Of course being re-noobified by lost accounts and 2 years of absence, I have forgotten much about the various items I should be wanting, and... much worse the best item I have on is a crappy rare I found in act 1 :) Now, I made it through the most of acts 1, 2, and 3 without trouble. I got help on act bosses (without shame, as I've found no posts by anyone that tell me that I should have been able to solo them). So far my build has a few curses, golem, a couple points in skeleton mastery and 15 points in raise skeleton (I don't think I'll get anymore unless someone suggests it)... 5 points in CE. The other points are in various prerequisites which are somewhat useless at this stage.

I have trouble in Act 4 though. Alone I do alright, Ive killed Izual in a single player game. With 4 or more people in the game though, I can't solo even the early areas of Act 4. Single player act 4 supplies very little exp, I can't hope to level at a reasonable rate there - and I figure I really need to get to work on my poison nova/poison explosion in order to become successful in the game. Is this to be expected or have I done something hideously wrong? I thought that a necro would be a good choice as a re-starting character as... well, I wouldn't think the necro to be painfully gear dependent in the earlier stages of the game even now. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Any advice?

2. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

>< You s hould only have 1 point into ce until at the end if u have no where else to put the points just put in ce which i doubt. But yeah... Some items you should aim for that are easy and cheap to get.

Worm Skull
    Suicide Branch
    Skin of the Viper Magi
    NightSMoke
    Frost Burns/ Mage Fist
    work on gett trang set stuff
    Eye of elitch
    Sojs
    SIlk weaves

Those items are relatively easy to get except for trang set but i suggest u work on getting trang set peices since itll be very fun for a new necro :)_

3. Angst

Angst IncGamers Member

what realm, ladder or non ladder are you playing on? if its US east non ladder I'll give some things I'm no longer using.

4. Angst

Angst IncGamers Member

gravenspine and umes lament are both useful and fairly easy to get. Homunculus is bar none the best shield/necro head if you dont go trangs.
    If you cant get a wand, get a wizardspike for the time being, peasant crown is better than wormskull, and the undead crown isnt bad for a skelemancer either, though the str req is kind of high. Nats/Aldurs/Sanders boots are arguably better than silkweaves and they are easier to get as well. More FRW + Resists + str > extra mana IMO.

5. Xori Ruscuv

Thanks for the replies, guys. What are the going rates on some of these things on US-West ladder? I imagine they're pretty high prices and I have nothing :/

So... about the overall severe weakness of my character right now though - is that entirely normal? Do I need to just stick to the low exp and stick it through until I have points stacked into the poison skills and skeleton mastery?

Thanks again.

6. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That build does indeed tend to be a bit weak at first. Just don't rush ahead of yourself and you'll do fine.

7. Ezuku

Ezuku IncGamers Member

Uh... I have gravenspine and ume's lament you could have for free.... I also have a +3 skele mastery +2 raise skeleton wand you can have.... and a stealth... I'm not rich though, so don't expect me to beable to give you much... :p

accounts are :

Ezuku, ezuku_mule, oisin

I won't be on for a few days and even then, I live in Australia so my times are wierd. If you see me on, and you still want the gear, give me a shout :)

8. Xori Ruscuv

Thanks alot man! I really appreciate it. I'll message you. And no, I don't expect much, actually I don't ever *expect* anything at all, but charity is graciously accepted :)