Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Returning to D2, but new to forums.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ColossalAtom, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ColossalAtom

ColossalAtom IncGamers Member

After lurking a few times on these forums, I signed up. I was thinking about the best gaming experiences I've ever had and D2 came to mind not too long ago. I noticed Battlenet is filled with bots now and people seldom play with each other on there. So now I've converted to SP.

It's much more peaceful in SP with no lag, bots spamming your game and such. The experience of playing it fills more becoming as well. It's kind of sad there isn't a SP option in D3. But at the same time is fun to play with people sometimes, but D3 just doesn't have the same amount of magnitude compared to D2, in my opinion. The first character I started in SP is a sorceress, since it seems the most convenient for MFing.

A little about me, I'm 25 and a post transplant patient. I live in the UK and planning to start medical school in 2018.

I'd like to hear why you guys chose the SP life!

Grape, Kitteh and PandadudeSP like this.
  2. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums Colosssal:) I think most people who play D2 long term are usually the packrat perfectionists that have to have at least one of everything or they can't sleep at night. It was that way for me with most games I played growing up, and this is the one that just kind of stuck on me, though I don't play it all that often anymore. Honestly, I probably read more about this game than actually playing it!

Kitteh likes this.
  3. Bry

Bry IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum.

I just got back into diablo 2 also. I chose single player this time because I can play it whenever and not worry about other people and moving quickly. The no lag and bots were also a huge selling point. This forum pushed me toward single player also. I read about the grails and all the tournaments and contests and I thought it would be exciting to try all of these. I suggest joining a tournament, some have very interesting rules that make the game more challenging/interesting to play.

Good luck

4. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Welcome!

I'll echo @Bry about reasons to go SP. Availability anytime, unlimited storage, way more rewarding experience in general. This is the best community you can find, so I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

5. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

Yeah in sp it's on your terms. Although d3 does have so, it's just always online which annoys some. That and the char files are on blizzard servers

6. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Welcome! Watch out, shin kickers and wallet stealers be abound.

7. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

If you don't mind me asking, what type of transplant? (I'm a medic)

8. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

But apparently not a very good reader. He clearly said it was a post transplant. The tricky part is getting the post out of the ground in one piece.

logoutzero and Pb_pal like this.
  9. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

Touché my friend. Touché indeed.

10. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

Welcome!

Most people hit on pretty much everything I would have to say, but for me, SP is great because it means I play the game on my terms, not others'. If I want a Grief, I have to go farm the runes and find the base.

Another example - I wanted to make a rift assassin. On the realms, this could be done in a few hours. Find someone trying to get rid of some stuff, buy a hell rush, and boom you have a lvl 80 fully geared character with no work. But for me, I had to go find the runes for Rift, then run normal cows for the base, do some Chaos runs for Nightwing's Veil, then level up the character. Now I have a well built character that came from my own commitment, and it's great.

Also, I probably would have quit long ago without this community. I run the tournaments all the time (currently level 77 in the lack of information tournament!), and enjoy getting to know everyone here. We're like a little family

ColossalAtom likes this.
  11. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Hi, and welcome !!! I'm new to the forum myself, good to know I'm not alone :).

The reasons for me to play SP:

• unlimited stash space without the need for mules
    • no lag
    • /players x command
    • no ladder / non-ladder switch, so all runewords and cube recipes always available (with RWM)
    • no spam bots
    • no risk of p/k
    Don't get me wrong, I actually like playing in a group or with other people a lot. I still do a weekly D2 group game with guild members of the other guild I'm in and it's a lot of fun. But to find a good group of people on regular BNet games ... no way.

ColossalAtom likes this.
  12. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Another noob? Where do all these people come from?

*kicks shins*
    *hey, a wallet*
    *steals wallet*

And now i'm at it..
    *kicks T72on1's shins too*
    *oeh, another shiny new wallet*
    *steals wallet*

Originally the reason for me to play SP was that i had a brief period on Bnet and people there were more busy with trying to scam eachother instead of playing the game together. Added bonusses (and reasons why i kept playing it for so long) are ATMA/GoMule, no lag, /players command, no ladders so keeping same chars, this forum with it's great people (don't tell them i said that!).

ColossalAtom likes this.
  13. ColossalAtom

I had a kidney transplant last year, on July 26th. Nothing was actually taken out of my body, they only put the kidney in, because there was no need to increase the trauma of the operation. So technically I have 3 kidneys. The only thing I know about my donor is that she was a 27 year old woman. I have written a letter to the family of the donor, hoping they will respond someday. Since I would like to meet them and learn more about my donor.

Sounds interesting. I would like to read about that tournament.

14. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

It's like two posts beneath this one atm so i'm sure you can find it. :)

15. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

That's really cool, I would think that it would be meaningful for them to know how the kidney helped you. And I didn't know you could just add a kidney without removing one, neat!

I play SP for many of the same reasons you listed. And I've gotten a far greater sense of community from the spf than I ever did from playing on bnet.

16. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

I think they found some spare room where his brain should be. :p

17. KO Bossy

KO Bossy IncGamers Member

I'm new as well, but welcome nonetheless. May the drop gods be kind to you.

ColossalAtom likes this.
  18. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! A little burst of new activity here never hurts, great! :)

I got hooked back to D2 in 2012 after a few years of absence (I used to play online then). I chose SP because my internet connection was quite poor, but found out that I like it here. Quite a few reasons got mentioned already, but if I had to pick one it could be the GoMule/Atma and the infinite stash, and the easiness I could now keep a book of how many of the sets and uniques I had found.

The idea of finding every set and unique item in the game was very appealing to me. I blame Grailing for a big part of the hours I've put in this fine game during the last years.

ColossalAtom likes this.
  19. ColossalAtom

I have a random question, but how do I know if RWM is working for me or not? I haven't played D2 in years and didn't want to make a thread on a simple question.

20. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

The way I test is to try and make an 'Insight'. If it works, RWM is working. If it comes out as a gemmed polearm, no dice on the RWM.