Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Returning to D2 and the SPF after 7+ years

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by LongingForDeath, Dec 20, 2018.

1. LongingForDeath

LongingForDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Some of you might remember me, some might not. And that's ok. After all, the last thing I did here was participate in the Area 85 Tournament in early 2011. I'm also known as Belthazor on the Amazon Basin.

Back in the day I used to do a lot of runs in AT, Travincal and LK, sometimes Pits. I even dabbled a bit in 1.07 to obtain item bases and certain unique/set items that were special there. I built up quite an amount of item wealth, which I then used to build a lot of characters in MP games with @T72on1, years before he even joined this place and started over from scratch. Many of those builds were actually inspired by some of the builds listed in the Mat/Pat/Guardian Build Compilation thread.

Shortly after the Area 85 Tournament was over, and "only" 20 items were missing to complete my grail, I started using a mod that's not allowed here to add Torches and Annihilus to the game. I made that decision consciously back then, figuring that I was close to done with the game at that point, anyway. The motivation to complete the grail wasn't really there anymore and there weren't a lot of builds left that I wanted to try. No worries, I didn't trade or MP with anyone here after that.

Now, I might have made a mistake by not keeping a backup of my "untainted" stashes and characters. I used the mod for my last 3 characters only, and they didn't bring much if any items into my stashes. But it's been 7 years since I played the game. I can't say for sure which items they brought in, though, but I could name a bunch of items that they didn't for sure. But either way, it would be a huge headache to sort out and I can imagine that a lot of people here wouldn't like that too much, so I decided to just start over in 1.14d (last version I played was 1.13c).

This past weekend I had a conversation about it with @maxicek. The consensus is that all my 1.13c characters/items have to be put into quarantine or deleted, but I can keep all my pre-1.13c stuff, since the mod was never used for those versions and they are 100% clean.

So that's what I did and started my first character in over 7 years, a pure Blizzard sorceress named Winter. I definitely had some game rust to shake off. Had to relearn quite a bit about the game and items. The only things I was able to twink her with were a 1.07 Raven Claw bow and 2 Triumphant rings, which obviously helped out quite a lot. Farmed NM Meph for a little bit to get a Vipermagi for her. Got very lucky and he dropped a 50% MF War Traveler, too. Then proceeded into hell, skipping through most of the acts from act 5 NM onwards, due to cold immunes and a weak mercenary. Got her all the way to the hellforge at level 77, which got her a Ko rune. CS was still too tough for my merc, who was still carrying an eth Insight Bill. So I farmed Hell Meph for some better gear. Tal's Amulet was the 2nd part of the set that he dropped for me after the mask, followed by the Swirling Crystal (worst roll possible) and the belt. Leveled up to 81 on him, then moved on to AT, which I'm currently running on /p7, since I'm still missing a Monarch for Spirit and some good base items for my merc. If Tal's armor drops on the way, even better. Currently she's level 87, still hasn't made it into act 5.

I might start a Meteorb sorc soon to run LK with to collect my first HRs and lots of charms and jewels. Then maybe a WW Barb for Trav. We'll see. Once I have to go back to work in January, I will have a lot less time to play, so we'll see how far I'll get this time around.

Anyway, long story short: I'm back! ;)

Zyr, DiabloTwoinDC, Grape and 7 others like this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Damn, I was planning a sorceress called Winter xD

Welcome back! So many returnees and lurkers coming into the SPF recently, keep them coming!

Wait, can we kick this guy's shins and steal his wallet, since he isn't 'new' as such? Just to be sure...

*kicks shins*

LongingForDeath, Fruit and ioupainmax like this.
  3. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back!

@Kitteh Kick and steal to yer hearts content.

LongingForDeath likes this.
  4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back! Always good to see forums vets return to the SPF.

5. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back,

*knicks a wallet* runs to the you know where....

6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Belthazor ! :). I'm still going to call you that I'm afraid, since that's how I now you from the AB ;).

Like I said in our PMs, glad that you are back !!! Good luck with the new character(s). But knowing you, you don't even need that, it will work out great. Be sure to check out the stickies, there's some great threads with info on targets, efficiency and such, which wasn't there when you were playing back then. Also some new insights in them on the most effcient way to do things. Although obviously in the end having fun is the primary goal, not efficiency :).

Btw, we've had two RFLs (Rune Finding Leagues) now, which are great rune finding tournaments. I expect another one in early 2019 (@Grape yes I do ;)). So you better get some good runners up for Travincal (Blizzard Sorc, WW Barb), Cows (Necro or Furyzon) and lvl 85 areas (CS Hammerdin or Blizz Sorc, Arcane Sanctuary Furyzon). Just saying of course :cool:.

LongingForDeath and Kitteh like this.
  7. LongingForDeath

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@T72on1: Perfectly fine to call me that. I would have gone with the name Belthazor here, too, but the forum didn't allow me for some reason. I couldn't find another user with the name Belthazor back then, only with the name belth.

The RFLs will surely be fun. I always enjoyed rune hunting. Let's just hope I'll have the time for those ;).

Zyr and T72on1 like this.
  8. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back! I recently returned as well - 1.14d self found, vanilla restart ~7 months ago. I hope you enjoy being back as much as I have!
    It took me a while to remember which email address I used with this account, let alone password, so I didn't start posting here until later this summer.

9. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back, mate - are you HC at all, or strictly SC?

10. LongingForDeath

Strictly SC. I doubt I'll ever venture into HC. I know I would hate losing characters just because they were unfortunate enough to run into a particularly nasty boss pack.

sanguillen likes this.
  11. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

I learned a lot from your posts as Belthazor at the AB, and I'm happy to see you here. :)

12. LongingForDeath

@Zyr Always happy to see a familiar face :). Glad my posts were of help to you!