Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Returning person questions

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Seung Lee, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Seung Lee

Seung Lee Diabloii.Net Member

I just got back to D3 and I'm currently a DH. I haveo nly around 430k dmg and around 4.4m toughness. The current legendaries I only have right now are vile ward, the witching hour and magefist. Can anyone recommend me a build? I tried looking for some in youtube and in the forums but most use the 6 pc marauder set. Sentry style build, etc. Thank you!

If there's any way to provide more info or something tell me please!

2. Blanchard

Blanchard Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry this is a bit late, but as far as Demon Hunter is concerned the only real viable build for the end-game is Marauders. There are other builds that can take you to T4 or so but after that it's very difficult to perform without Marauders. I'll give a build for a nice lower-difficulty speedrun build I made awhile back first, and then I'll list the endgame goal gear.

I like to call this the Demolitions build. It revolves around Strafe - Demolition and keeping as much hatred generation as possible, and moving very quickly through lower Torment levels. My skill bar consists of Chakram - Shuriken Cloud, Strafe - Demolition, Vault - Trail of Cinders, Vengeance - Personal Mortar or Seethe, Preparation - Punishment, and Companion - Bat. The only two items technically needed for the build are the K'mar Tenclip 1-H Crossbow and Cindercoat, neither of which are cripplingly rare. If you have a Ring of Royal Grandeur (found by farming act 1 caches, which now have a 50% chance to drop a legendary on T2) I'd recommend Captain Crimson's Belt and Boots, both of which are crafted. Wearing a pair of Reaper's Wraps which are also crafted will make your life much easier in regards to hatred generation. If you're insanely lucky having a Hexing Pants of Mr. Yan makes the build significantly better. Having a Stone of Jordan ring with fire % will help a lot. For Helm I'd recommend either Andariel's Visage with Fire% or Pride's Fall. Shoulder, amulet and 2nd 1-H Crossbow are all free slots to wear what you want. Passives are very important to the build but you have some freedom to pick-and-choose: Tactical Advantage, Blood Vengeance, Steady Aim, Hot Pursuit, Archery, Perfectionist and Grenadier are all very solid choices depending on where you want to improve the build. As a start though I would just try the skills with a K'mar Tenclip and a Cindercoat and see what feels right to you. If you're rolling solo, be sure to bring templar Kormack with you and choose his Inspire skill for some help with Hatred generation.

The next one is going to be much more in-depth, since Marauder's is actually pretty complicated. In my opinion the best build for Marauder DH is:

Ring1: Ring of Royal Grandeur (socket, crit chance)

Ring2
    : Stone of Jordan (your preferred elemental damage of Physical or Fire and a socket)

Amulet
    : Either Blackthorn's Duncraig Cross (if using Blackthorn's Notched Belt) or a Hellfire Amulet with a useful passive (for both you're shooting for 3 of the following: 85%+ Critical Hit Damage, Crit Chance, your build's element, or a socket)

Helm, Chest, Pants, Boots, Shoulders
    : Marauder's (crit chance and socket on helm, all resist vitality and max sockets on chest and pants, all resist vitality and an additional useful stat on boots, vitality all resist and life % on shoulders) Alternatively rolling for % Sentry Damage is very useful and stacks well with the rest of your damage stats, as most of your damage comes from Sentry. Sentry Damage is desired over other stats generally if you can get it.

Belt
    : Blackthorn's Notched Belt (if using Blackthorn's Duncraig Cross) or Krelm's Buff Belt (if using Krelm's Buff Bracers). (Vitality, All Resist, Life%) By the way, do not salvage your Witching Hour. It's an ultra-rare belt.

Bracers: Krelm's Buff Bracers (if using Krelm's Buff Belt), Reaper's Wraps if not (Crit Chance, Elemental Damage, Vitality/All Resist)

Quiver
    : Bombadier's Rucksack (crit chance, sentry damage)

Weapon
    : Buriza Do-Kyanon (probably the best choice here, as it is quite common, it has an incredibly powerful legendary effect and it has a high freeze chance. Otherwise any 2h crossbow. (You want weapons with high base damage range, not necessarily high DPS, because sentries attack in set intervals based on which APS breakpoint you've hit as explained below)

Gloves
    : Tasker & Theo (crit chance, crit damage, and Vitality or Life on Hit likely desired) T&T and attack speed in general has a very complicated interaction with Sentries. Sentry attack speed doesn't scale linearly with your attack speed. Instead as you hit specific "attacks per second" numbers your sentries "level up" in speed. Since sentries are considered pets they get a great deal of value from Tasker and Theo, not to mention your other pets all out at the same time. The attack speed "breakpoints" are as follows (lifted from "The Tao of Sentries" thread on the official D3 forum):

Legendary Gems: Enforcer, Bane of the Powerful, Zei's Stone of Vengeance (there's really no contest, these gems are pretty much best-in-slot for Marauder's)

Min APS - Minimum Pet Attacks Per Second to achieve this fire rate
    Max APS - Maximum Pet Attacks Per Second to achieve this fire rate
    Sentry FPA - Number of frames between each attack a sentry makes
    Sentry APS - Number of attacks per second the sentry will make

Min APS......Max APS........Sentry FPA.........Sentry APS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4.15386........Cap.................12......................5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How you determine your effective attacks per second is look at your character window and note the number of attacks per second your weapon has. Look at the attack speed bonus Tasker and Theo's legendary effect confers (let's say 50%) and multiply your character window attacks per second by the T&T bonus (in this case, multiply by 1.5). That is your effective pet APS. Match that number to the chart above and you'll see how much attack speed you need to put into Paragon or gear to hit the next speed breakpoint, which are quite significant.

As for skill loadout, I like to use Elemental Arrow (Immolation Arrow in particular combos disgustingly well with Buriza), Multishot, Sentry (needed), Companion (needed), Smoke Screen and Hungering Arrow (which also combos well with Buriza). The cool thing about Marauder's is that you have pretty much free reign to make whatever build you like, so I'd recommend experimenting as you optimize your gear for the long haul. Passives will revolve around what you choose, be it rockets or what-have-you.

Sorry for the length, hopefully that at least helps out in the short term. There will no doubtedly be new set options introduced to Demon Hunter in future patches, but for now this is the reality of playing the class. If you or anyone else who happens upon this little post has any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  3. Seung Lee

I tried out the build but I'm not sure if the build helps me rush through things since I've yet to get those two items you mentioned. I'm currentyl using a coat with (3 wolf companion) and I actually crated reaper's wrap, magefist to get some % fire dmg like you told me to :3 thanks btw.
    And I actually got lucky enough to get a quiver that gives 15% companion dmg while I get the items you recommended.
    The current ubild im using is sentry, vault, companions, vengeance and hungering arrow for hatred and multishot (Arsenal).

Do you have any other recommednations while I try to grind for Marauder set? or while I get the items for the demolitions build too?

4. Blanchard

Sure thing! I would spend some time as you're able to run the Act 1 bounties once or twice a day until you find the coveted Ring of Royal Grandeur if you can manage Torment II or higher. At Torment II you have a 50% chance of getting a legendary from the Horadric Caches rewarded from completing all the bounties in any given act, and that chance scales all the way to 100% on Torment VI. Each act's caches have specific items that can only drop from them, and that's why you will see quite a bit of Act I cache farming in the game. Crafting is certainly your friend, and if you find the RoRG it's definitely worth seeing what sets you can make work with it. For crafting Aughild's is probably the best crafted set in the game. It adds a suprisingly huge amount of survivability along with a very large boost in damage, but it can be hard to find space for the pieces without the Ring. I usually find people wearing Aughild's Bracers and Shoulders with a RoRG. Blackthorne's is another common option for nice set boosts (though uncraftable), and Asheara's is another decent defensive set that can be crafted.

Keep on rolling your shards at Kadala for your armor pieces. For now I can only recommend the 25 shard gambles, but she has about a 10% chance of providing a legendary and can also give you your set pieces. If you find Natalya's or Shadow set pieces as you go on those are both great for damage and defense, respectively, and only require 4 pieces to work. Also, don't be afraid to experiment as you find new items and start to gear up. While Marauder's is the current end-game, there are plenty of holes to be filled during the gearing process. Greater Rifts have been a fantastic way to find legendaries for me, generally receiving 2-3 per rift on levels 25+, but they are very good even below that. Just remember you need to finish a Nephalem Rift on at least Torment I difficulty for the chance at a Greater Rift Keystone to drop. The odds go up with each level of Torment beyond I.

Another quick note about Greater Rifts and jewelry in general, running Grifts will net you with Legendary Gems which are each pretty fantastic in their own right and provide a huge benefit to those who are still trying to hunt for gear. You can have up to three socketed at a time, and they can only be socketed into Jewelry. Typically they are best-in-slot as far as giving up an affix for a socket is concerned. There are currently 14 L-Gems in the game and they seem to have a 100% chance to drop as long as you do not already have the gem (unless the gem is socketed on a different character, then you can wind up getting doubles). You can choose to level them up as you go through Greater Rifts but their initial stats are all very high and definitely worth the hunt.

That's all I can think of for right now, though I know I'm forgetting something. I'll post back if I think of anything or if you have any more questions. :)

5. Blanchard

I almost forgot to mention, Krelm's Buff Bracers and Belt are only available on a Seasonal character for now until the first season ends.

6. Seung Lee

Oh by the way! I forgot to ask something important too that has to do with the belt (btw I'm currently on the look for marauder :3 2 pieces so far). About the belt I had the witching hour with 49% crit dmg and 8% aspd from season 1 and I was wondering if I should keep this or try to get the blackthorne like you told me. Also I got two necklaces:
    Blackthorne with fire dmg, crit dmg 89% and crit chance 8% alng with 800 dex.
    However I also have another necklace Xephirian Amulet with 681 dex, 8%crit chance, 7% aspd and 74% crit dmg. Should I still use blackthorne cuz of fire dmg?

Also, another question I've been wondering for a looong while. How can ppl use elemental shot to regen hatred? I've been dying to know this because I always use hungering arrow for hatred regeneration but then I see builds with elemental arrow as a hatred regenator

P.S.: thanks a lot for helping me out personally and for all the valuable info!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. Blanchard

No problem~ For the belt question, it entirely depends upon whether or not you feel like you are in need of more defense or not. If you're feeling pressured to keep your health up, it's worth keeping your Witching Hour in your stash and getting any decent belt with Dex, Life%, Vit and All Resist. Here's a tip: if an item rolls a single elemental resistance as a secondary stat, you can never use the Mystic to enchant All Resist onto that item. If it didn't roll a single resistance as a secondary, you can. Blackthorne's 10% bonus damage to and reduced damage from elites is more potent than you might expect, and it doesn't take away from the defenseive stats you normally find on them. That Witching Hour rolled fantastically though and is worth holding onto.

As far as the Xephirian Amulet, that is literally the rarest item in the game. You seem to have the Devil's Luck! ;) It's a fanstastic amulet you've rolled and if I were to use the Mystic to change it, it would be to roll from attack speed into a socket so you can place a legendary gem inside. Due to some pretty complex math, having additional elemental damage is not always better than having more crit damage or crit chance. It's fairly complicated and requires some research to figure out which is best, but it's always good to have MOAR of those stats. Attack speed is generally less valuable, especially for Marauder Hunters, since your sentries will only benefit from the ASP at breakpoints as mentioned above. (Crit Chance is probably the most important to have, followed by a socket for a legendary gem, followed by elemental damage or high (80%+) critical hit damage.) That all being said, having either a Blackthorne's Amulet if the rolls were better or comparable to the ones you had on the amulet will potentially provide you with nothing but benefits. Of course you don't specifically need the Amulet and Belt, the Blackthorne's set also has Boots, Pants and a Chest piece. Feel free to mix and match as you feel comfortable.

Finally, the item that enables Elemental Arrow to become a Hatred generator is a 2-handed Bow known as Kridershot. http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/kridershot/information/ It's a very highly sought-after bow, and unfortunately it's the rarest bow in the entire game. When you see a Legendary Bow drop (not Hand Crossbow or Crossbow, but Bow), there is a 2.44% chance of it being a Kridershot. The good news is you seem to have made some sort of demonic pact with Blizzard that guarantees you the rarest legendary items in the game (you already have two of them, one of which I've never heard of any of my friends finding nor have I found) so I'm confident you'll be able to find one with perseverance!

P.S. Never throw away your Witching Hour or Xephirian Amulet, even if you find you no longer need them. They are incredibly rare and I expect will see bonus Legendary effects added to them down the line.

8. Seung Lee

Hey sorry to bother you again >.< but you're the only DH savvy person i know who has helped me :(.

I just got a couple of new items and was wondering some things.
    First thing was that I got osme bows and idk which I should use for now or forever:
    I got danetta's revenge (2505 dmg) options: 933-1270 damage, 7% damge, 750 dex, 1.33 hatred regen secondary :monster kills and vault rattling roll rune .
    Buriza-do-kanyon (i actually got it! :D the only downfall is the damage :() 2258 dmg options: 1090-1220 damage, 648 dex, 743 vit, secondary :7.5 to freeze.
    And my current natalya's slayer. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Novadash-1896/hero/16157251 (I havent rerolled any of the weapons)

I also obtained the spines of seething hatred and I was wondering if this could replace bombadier's rucksack until i got it or forever. I'm using it right now and spamming chakrams everywhere and I was wondering if this was good for M6 set too.

At last I also obtained a belt called goldwrap and I was wondering if this was good for doing T6 rifts since gold drops a lot there. Also I got depth diggers and the set of rings, restraint and focus and was wondering if I should save these since they seem good for maybe the elemental arrow bow or my chakrams right now? I'm not sure. :eek:

Once agian sorry for the trouble, I really would wish I could ask someone else and stop bothering you but you're my only DH savvy person ._.
    Thank you and sorry for the constant annoying bothering i have given you XD

9. Blanchard

Hey again. It's no bother! Once you start getting well-geared enough you'll find that Greater Rifts are going to likely replace Nephalem Rifts as your primary game mode. As long as you play on at least Torment I you will find the Rift Guardians sometimes drop a Keystone of Trials. When put into the rift totem in town it starts your Rift of Trials which will determine your starting Greater Rift keystone. From there I think you'll get the hang of things.

The downside is that, as far as I know, gold cannot spawn, at all, in Greater Rifts. While they're fantastic for finding legendary items and upgrading your legendary gems, they're not very good for gold. If you're ever doing bounties and kill a treasure goblin who keeps his portal open after he dies, jump in there and as long as the portal didn't take you to Whimsydale (you'll know if did) you should find yourself in Greed's Domain. Basically this is a random mini-quest which rewards a legendary gem called Boon of the Hoarder which causes huge amounts of gold to drop from things you kill, and is by far the best gold item in the game. http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/boon-of-the-hoarder/information/

While your Goldwrap is fine for the time being you're going to want to replace it with one of the belts I mentioned before, or with what is probably the best belt in the game before you start doing a lot of Greater Rifts http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/harrington-waistguard/information/ Harrington's Waistguard is very common, can have the coveted Mainstat, All Resist, Vitality, Life%+ combination of affixes, and has a legendary effect that in some areas might as well say "You permanently deal 135% more damage.". The thing activates on virtually any clickable, even though it claims to only work on chests. Loose floor tiles, corpses, weapon racks... you name it. I'd keep an eye out for one of these as it serves as a great stopgap until you're finding yourself doing mostly Greater Rifts (Grifts don't have many clickables in them, so HW's usefulness falls off at that point). Any gold-related legendary items such as Goldwrap, Kymbo's Gold or Goldskin is better utilized in a build revolving around the Boon of the Horder gem in Nephalem Rifts to farm gold.

As far as the weapons are concerned, each and any are fine until you get Marauder's. For Hand Crossbows I would roll out of Hatred Regen into a socket. Danetta's and Natalya's are worth holding onto until you replace them with better versions of themselves, if only because Blizzard has said they're looking into adding new legendary effects to them during a livestream. Ultimately, though, when you are in Marauders using weapons that aren't 2h crossbows is not really viable, due to the odd way Sentries behave.

If you look at your weapons, below the "DPS" number you will see smaller numbers that show the weapons' base damage range. That number is going to be higher on slower weapons. This is important because if you remember, Sentries attack in set intervals at "breakpoints", so having higher attack speed won't increase their firing rate until you hit a specific APS number. Since having a faster weapon won't likely bring them past the next breakpoint, you should go with a stronger weapon instead, one with more base damage. Namely, crossbows. Since your sentries are firing at set speeds, using a stronger slower weapon will cause each of those attacks to deal more damage in the same amount of time. That being said, though, the Buriza you mentioned rolled so poorly that it's not really useable. :( I would just salvage it and wait for a better crossbow to come along.

Finally, as for the quiver, the only one that makes sense to use for Marauders is Bombadier's Rucksack. It allows you to place two more sentries, and each sentry acts like an infinite-hatred version of you that never stops firing. Having five of yourself is simply better than having three. But remember, those gearing choices are only for Marauders and won't necessarily be better at all for the builds you use as you gear for it. Keep experimenting and using what is fun to you, and keep the stuff you find that can be useful for Marauders in your stash until you get 5 pieces of the Marauders set. Don't forget you can farm for http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/ring-of-royal-grandeur/information/ from Act I Horadric Caches by completing all the bounties in Act I. You have something like a 10% chance to get one from the cache if you're playing on T2 and something like a 20% chance to get one on T6. If you're having fun with the quiver you're using now, by all means keep using it. Just make sure to hold onto the end game stuff until you've found your set.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  10. Blanchard

I just noticed you have three pieces of Marauders and two of Blackthorne's. If you can manage T2, I think it's time to start doing Torment 2 Act I bounties and hunting for your Ring of Royal Grandeur. It reduces the number of set pieces needed to complete a set by 1 (but can't reduce below 2), meaning you'll get your Marauders and Blackthorne's 4 and 3 piece bonuses respectively from that single piece of gear. It is absolutely always best-in-slot for every endgame build I can think of, and will replace any rings taking up that slot, making the Focus/Restraint combo unusable in the endgame. An interesting thing with Maraduers is it gives all the passive and activateable effects of all of your pets. When you click the Companion button on your hotbar your Boar will taunt the enemies around you, spider will toss webs on everything, bat will instantly generate 50 hatred, ect. It's super powerful even before you get the Sentries set bonus.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  11. Seung Lee

I see! Thanks so much for the info :D I've been running Act 1's to get the ring :3

By the way one last thing, I got my chest armor the garwulf hunter and I was wondering if thisi s worth using on higher levels of torment or if it just isnt along with the M6 set

12. Blanchard

Some people argue that Garwulf's a viable option, though most Demon Hunters I've seen are shooting for Tasker and Theo http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/tasker-and-theo/information/ because Sentries are considered pets and it helps push them into new breakpoints much better than any other single piece of equipment, and they increase your Companions' pet damage as well. Another option I've been thinking about lately is using Frostburn http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/frostburn/information/ with sentries to keep everything frozen and trying a cold build. The problem with Marauders is you need five pieces of the set, of which there are only Helm, Chest, Pants, Boots, Gloves and Shoulders to choose from. This means that for your bonus item you can only sacrifice one of those slots, meaning you couldn't use both Tasker and Theo and Garwulf's cloak and still get the full M6 build. T&T and Frostburn are tied for the rarest gloves in the game, though, and I believe you already have Marauder's so Garwulf will serve as an admirable placeholder as you chase those dragons. The other option would be Hexing Pants of Mr. Yan http://www.diablohub.com/database/item/hexing-pants-of-mr-yan/information/ which is also incredibly rare but powerful. The playstyle with Marauder's is really dull, though. You literally just run in circles dropping sentries and doing little else.

Something random that came to mind, your movement speed from items and paragon levels caps at 25% and can only be boosted beyond that by things such as skills or shrines. Once you hit Paragon level 200 you'll have enough points to max out one category in each of your paragon stats. You'll probably want to max out Movement Speed, Crit Damage/Chance, All Resist and Life Per Hit as your first paragon investments. Movement Speed through paragon lets you roll out of the "wasted" movement speed affixes on gear, since you can just max those through paragon it's much more valuable to roll those movement speed affixes into other things when you hit paragon 200. You always want to be at the 25% cap exactly from gear+paragon. Once your movement speed is maxed just throw all remaining points into Dexterity; mainstat and vit have no cap so you can pour your additional paragon points into those on that tab. For offense the choice is up to you; I would look to fill what you're lacking. For Defense I can't advise going with anything other than All Resist for your first 200 paragon levels because 250 AR is nuts. Life Per Hit will always give you the full amount of LPH you have once per each use of the skill, so as long as you connect with something you'll heal for the amount given. It's quite a potent effect. Area Damage is useful as well but it doesn't work with pets, sadly. I wouldn't bother with Area Damage affixes on gear since you can get 50% eventually through paragon.

Feel free to shoot me a friend request at Blanchard#1203 if you catch me on and have easy questions or would like a live demonstration of some possible builds. For questions that you think will require a lengthy reply (I tend to go long-winded with just about anything, though >_>;; ) it's best to ask the question through here.

13. Blanchard

Also a completely random note, but I had my amulets mixed up in my original post. The rarest item in the game is The Star of Azkaranth, which really doesn't need to be as rare as it is. Your Xephirian is tied for 2nd rarest. They look similar and have similar effects. :p