Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

returning champion / newbie

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by GoreSpilr, Mar 21, 2005.

1. GoreSpilr

GoreSpilr IncGamers Member

returning champion / newbie

I played D2 a lot over a year ago. I've taken an interest again and don't really know where to start. I have no gear and no friends on bnet. Whats a good char for me to start with to build up some decent gear? I hear sorcs are good, but I don't have the steadies connection to bnet so teleport often leaves me dead. Thanks
    GS

2. tallon

tallon IncGamers Member

What realm are you on? If you're on west ladder you can hit me up... *theforgedone

The best to start with *imo* are sorcs. Build either a cold sorc (blizzard) or meteorb sorc and do hell meph runs. You don't need much in the way of items to start with... and hell meph still drops a lot of good items.

-tallon

3. GoreSpilr

unfortunately, I chose east. I have a friend that plays on there.
    I might do the sorc thing again, but a necro is really more suited to me personally. Thanks for the input,
    Devin.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

You should definitely go with a necro...a summonmancer is so easy...normal is probably the most difficult place for him but after that it's a breeze..Maybe not quite as suited for MF runs as a sorceress but, they can still get the job done.

5. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

If he's laggin w/ tele I dont think having 40 minions on the screen is a good idea. :D

6. ZeN

ZeN IncGamers Member

Yeah, i'd go with summoner ( max RS/SM/CE and you are set to go ).

MFing is actually good, you will be able to do Pits/Baal/CS
    with little or no trouble wearing MF gear. Sorcs are harder to play untwinked than Summoners.

Also a good option would be a Frost Zealot if you prefer melle cahracters.

7. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

build bliz sorc > mf > get some items > buy better mf stuff > then mf good stuff > then get some currency together > buy stuff cheap > sell stuff for profit

somewhere in there u need to learn wat everything is worth too, rly helps u 'get rich quick'

8. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

the summoner is nice, even if you lag a bit you minions are more then enough to block and kill monsters. you will more often then enough live through the lag.

about the build, summoners can get by with just skeletons and and the mastery maxed, this is just 40 points + few one point helpers like summon resist, revive, curses. even doing this gets your build done fast.

the summoner variant i find best for mfing is, maxing skeletons, the mastery poison nova, getting your one point skills, 1 in all curses leading to lower res then just one in lower resist, one in summon resist (and/or revive if you wish) then pumping the synergies to poison nova with all points after. this build can take you through all of the lvl 85 areas like, "the pit" in tome highland, without much of a fight.

ill stop rambleing now. :lol:

...and get might merc

9. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Imho, Hammerdins are an easy first character to play on ladder. You can easily built a decent hammerdin without extra expensive gear. They also do great mf character. I always start with an hammerdin on ladder.

10. tallon

tallon IncGamers Member

I heard that hammerdins are so great to start with...

SO I did. First char on this ladder... and when I tried to start mfing, I got killed so pathetically fast that I've made a sorc.

And she's good :)

-tallon

11. GoreSpilr

and blizzard is preffered over cold orb for mf builds?

12. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Sorry but I dont get how you end up dead most of the time with your hammerdin. I agree that it takes some getting use to in the case of firing hammers but if you have decent HP + max resistances and good block, which easy to reach with pretty much any paladin, you shouldn't die all that much. You don't need godly gear to make an Hammerdin work, even for mf. For all pratical purposes, there is almost no area an hammerdin can handle beside maybe the maggots lair which is a nightmare for that built.