Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Returning after quitting for a couple years

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Xori Ruscuv, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Xori Ruscuv

Xori Ruscuv IncGamers Member

Returning after quitting for a couple years

Hello, everyone.

I am considering returning to play some Diablo II:X after being away for a couple years. When I left, I was tired of cheaters, a couple hideously overpowered characters while every other build sortof sucked. SOJ economy, ever present proliferation of bugs and duped items.... *sigh*

I still sortof miss the game though, and I am wondering if it is any better now. I've read very little so far, but have found nothing in the way of being able to find out exactly what has changed in the last two years. I'm wondering a few things specifically:
    1. Are all character types viable now? I've heard that Hell is impossible to solo, so there is much more cooperation required. However, I'm especially wondering if Paladins and Necromancers are tuned up while sorcerers and amazons tuned down - or if there are other things added/subtracted from the game that make all the classes more balanced.
    2. Is gold worth anything now? I've played 3 MMORPGs in the last 2 years where the main currency IS MONEY. It's nice. Is this hideous SOJ thing still going on or what?
    3. How fares the battle against duping/bug exploiting/etc? Is it WORTH playing, or will a completely new character be completely helpless in the new economy?

When I quit last time, I had just lost an account (probably hacked, but I'm not sure how since I never used 3rd party hacking tools and I am fairly sure I didn't have any duped items) with a level 95 sorceress and a level 99 paladin (who was my pride and joy:)) I'm hoping these sorts of things are happening far less now...

Anyway, let me know... and thanks for your time!
    Good day.

2. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Whew, so much to go through.

A lot has changed in 2 years for sure. Multiple patches and gameplay changes, too many to list of course. I'm as much of a fan as ever, with the new "Ladder" system.

The new system is kind of like how Hardcore and Softcore are separated, now with Ladder/Normal separation. The ladder is/was fresh with no dupes and hardly any godly items at all when it came out. Since then there was a slight rune duping scandal, but nothing so major as what happens in Normal these days. I love the ladder, and the synergized skills of the characters, and the new viable builds you can make that would have never worked in 1.09. The multitude of new items and runewords are awesome too.
    As for Hell, it is very tough yes, but with the right build and some decent gear its really not all that hard if you advance with a bit of caution.
    As for the soj? well, theyre being sold to merchants to spawn the new Diablo Clone, who drops a very wonderful Annihilus Small Charm.
    Gold is sort of worth something, for gambling anyway. Gambling can net you set or unique items if youre lucky, moreso than you could in 1.09.

Hope i answered at least some of your questions.

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

1. Yes, although there will always be variant builds that have a tough time. Necromancers and Paladins have indeed become more viable overall and while Sorcs and Zons have been toned down, they are still powerful if built well. Cooperation makes things go much smoother but it is still very possible to solo in hell if you are careful.

2. Nope, money is still worth nothing except for gambling and repairing. The soj economy of old is long dead and will stay that way. Runes (and to some extent PGems) is the new currency.

3. Duping and related cheating will never be entirely squashed, but those types of things are not nearly as rampant as they used to be. New anti-cheat code in 1.10 is responsible for this. There are occasional incidents though, they are usually handled fairly fast.

Of course the game is still worth playing! You've been gone for two years and MUCH has changed, believe me. It will almost seem like a completely different game I imagine.

Welcome back to D2 :)! I hope we see more of you around the forums as well as in the game.

4. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Paladins are literally viable using any aura now. Hammer/cocentration, veng/conviction, zeal/fant, zeal/holy shock.

Necro skeletons can kill stuff and survive well now. Bone spells can do some dmg and Poison can be the most damaging with all the new items.

5. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

And though I don't play them at all, Zons apparently lost a fair amount of their expertise with the bow, while javazons are more common now.

6. conan

conan IncGamers Member

Bowazons or Dexazons can still be formidable in hell if they are well made or atleast well equiped. My 1.09 dexazon was going to become a lvl 99 mule untill i discovered BotD Hydra|Archon Enigma|Delirium. With "Confuse" bieng constantly re cast from Delirium, monsters never (well hardly ever) pay any attention to me so my lvl 98 NM Defensive (Holy Freeze) merc and lvl 15 Valk tank while I spam Multi or Strafe. With Good Rersists and decent MF she rocks. I of course still cant take a punch too well thats why Delirium makes a zon a Zon, (dont get hit!)

ahem=)

7. conan

conan IncGamers Member

Bowazons or Dexazons can still be formidable in hell if they are well made or at least well equiped. My 1.09 dexazon was going to become a lvl 99 mule untill i discovered BotD Hydra|Archon Enigma|Delirium. With "Confuse" bieng constantly re cast from Delirium, monsters never (well hardly ever) pay any attention to me so my lvl 98 NM Defensive (Holy Freeze) merc and lvl 15 Valk tank while I spam Multi or Strafe. With Good Resists and decent MF she rocks. I of course still cant take a punch too well thats why Delirium makes a zon a Zon, (dont get hit!)

ahem=)