Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Return of the Paladin

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by IdiotDK, Jul 4, 2008.

1. IdiotDK

IdiotDK IncGamers Member

Return of the Paladin

I hope we get some sort of paladin type. Not nessecery the Paladin from Diablo 2.
    But the game need a party knight.

I could see him with merged aura trees since many of them arent needed, and some of them could have been the same.And then adding a new Hoy Magic tree. Where the top skill would be Summon Angel.

That would just be Amazing.

2. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Re: Return of the Paladin

Paladins are only welcome back if they remove Holy Hammers! Seriously though, I'd like to see a total rework for this character.

'Holy skills', such as Holy Bolt and Fist of the Heavens (not Holy Hammers!) should be upgraded so that they actually do anything. Ok, so there were some good FoH duellers, but they had uber gear and were still pretty much useless against anyone with absorb.

Summon Angel or similar is a bit too silly for me - Paladins have always had a role as a support cleric and strong physical character. I don't see them turning summoner as they had no real weaknesses in DII. Also, we only saw two? angels in DII - I find it unlikely that we'll be able to spam them in the new game.

Speaking of DII, I believe there were mods that allowed you to use angelic summons, but I couldn't say what they were called...

3. IdiotDK

IdiotDK IncGamers Member

i think holy (blessed) hammers should stay, they should just work in another way. Like a giant hammer smashing down in one place. Then maybe rename it to Hammer of Judgement or something.

And also, the angel idea. i really doubt it will be there. i just think its awsome. It should be a one summon think. and only have like 30 second life. and a 10+ minutes cooldown.
    life increasing maybe 2-3 seconds pr skill level.

4. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Something I could like to see, is a judgmental Zakarumite Zealot as a holy type, wielding a giant halberd. With mephisto being gone, the church of zakarum would surely rebound and rebuild, and im sure quite dedicated to eradicating the demonic taint that nearly destroyed their order. Instead of being defensive with big shields, they take to the offense, eager to attone for their sins by spilling rivers of demonic blood as they carve them up in a holy frenzy.

After all the players in d2 makes sure of that when they destroy the Compelling Orb with Khalim's Will. All zakarumite mobs fleeing from you.

5. UnderAge

UnderAge IncGamers Member

I think the paladin should make a come back, that was in my opinion the best rounded character. Had auras for the party and had few very strong builds. Just tone down the hammers so everyone else will be happy.

6. ELox

ELox IncGamers Member

How about instead of summon Angel which would change the character dynamic too much into a pet class, make the Paladin able to Transform into an angel or holy avatar of some sort for a period of time. Maybe even a new set of skills when in the form to deal a ton of holy dmg and maybe heal over time. Nothing permanent like shapshifting but just a temporary form that is significantly more powerful but loses the party aura or other standard paladin skills in place of it's own.

7. SirLuxeflex

SirLuxeflex IncGamers Member

How can one fight evil WITHOUT a warrior of the light?

Besides, paladins are great for PKing!!!

(just messing with you anti-PKs around here ;) ).

8. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

I have a feeling they will be more along the lines of Cleric or Priest.

What my PERSONAL hopes are, that they get all sorts of different holy attacks that arent weapon reliant but act like melee attacks, in addition to other general holy spells that take the form of more traditional ranged attacks and pbaoe spells.

Aside from that, I think one cool way to rework the same ideas of the paladin would be to have his other aspects be "offensive" auras, but not the party buffing auras, more auras that affect the enemies rather than the party.

And instead of having buffing auras, he can have a new aspect, called "blessing" that would essentially be castable buffs on other players, things that would make them slightly tougher, do more melee damage, cast faster or whatever. I think this would be a little cooler than plain buffing auras because you wouldn't have to worry about your fanatacism only affecting the barb but not the sorc, you could also give the sorc meditation, for example.

(just note that I wanted to split up the enemy effecting auras and the party buffing auras so that the character could have a little more depth, both buffing and debuffing at the same time)

That's just what I think would be a really cool and interesting new take on the "holy warrior"

No more ultimate blessed hammer.

9. Flayer

Flayer IncGamers Member

I have to agree with 5zigen here (and probably on other matters as well). A cleric-type character like he described seems like a definite possibility somehow. What they're going to name it, though, is anyone's guess, and it will probably gain some of the Paladin's spells and the like. I don't think he will have a great deal of weapon skills though.

AoE holy spells like Blessed Hammers, Fist of the Heavens... those seem most likely to re-appear on this character (if at all, of course). A form of AoE Smite, maybe... Who knows. Holy Fire might be the name of some funky new skill. Just putting out random thought here.

10. SirLuxeflex

SirLuxeflex IncGamers Member

Holy Hammer --> 'changing' your current weapon into a hammer, adding additional damage/attack rating/speed.
    Holy Fire --> Flaming your weapon and shield with righteous fire! Increases smite damage and normal damage. Also damages monsters/player who hit the paladin in melee. Also active as an aura. Same goes for Shock and Freeze.
    Holy bolt should be removed.

11. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Nah, they just need to buff it. Maybe make it so it damages undead AND demons, and so that it seeks them out in a group or something cooler like that.
    It's been such a staple of the game since D1 it would be a shame if it didnt make it into D3.

When I think D1 I think 3 things: Fascinating, Sacred and Ornate. Those correspond to Firebolt, Charged bolt and Holy bolt.

I liked your other skill ideas though, that's exactly what I was thinking.

12. Spinns

Spinns IncGamers Member

As long as they don't make the class thats taking the role of the pally in D3 into a priest he needs to be at least partially melee base so he can tank damage but i agree with hammer make it a weapon summon if thats a good term to use

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

That won't happen, as it is too close to the new barbarian skill called Hammer of the Ancients

14. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Without teleport, hammerdin is a build with a pretty unique playstyle that demands some unusual player skills to get the most out of. I would welcome a skill based off the bh mechanic, e.g. reconceptualised to being a radial variation on the with doctor's zombie wall we've seen, though would prefer to see paladins removed.

15. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I can't imagine we'll get paladins back the way they were. The corruption of the council would have to have some pretty radical effects on their order. If they're around they'll either be a new order and probably have a new focus of their skills or they'll be the last of their kind and on the way out. It would be annoying to have them be the last of their kind though considering we'll see them regularly in our parties.

Personally I don't want to see them return. Open up their slot in the group of 5 for something new and different.

16. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

I believe the Paladin in D2 was from a group that had already left the order.

17. tradinfool

tradinfool USEast Trade Moderator

I thought they said that they wouldn't make a paladin though

18. nishtikeit

nishtikeit IncGamers Member

i dont want anything like the ****ing d2 pally - overpowered, overadaptable ****ing class. if they make another OP char, i will shoot someone.

19. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Your anger is clear. But sheesh, take it easy on the language, man. It's only a game.

20. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

I want something with Holy/Unholy Word...