Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Return of the Nova Sorc...(Need Suggestion)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by FlyingPerson, Apr 1, 2005.

1. FlyingPerson

FlyingPerson Diabloii.Net Member

Return of the Nova Sorc...(Need Suggestion)

Hi All:

Since V1.10 out, with all the adjustment, I havnt see any Sorc using Nova nowaday. I think this build can bring back some "RESPECT" to Nova Sorc in V1.10, it is rather sad to see one of the most popular build in V1.09 been eliminated in V1.10, I guess I will give it a try.

20 Nova
    20 L.M
    16 Telekinese
    1 E.S
    6 to Pre-request (Lightning Skill Tree)
    7 Warmth
    1 Shiver Armor
    1 C.M
    5 to Pre-request (Cold Skill Tree)
    20 Frozen Orb

Total = 101 skill points, which can be achieve at Lvl 90

The ideal gear will be:

Griffon Eye: +1 All Skill, +25FCR, +15% Light Dmg, -20% Enemy Light Resist
    Ormus Robe: +3 to Nova, +20FCR, +15%Light Dmg, 15Cold Dmg,
    Eldritch Orb: +3 All Skill, +40FCR, +20%Light Dmg, +30 Energy
    Spirit Monarch: +2 All Skill, +35FCR, +55FHR, +22Vit, +112Mana,
    Frostburn: 40% Max Mana
    Arach Belt: +1 All Skill, +20FCR, 5%Max Mana

Boot is the hardest part...Merman Boot is perfect but I never see people has it. Too bad...it will be perfect for ES sorc by its 85 Magic Dmg Absort and CBF!!

Plz suggest a good boot, is there a boot which has DR, MR and Add tons of Mana and Str??????

+3 lightning skill ammy with 20 str

2 SOJs

1 Anni, 10 Lite GC.

In total, +9 to all skill, +19 Lightning skill, + 22 Nova, 140FCR, 55FHR

Stat will be:

Str: Enough for Monarch Spirit spend about 100 points here
    Dex: None
    Vit: 150
    Energy: Rest all to here.

With CTA, this build should have 600-800 life, 1800-2K Mana, the recovery mana rate should be fast enough. (Can always get a merc with meditation..)

Nova dmg: 3k-4k
    FO dmg: 400-450

I know with those Uber gear, I can have 44k Lightning Dmg and 22k Chain Lightning..however, I just dont like their killing speed..due to VERY inconsistant dmg and solo elemental only.

This build give terrific killing speed.just like the old days..teleport into group of monster and use nova (at least thats what I do in Hell Act 1 now, my gear is far from perfect). With the large mana pool and high warmth, it should be enough to recover all the mana within short time after kill a group of monster. Of course..dont forgot to use static field before teleport into gruop of monster..(lvl 20 static field sure enough to let u take half of monster's hp before they can reach you)

P.S from the trade forum, it is obviously that lightning sorc become minor group nowaday...(Cold skill GC worth most, then Fire GC, then Light GC...)

Anyway...any suggestions are welcome:)

I got all the items except another 5 lite gc, 1 anni and a perfect Griffon eye :D anyone would like to donate?:p or sell their Griffon eye (dont need to be perfect) a little bit cheaper????? :D

2. Uzziah

Uzziah Diabloii.Net Member

Merman boot??

I think that was a beta boot, but IIRC it didn't get put into the final patch.

Here is arreats summit unique boots page.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/uboots.shtml

It does not have the Merman's Sprocket.

diabloii.net updated during the beta but not after it.

Your build looks workable for the nova sorc, though it may not be as powerful as you remember from 1.09 or earlier patches, still a fun build.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

Merman's Sprocket isn't in 1.10....And I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the beta either..

No...I don't think there are any boots with DR & MR...as for tons of mana and str...a crafted caster boot would have some +%mana and could get plain +mana too, as well as +str...but that's a bit of a long shot. Silkweave gives good mana.

If I had all that sweet gear I'd make a Charged Boltress...very pretty sparks and you don't have to be as close as Nova...

4. FlyingPerson

chargeboltress can be a good choice too...

just in order to do that, I must sacrifice either 20 Telekineses or Orb...in a way, i think both are important...(without good ES..then I need to worry about Resistance....hehe..I believe Chimaira must realize why I ask the ES question before:p) Without FO...then it will become a solo elemental sorc...

thats why after all the consideration..I decide to go with Nova instead of Chargebolt.. :D

By the way..is Gul rune enough for a non-perfect Griffon? (I probably should ask this question in other place...but oh well...the trade forum price list is just a optimized general trading value, I actually used 1 ist and get a mid-lvl CoH and 4 ist for an Arachon Enigma)

5. Chimaira

I wasn't trying to change your mind or anything....I just think that a charged boltress would be really cool, but I don't have all the sweet gear that you have:(

6. FlyingPerson

hehe..I dont have all the sweet gear as well...(by the way...most of my gear should be avg value only.....other then Griffon and SOJ. Thanks to the minor group of lightning sorc...lightning skill item are rather cheap compare to cold and fire:p...i got the ormus (15 cold, 15 lightning, 3 nova) by trading a Skullder.....and light gc is a lot cheaper compare to cold and fire too:p)

by the way...the charged boltress...I tried one before..and always die when I am fightning with a Lightning Enchant monster :D how can you tell which charge bolt is urs and which one is monster's.....:D yeh...I know they going different direction...(the one coming toward me is monster's) but...when there is full screen of chargebolt.....

7. Chimaira

Yes this is kind of a dilemma...but still all builds have weaknesses.. Just try to keep your distance, have good resists or maybe let your merc handle the boss. I also play Single Player so most of the gear is out my reach...for now:)

8. Beancloud

Beancloud Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you sooo much!!! I have been reading these boards and serching goolge and was mad that one of the favored builds had been raped and thrown out!!!! I was wondering if u have any sugestions for poor players...like what to wear for the time. Also can this build do it all? Mf....pvp pvm? And why invest 16 points into telekinises? And how can u achevie 101 skill points at 99?

9. Georgemofo

Georgemofo Diabloii.Net Member

+12 skill points from Normal/Nightmare/Hell Den Of Evil, Radament, and Izual.

90+12= 102 skills

That's enough.

10. shade449

shade449 Diabloii.Net Member

Is it just me or does your skill layout only add up to 97? Am I missing something here....

11. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

A few points :

Why the 140FCR ? Breakpoints are 105% and 200%.

You should add 1 point to TS (thunderstorm). With the +skills, just 1 point gives quite a powerful addition, and opens you up to pvp.

Skillweave would the ideal boots for this build: 10%Mana and +5 mana per kill.

An amulet with +life would be more useful than 20 strength. +100 life would be ideal. I used to have a +3 fire +100 life amulet.

The equipment you are after is quite hard to find and you can afford to lose 35%FCR. Consider some alternatives: Tal set, Shako, Occulus, Vipermagi.

You forgot to mention lightning facets. You can socket 3 in this build.

12. Kemist

Kemist Diabloii.Net Member

its just not going to go well, ull have beyond weak orb nova and ts, sorry kid =/

13. Beancloud

FliyingPerson I am not trying to ruin this post or anything.....buuuut why wouldent blizzard be a good sub for orb?

14. Kemist

Kemist Diabloii.Net Member

blizzard wouldnt be a good sub either, itd do just about as much dmg maybe a lil more, no synergies are being maxed anywhere in this build, u will have trouble starting in nm =/

15. FlyingPerson

I am glad that there is still some ppl remember about Nova sorc:p

shade449:
    opps..its my mistake..
    Bcz when I am writing the post...I was thinking 20 in Telekenisis or 16. Bcz lvl16 give u 1:1 ratio already. I was thinking 4 more skill point to make it 20 or put that 4 in cold mastery to have better cold dmg, but seems like I forgot to add that 4 pts at the end:p I am training my merc to let him wear Insight now...so I am not sure hows mana regenerate going with lvl 7 warmth only.
    maybe put that 4 in warmth. Anyway..sorry..its my mistake:p

sorcyone:
    You are correct about that, but 140%FCR is just a bonus, bcz I cant take any of the item out. After calculation, its the max nova dmg output I can get.
    and the 55FHR from Spirit is too important...I cant leave that out.

So far it is..bcz I havnt seen any better one yet....However I prefer add mana or life or dmg reduce boots.....its bcz +5 mana per kill in this build isnt that important. Nova costs around 40ish mana with the build....+5 mana per kill really not helping anything. Anyhow..I am using silkweave so far:)

you are definitly correct about this one...just I never see a "Powerhouse amulet of the squid" before....

As I said before... the 35% FCR is a bonus..bcz it will give the max output Nova dmg. (25% FCR spirit monarch should be a lot cheaper in this case:p)

and you are right.i forgot about lite facet.

P.S I just found a 3 light skill with few life and 2 socket circlet. I believe it can have more dmg if i put 2 5-5 facet in it, lose that 25% FCR still allow me to reach BP of 105% :)

Thanks for all your advises...its always good to get ppl's advise to improve the build...:)

Kemist:

Probably, depends on how you view it. The purpose of this build is for fun mostly.

If you talking about lvl 40-50 in nm, you only need to rely on ur FO. I dont think lvl 50, with lvl 20 FO will have too much trouble in nm.

Beancloud:

Blizzard is better than orb when you have full synergies...but with this build, you wont have that much point to invest all the synergies..in this case, you have to live with your frozen orb.

16. FlyingPerson

20 Nova
    20 L.M
    16 Telekinese
    1 E.S
    6 to Pre-request (Lightning Skill Tree)
    7 Warmth
    1 Shiver Armor
    1 C.M
    5 to Pre-request (Cold Skill Tree)
    20 Frozen Orb

Total = 101 skill points, which can be achieve at Lvl 90

The ideal gear will be:

Magic circlet: +3 Lightning Skill, 2socket with facet
    Ormus Robe: +3 to Nova, +20FCR, +15%Light Dmg, 15Cold Dmg, (add facet)
    Eldritch Orb: +3 All Skill, +40FCR, +20%Light Dmg, +30 Energy (add facet)
    Arach Belt: +1 All Skill, +20FCR, 5%Max Mana
    Boot: Silkweave +10%Max Mana
    Ring: 2 SOJs
    Ammy: +3 lightning skill ammy with life(ideal is 100 according to Sorcyone)
    1 Anni, 10 Lite GC.

with CTA,
    In total, +10 to all skill, +24 Lightning skill, + 27 Nova, 115FCR, 55FHR
    Nova dmg: 2604-3343 with + light dmg from item(55%) ---> 4036-5181
    FO : 415-435 + cold dmg from item (15%) = 474.95-500.25

Cheaper gear: (All the item I list below should be about the price of Pul, sometimes I even see ppl selling pul for 25-30 pgems...as long as you collect pgems..it shouldnt be hard to get those items)

Shako: +2 all skill
    Que-Hagen Mage Plate: +1 all skill, 15Energy, 20FCR, 20FHR
    Nightsmoke belt: 50%dmg taken goes to mana. (This is useful if your mana
    pool is not large enough and you havnt max telekinese)
    Eldritch: +3 all skill, 40FCR (if not perfect +light damage, shouldnt be
    expensive)
    Boot: Silkweave +10%Max Mana
    Ammy: +3 lightning skill ammy (without any mod should be cheap)
    Ring: 1 Raven frost and 1 10FCR ring

Alternatives: If your spirit is not 35% fcr, you might need to consider using 2 10FCR ring, OR get an crafted cast ammy with + skill. (If you are only looking for 5-10FCR in the ammy to makeup the non-perfect FCR spirit for 105% breakpoint, it is very cheap to get as well:))

summary:

+8 all skill, +11 lightning skill

Nova dmg: 1178-1581
    FO dmg: 384-403

17. Beancloud

Ahhhh Flying person don't tell me that this build is "just for fun"!!!!!! So I won't be able to MF....pvp....pvm? What is the point of doing this if not for anything? *not trying to be offencive*

Also are you in east or west NL...L?

18. FlyingPerson

This build will never be a good "boss killer". If you are looking for mfing on boss..then you shouldnt try this build.

But it will be a fast monster killer.

By the way, so far the most dangerous monster for this build is Pit Lord...their infernal fire and high hp is really a pain...(when they are inside your nova radius..yuou are inside their infernal radius as well...) Static field+FO is the only way to kill them

US East Ladder

19. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

The 55% does not apply to total damage, you add it in the same place as ligthning mastery so 55% is the same as about +4.5 to lightning mastery which is about the same as +2 to lighting skills. + lightning damage is quite deceptive. Also why noone use the Eldritch orb.
    Note the Tal orb mods are however useful, + to cold damage and - to light and fire resistance which nicely compliment all the masteries.
    Level 47 Nova with level 44 LM gives about 2680 damage [402.5*6.66]. Assuming you can find +55% to lightning damage, this goes up to 2902 [402.5 * (6.66 + .55)]. This is not great damage compared to fireball but will be effective in Hell.

Seriously I would take an occulus over Eldritch Orb any day. The only advantage it has is higher cast rate which you do not need.

Where is the + cold damage from items coming from ? I do not see it.

You should factor in 7-8 lgc into your damage figures, then add in -resists, and your nova sorceress starts to become effective.

There is a lot of good info you can use the the lightning and chain lightning guides. You should look there.

Finally just to throw a cog into your wheels, consider an Insight Merc and you can throw away all your + mana items and no need for warmth either. Insight can be used from level 27.

20. FlyingPerson

thanks for the advice.
    so far my nova sorc (incomplete) is the best jewel collector ever:p (since i am doing craft, it helps a lot..haha). I open a normal 8 ppl cow game, it takes me about 4 minutes to finish all of the cow and i can get 6-7 jewels from there:p

by the way, trust me, even with Insight and all the warmth and +mana item..it is still hard to cover up Nova and energy shield.

anyhow..conclusion..this build is an expensive build and not worth for newbie or not-rich player. So far I still missing facet, soj and lgc....(I am playing many chars...dont want to bet all my extra wealth on nova sorc at once :p so..building slowly....)