Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Results of 100 Lower Kurast runs (Hell)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Illiana, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

Results of 100 Lower Kurast runs (Hell)

In search of runes, gems, jewels and charms I have recorded the finds for 100 Lower Kurast runs. The runs were performed with a level 89 Blizzard sorceress, and the average time per run was 4 minutes. Note that that could be a lot faster if you'd just ignore the bosspacks and head straight for the chests and corpses.

Grand charms: 70 found, of which there were 2 skillers: a Barb warcry one and a Druid summoning one. Also kept a grand charm with 26% lightning resists and 7% faster run/walk.

Large charms: 67 found, kept one with 17 life and 18 mana, one with 26 life and 11% fire resist, and one with 8% resist all.

Small charms: 68 found, kept the following: one with 17 life, one with 8 life and 7% cold resist, one with 20 life, one with 7% mf, and one with 4% mf.

Jewels: 47 found, only kept one with 15% ias and 18 to mana

Runes (only Tal and higher were picked up): Ort x9, Thul x5, Ral x5, Tal x7 Sol x2, Amn x5, Shael x2, Dol x2, Hel, Fal x2, Lum and Lem. These were a bit disappointing; before I started recording I had done more runs and found an Um and Ko x2.

The sorceress who did the runs is also my Meph runner, so even after I'd put away all the magic find chamrs to have more room to pick up items, she still had over 300% mf. The following sets/uniques were found:

Bloodletter
    Thunderstroke
    Magefist
    Visceratuant
    Threats of Chton
    Tancreds weird
    Steeldriver
    Stormeye
    IK gauntlets
    Face of horror
    The jade Tan do
    The diggler
    Rite of passage
    Coldsteel
    Arctic mitts
    Dangoons teaching
    Civerbs cudgel
    Bladebuckle
    Duskdeep
    Bloodmoon
    Wizendraw
    Spike thorn
    Sigons helmet, greaves and Armour
    Blackhorns face
    Tal Rasha's orb
    Sword guard
    Gore rider
    Dark adherent
    Rattlecage
    Battlebranch
    Skull splitter
    Spine ripper
    Gavel of pain
    Bonehew
    Serpentlord.

And last but not least, 115 perfect gems were collected.

Edit: I used /players8.

2. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Thanks for the detailed report Illiana. :cool:

The results seem very disappointing overall. Nearly seven hours of running didn't pay back very much for you. Maybe your next run, you pop a chest and find a Cham. :D

3. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Thanks for the detailed results. What players setting were you on? I've been having terrible luck lately with LK runs for the most part.

4. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Well, actually it's pretty interesting. The grand charms can be rerolled and the perfect gems are nice. The uniques and sets are low, but that was expectable. The runes are somewhat lowish, but as you said, before you ran you had 3 higher ones, so the oppertunity is allways there :)

''Mil & Sam''

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I think that's a rather nice result...but I also have the worst runeluck, so a couple of Fals, a Lem and a Lum, seems pretty sweet to me. Or maybe I'm just biased because I absolutely love the Lionheart runeword. Also all the gems are very sweet, you'll probably get 1-2 skillers on top of the ones you've already got. I also think it's much more relaxing to do LK runs than some of the other runs that can be considerably more dangerous. All in all I'd say that's a pretty good outcome, and there's always the chance of something really good dropping.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well then i think that supports the idea of LK for rune running, but less so for MFing. Having said that, you seem to have goit alot of charms there, averaging a couple a run.

7. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

What would be nice is if you did a similar 100 runs, with record keeping, for a control area. I'm suspicious of the claim that LK is suped up for rune drops. There are a lot of chests there. There's a good concentraition of monsters. But is it really dropping "better" than other near by areas? I'd pick the flayer jungle, as it's nearby and has a good number of monster/chests to get drops from.

But thanks for the report. It is pretty consistant with my observations of the area.

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I don't think it is...The main reason to run there is, as you say, that the chest concentration is so high...Also the 3 superdrop chests near the fire that drop an insane amount of items/gold on higher player settings..It would be very weird if chests in one area would have better chances of dropping runes than the one next to it... Maybe the chests in LK can drop higher level runes than the ones in Flayer Jungle.

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

100 flayer jungle runs would take some seriosu dedication, as the area is very repetative and lots of annoying flayers runnign away and stuff.

10. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

interesting results, lots of charms and gems. must admit though that the quality of the charms wasn't that great, just luck again i guess but then against you :)
    Runes are always fickle but i must admit that you didn't get the best possible.

When i got the motivation for it i might do 400 minutes (or about that) of kurast sewers lvl 2 runs with my sorc and see what turns up

11. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Well, chests in LK aren't better than any other chests of act 3. But the big special chests of LK are really easy to run, just tele around, pop chests and collect drops. Also, I don't think there is as high amount of special chests in other parts of act 3, except sewers lvl 2, which is also popular area for rune hunting

Flayer Jungle is good because of high amount of monsters. there is less chests than in LK and usually they are just little baskets

You need a right character for that ;)

With certain builds it is really frustrating, but some characters can kill dozen flayer with single hit, even on high players settings

12. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

LK isn't "souped" up by any means.

It's just that it has a bunch of things going for it that may tip the odds compared to other areas:

- monsters are easy compared to other areas on p8. No ranged, no hard hitting (except for cursed etc ... vultures uniques) and they are usually slow too.
    - high concentration of poppables (chests, logs, buckets, barrels and skeletons) in a small area and three definite superchests within 15 yards by the fire.
    - waypoint is right there!

13. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Good joke AE a Cham :D

14. ZeN

ZeN IncGamers Member

Funny, i am at the beginning of my 100 Kurast + Sewers 2 runs. I'll finish ( if, that is ) and post a results here just to compare. But it has already paid off - i have got a MAL.

15. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Yeh w/ some dedication LK will certainly pay off. Chests have much much better rune odds than monsters do. Sure they may be boring, but they make for something other to do than just endless Baal runs. Plus the number of sweet charms and jewels plus crafting items give you something else to look forward to. I'd say around 500 runs should be enough to see a high rune or two. I'd guess I've done at least that many and I have seen 2 Lo's, 1 Um, 1 Pul and countless runes from Fal and below.

16. farting bob

farting bob Banned

My CL/FO sorc is only in normal, but im betting that there isnt a character better suited to hell jungle runs than she is. However, given a choice, i'd rather run meph. :)

17. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

A Cham???

Always thought they dropped in pairs only

Nice report.

DX

18. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I think it's important to be clear what an "LK run" is.
    As always in D2, the more efficiently you tweak for your exact goal, the better the results will be.

If you want runes, MF is no use at all. Killing the monsters is no use at all. You want FRW and FHR and run round hitting all chests. And since you're running repeatedly, don't go out of your way to hit every far off chest. Work out where the highest concentration is and just buzz them as fast as you can. A run shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

If you want items, you should hit just the superchests and racks, and again MF makes no difference for them. You should reroll your map so that the WP is close to the mentioned campfire with two huts. 3 superchests, one of each rack. A run shouldn't take more than half a minute.

LK has nothing to recommend it traditional MF-wise. If you want to use MF to make items be unique, go run Meph. Higher level, faster run, far more unique drops.

Also, no doubt some people realised this, but Chams don't drop in LK. Ber can.

19. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

Wow AE just got pwned!

20. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Flayer jungle runs done at p8 with a Hammerdin take a long time, maybe over ten minutes. I did 50 full clears for uzziah's rune race way back when. I collected a lot of runes, although not many high ones. Lum was the best I believe. Ko dropped on an unrecorded try.

The problem with mass killers is some of the little guys are immune to lightning, the others are cold immune and the witch doctors are fire immune. Maybe, a strafer or wind druid could do some damage. I had neither character at the time.

With hardly any MF, I found some low/mid elites, highlords and Windhammer are the memorable ones.

The best area from the rune race was the River of Flame. I suppose people like LK runs because they take no skill/good characters and can yield some nice results.