Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rest in Peace Mod

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by fahartle, Nov 7, 2006.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Rest in Peace Mod

Is it only Nature's Peace and Tyrael's might that has the RIP mod? Anywhere else?

2. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

"Lawbringer" runeword has it also.

3. Apophis

Apophis Banned

the redemption aura has it and its better than rip,it gives you life and mana, gratz pedu for 2 k posts soon :)

4. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

Heh. Hadnt noticed i was that close. :laugh:

5. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Tell you what... you run Nihlathak with Redemption active, and I'll run Nihlathak with a Nature's Peace ring, and we'll see who gets CE'd less often.:wink3:

Redemption is handy for clearing some bodies, but it's nowhere near as good as RIP because those bodies can still be used until they've been cleared.

6. fahartle

Thanks guys! I was looking for some way to get it on my act 2 merc for Nith runs. Freakin-a, I can't afford a Tyrael's ^_^. Guess I'll cross my fingers that my Glad's Bane and a nice Sol'd helm will keep him alive. Thanks!

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Redemption is good enough e.g. to clear up Baal's throne troom, so wave 2 doesn't resurrect OKs or dolls, but versus Nihlathak it needs too much time to remove all the corpses - it pulses just once per 3-4 seconds and it only has a certain chance to remove a corpse. However, it will also affect merc kills and exploded suicide minions which RIP doesn't, but you can solve that problem by staying away from the merc and suicide minions and by ensuring that you do most of the kills.

8. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Between bugged viper poison and Nihly's CE, I think you're probably better off leaving your merc at home when you run him. Resurrection costs can get expensive, don't you know. Besides, a merc with no RIP = lots of bodies for Nihly to tag you with.

9. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Can't you just keep an item that provides CE charges close at hand?
    Your merc should be able to kill at least one of Nih's minions. After that it's just sploding minions before Nih does :)
    This usually kills him in a couple hits as well...

Although you're probably not gonna get lvl 30 CE on an item I think this should be pretty useful... At least he's been the easiest Hell Boss for my sploder char by far.

10. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Hmm, I am sorry for going Offtopic, but I kind of noticed this yesterday...
    Is that the kind of poison attack that all of a sudden sounds like *HITHITHITHITHITHITHITHITHIT-->dead merc?*

11. McCain123

McCain123 IncGamers Member

To keep OT short, yes, thats the bugged poison. It deals physical damage per frame and since the are 25 frames / second it hurts a lot. You can counter the effect of the poison by either equipping gear with absolut damage reduction ( like Gladiators Bane or socketed Sol Runes ) or by simply not moving within a cloud. Since your merc is an idiot and will always move, only option one will work for him.

12. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I've also found that "not reviving him" is a very effective strategy for keeping him from dying in bugged poison clouds. In my experience, I've never lost a merc to bugged vipers when I follow the "don't revive his useless butt" method.:laugh:

13. krischan

When I'm doing key runs with my FO/CL sorc, I always revive the merc. He dies perhaps once per 10 visits to Nihlathak. My sorc kills most of the enemies and the merc can survive a CE or two, as well as running around in the poison clouds for 1-3 seconds. However, when there are tomb vipers, you often have to save him with a tactical teleportation, so he reappears at the sorc's own position, followed by a few FOs from her to kill them off.

14. fahartle

Yeah, this isn't OT at all. Nith killing is my primary consideration. I hate having to res the merc all the time as well, but I find going without insight on tele dependant runs (like, in this case, key running with hammerdin) just as annoying. So I'm desperately trying to find a build that'll keep him alive so I can use him. I don't care a whit for magic find or merc damage (since I can do all the killing no problem) in this particular case, so I'm thinking I'll slap a glad's bane with a sol in it and then a three sol helm. That would give him an absolute damage reduction of 43 to 48 depending on the glad bane roll. Anybody know off hand what the damage is on that Viper attack? Is it the Claw Viper Melee attack 2? 52-91

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act2-clawviper.shtml

I'm hoping that that gear will keep him kicking long enough to clear the vipers and spank Nith.

Another follow-up is whether I should give him my CV insight or my exceptional bill insight. I only want the aura, so I'm considering giving him the lower damage weap? There's no leech on his items anyhow. What do you think?

15. psych

psych IncGamers Member

If you want to avoid him making kills (e.g. you are wearing a nature's peace) then go with the bill.

If you are neutral on the matter of him killing, give him the CV, so he can add least add some damage. Or give him the one with the highest meditation aura for fastest mana regen.

16. krischan

Then he will die from not being able to leech. As I'm doing key runs with a FO/CL sorc with stress on lightning, teleporting costs less mana than the sorc can replenish, so she only gets mana problems when spamming CL too badly, but with Infinity on my merc that doesn't happen that often :azn:

17. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

40 PDR is generally the point that people aim for where the Viper's attack will be negated. If you can find a near-perfect Circlet of Life Everlasting (up to 25 PDR), then you can double-sol it for 39 PDR, which should be enough to keep him alive. Even better, if you can get a Diadem of Life Everlasting, you could TRIPLE Sol it, and then you could make do with a far-short-of-perfect roll on the Life Everlasting (even a worst possible SolSolSol Diadem of Life Everlasting gives you 36 PDR). Another option is to try to shop or roll for Jeweler's Armors of the Amicae (which would be incredibly, incredibly rare- like JMoD rare- but I'm just giving you some high-end options). Quadruple Sol that bad boy and you've got up to 43 PDR in a single slot.

If you can manage to get him enough Damage Reduction in one slot, he can devote the other slot to leech (either Tal's if you're using the PDR armor, or else Skin of the Flayed One if you're using the PDR hat). That should cover his survivability. After that, give him the highest-damage Insight you've got, and hope you can kill Nihly before your merc drops any corpses for him to explode.