Respawning in D3?

stillman

Diabloii.Net Member
Respawning in D3?

One of the problems in D2 was that players keep remaking too many games; they clear out their favorite area, then remake (Then, they cry like babies when they earn their way to a temp ban).

If the D3 format allows a bunch of separate games like in D2, then should there be respawning mosters in all areas so you could theoretically stay in one game killing things forever? Here are a few possibilities:

-Monsters are opportunists and simply move into underpopulated areas.
-Monsters reproduce fast and we see young versions of most monsters, which grow into adults.
-Dead monsters often get turned into undead by the corrupted earth itself, then the undead hoards take over a previously cleared area.
-Dead monsters decompose, but the bodies attract and feed animal monsters which are the new generation monsters.
-Creatures like shamen go around and res every monster in the area, so you could choose to clear out a whole area but leave just one shaman.
-There could be conjurers that steadily conjure more monsters until you kill them or it gets too crowded.

If a character is too weak for an area, he/she will get pushed back by monsters that spawn faster than the kill rate.

Re: Respawning in D3?

which are the new generation monsters.
-Creatures like shamen go around and res every monster in the area, so you could choose to clear out a whole area but leave just one shaman.
you can already do this in D2, only you dont get any exp from resurrected monsters.

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

Sort of a cool idea but problematic. What happens when you're trying a new and difficult build and your already cleared "safe zone" is suddenly filled with enemies? What happens if you die and now need to make your way back to your corpse?

Maybe you could have a respawn OPTION when you made them game.

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member

Problem with respawning is that it's botters heaven. Not that it ever seems to have stopped them in D2. So why not, would at least reduce lag from bots creating hundreds of games all the time...

smartdot

Diabloii.Net Member

I think that WoW got it right in this department. You can go into options and reset your instances in WoW. Of course some adjustments would have to be made. Of course, adjustments would have to be made. Ill edit later if i get any good ideas as to the needed adjustments.

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member

this would make corpse retrieval impossible
corpse retrieval is a crutch for poor, messy playing. The closer D3 gets to D2 HC mode (in terms of being careful), the better.

Respawning is a quick and dirty way to reintroduce monsters to an area. Instead of respawning, use "patrol" groups. Monsters move out from the center (Act1, for example the Monastery) in timed fashion.

It's should be like the Shenk Quest except more so then in only in concept (as seen in Act5). There should be no method of truly keeping monsters out.

For example, the monsters you see in the Blood Moor is the front of the patrols. These will start attacking the Camp from the "gate" as soon as the player enters the game. The towns should no longer be safe (from monsters). It's the player's job to help protect the Camp from being overrun in the beginning. As time goes by, the monsters become harder as tougher patrols show up. Furthermore, the monsters will surround and start attacking the Camp from all directions. The only way to stop these attacks is to get to the Monastery and kill Anderial.

When attacking, you'll run into patrols who move around the map. As a player, you should have scouting skills, or have a merc with scouting skills. This should allow you to weave and dodge your way through with selective attacks.

So, what's to stop players who simply sitting on their asses and defending the camp grounds to get XP? Monsters get harder, but your XP levels out. Furthermore, the longer you wait, the worst the consequences you'll see as you travel West. Remember, you're suppose to be racing against Diablo. If you wait too long, you get to Act2 or act3, etc. and it's been destroyed.

stillman

Diabloii.Net Member

About the getting your body problem: For D3, I was hoping there will be a more sensible manner than in D2 where you run aroud naked looking for your own body of which there are multiple copies. Instead, you and your gear should all return to town as Tyreal or w/e resurects you, but at some great cost like exp, gold, etc.

Ilikestuff, the shamen in D2 don't walk over the entire area and resurect every monster, only their own kind. I'd like to see all monsters resurected, then they quickly find new treasure to drop when you kill them again, and you get exp again.

Hopefully, there won't be any botting to exploit the respawning either.
Lyrus, I like the patrol idea. Any increase in AI is a good thing, and may make botting harder. I take it monsters get created at the end of the act and mobs move out in waves to the town border where you start? I guess the monsters get weaker as they move farther away from thie demon boss source so it makes sence.

Ilikestuff, the shamen in D2 don't walk over the entire area and resurect every monster, only their own kind.

no sh!t? the point i was making is mosters do get resurrected, but you dont get experience from them. and thats the way it should be. quit being so pedantic

raishi

Diabloii.Net Member

I like making it more like hc...the easier mode would be the game closes and you have to start a new game each time while the char stays nearly the same...like loose all gold and third lvl of exp per death with the risk of lossing lvls if one dies too much...the hard way you die and your done...or the hardest way...you die and your corpse gets reanimated and you have to fight it with your next character...

Planktonboy

Diabloii.Net Member

Remember, you're suppose to be racing against Diablo. If you wait too long, you get to Act2 or act3, etc. and it's been destroyed.
I believe there was a timed quest that was never included in the hellfire expansion pack as it "changed the way people played the game". Whatever that means I doubt that Blizzard will make a game in the diablo series that doesn't allow you sit around in town. Also, that sort of thing would be quite hard to integrate into a multiplayer game.

Nimbostratus

Diabloii.Net Member

Monster respawning:
How about something like this?
-New monsters of a species that would "naturally" be in the area can appear. You'd get more wendigos showing up in act one, and more balrogs showing up in act four, for example.
-Every monster has a "not really dead" chance. After you walk away, the monster has a small % chance of getting back up, but weakened (will regenerate to original strength with time, though).

Player respawning:
Fetching your own corpse does seem kinda odd. Perhaps the player should be put back in town fully equipped, but with his equipment messed up a little.
Durability on everything is decreased to 60-85% of value before death.
Maximum durability on a random piece of armor is decreased by 1-2.

And while they're at it, make sure the price to repair stuff makes sense (e.g. "crappy staff of fire bolts" doesn't cost more to repair than a full setup of godly gear).

stillman

Diabloii.Net Member

Those are nice, especially the "not really dead". In fact, when I played D2 for the first time, I thought those red carvers were just playing dead and got up later because they were sneaky. As it turns out, they were being resurected by shamen.

The idea brings up the possiblity of having weapons with mods that reduce the chances of foes faking death. That is, the weapons are more likely to totally kill--kind of like slain monsters rest in peace.

Planktonboy

Diabloii.Net Member

or the hardest way...you die and your corpse gets reanimated and you have to fight it with your next character...
I love that idea, even if that only happened in a handful of situations, there's a certain novelty to having to face yourself. (Actually, that sort of thing could put an end to fast rushing as well :crazyeyes:)

mince pies

Diabloii.Net Member

One of the problems in D2 was that players keep remaking too many games; they clear out their favorite area, then remake (Then, they cry like babies when they earn their way to a temp ban).
Well it is a bit of a ****ter when you get temp banned just because you make games too fast