Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Resistance Issues

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by MortisConis, Sep 15, 2006.

1. MortisConis

MortisConis IncGamers Member

Resistance Issues

I always have terrible resists in hell. I mean, not -75 across the board or anything, but usually around the -10 to (+)40 range. I keep various resistance charms in my inventory (usually I keep SC's over 5%, LC's over 10% and GC's over 20%).
    How are all these people running around with 75 or even 95 resist all? I've never once had a character that high. The only reason my assassin doesn't have negative resists is because of fade.

I know this is kind of a general question, because I'm not asking how to improve a specific character type/build, but does anyone have any general tips about how to have higher resistances while not taking away all from character effectiveness?

Thanks for any help
    (I'm deathly ill, so hopefully this was coherent and read-able.)

2. Idalia Snoweyes

Idalia Snoweyes IncGamers Member

Equipment.

Depending on your class/build, there are a few options that will help resists out greatly.

Chains of Honor
    Heart of the Oak (Really only good for caster builds)
    Mara's (Necklace with +2 to Skills and +20-30 Resists)
    Hellfire Torch (75 Required - Can sometimes get 'low' torches for Pul or so if lucky - Even the weakest gives +10 Resists/Stats, 25% Firestorm, and +3 to Skills for a specific class - Paladin/Sorc seem to be the most expensive)

You could also (Depending on class/build) look for resist rings. My Necromancer uses a +10% FCR, +12 All Resists, +20 Dex, +18 Life Ring and a +10% FCR, +19 Cold, +11 All other Resists, Half Freeze Duration Ring.

Many crafted/rare amulets can also have considerable resists on them.

You can also find resists on Rare/Crafted Boots (Two Resists, upwards of +20% or so).

Basically, equipment is the best foundation for Resists. Charms can help, and I do carry a few, but I believe it would not be easy to max out your resists using nothing but charms.

And sometimes, especially while on a budget, you have to choose between 'effectiveness' and 'resists' - Depending on how often you die due to low resists, it may be a good choice to lose some gear for resist gear.

3. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Well, obviously it varies from character to character, but usually, most characters get the biggest chunk of their resistances from their shields. Also, a good source for resistances is rare boots, gloves, and belts. They can easily boost your three important resists by 70 or more. I often store rings with resist all. Blue rings can get up to 15% resist all, which is a great way of beefing up the resists of a new character.

If you're really suffering, then you can use your armor spot for resists as well. You can get up to 50% resist all from Smoke.

Socketing Um's is a decent method of getting resists, although a tad expensive.

If you could list your equipment, we can give you most specific pointers.

4. Black Market

Black Market IncGamers Member

I too use assassin and CoH armor + Sanctuary shield (the runeword, not the unique) is working really well... maxed in hell. If you dont get resist from armor then you could try to socket shield or helm with Um and get the rest from charms. Dual Jade provide a lot of resist too. Another trick if you use Fade is that you can hire a rogue from act 1 and give her an Harmony bow. The Vigor aura provided by the runeword will make you as fast as when not faded. Just make sure she doesnt die too often so you can stay fast.

Best luck

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

You just have to make room for it in your equipment. It's not too hard if you have uniques and a little wealth, but it's pretty hard to get 145 resist all with just the stuff that drops for a character.

6. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Using a shield is the best spot to get some resistance.

7. SoulSurvivor

SoulSurvivor IncGamers Member

For cheap options, Spirit provides some resists and lots of other goodies, Rhyme gives 25 resall, 3 pdiamonds in a shield is nice too if you don't have the strength for anything else. Smoke is a great armor, lionheart is pretty good too for some extra damage on melee characters, otherwise nat's boots and IK belt are nice cheap items with good resists and other nice stats. I generally shoot for max light and fire resists, 50+ cold resist (even less if I have ravenfrost on) and 30+ poison resist.

8. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

So basically, you need to invest in items you don't have (otherwise you wouldn't have asked)

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

My assassin Mat'd using Smoke armour; relatively cheap. Failing that its the PDiamond option. Go go cheapskates.

10. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

If you can get your hands on a Shael, Thul, and Lem, and any 3 socket armor, you could make a Treachery armor, and use it for the Fade. It lasts just under 5 minutes (4:48), and grants 60% resist all and 15% DR. You can trigger the Fade, and then switch back to your normal armor. Although it can be a bit tedious, running back to your stash every 5 minutes.

11. MortisConis

MortisConis IncGamers Member

It looks like I should be checking out rune words more than I am now. I just made an Obedience in a thresher for my berserker, and it's GREAT. Awesome damage, plus 28 resist all in a weapon really helps too.
    Anyway, I guess a lot of really helpful rune words (smoke, rhyme, spirit, etc) are a lot cheaper to make than I thought.