Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Resistance Calculations

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Fido, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Fido

Fido IncGamers Member

Resistance Calculations

Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find the answer anywhere.
    How does the game calculate damages with enemy resistances, ie what formula does it use? And is it the same formula for players as well? I need to know to decide where to take my sorc build.

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Surprisingly enough, resistances work just like one would expect it: if you deal 500 fire damage, and the target has 50% resistance, then you are doing 250 actual damage.

If you have -10% enemy fire resistance in your gear, then the resistance would be 40% and you would deal 300 actual damage.

-x% enemy resistance gear only works if the target is not immune. Conviction, Lower Resist, Amplify Damage and Decrepify can break immunities; if this happens the -% enemy resistance gear will work again.

3. Fido

Fido IncGamers Member

Thanks, I was confused by wise_man's post where he calculates a cold resistance of 75% and 1000 damage using:
    "damage with (+75%) damage: (1000*1.75) * (1-0.75) = 1750*0.25 = 437.5"
    in this thread.
    Adding in a *75 to the calculation
    It should be (base)(1-resist*.01)

So by your calculation, with -100% enemy resist, the damage would be resist damage + base damage right?

4. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

if the opponement has -100% resist you will deal double damage.
    E.g. a fireball providing 12k of damage.
    After pvp reduction this is 2k of damaeg.
    After resist this will be 4k of damage because you will have taken your enemys resist from 0 to -100.

5. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

The example might look confusing because he's using both a +75% damage thing and 75% resistance, which happens to be the same numeric value.

-100% enemy resist doubles damage ONLY if the original resistance is at 0%. If you deal 100 damage, and the base resists are 90% you'd only deal 10 actual damage; with -100% enemy resist in your gear the actual resists would be at -10% and you would be dealing 110 actual damage -- 11 times as much as before. Essentially -% enemy resist becomes more effective as the resistance goes higher.

With more realistic gear items, such as -10% resists, this would still look reasonably good:
    100 damage, 90% resists -> 10 actual damage
    100 damage, 80% resists -> 20 actual damage
    So just -10% enemy resist would double the damage in this example.

As an elemental damage dealer, monsters with high resists are your main problem in any case, and that's where those -% resist things really shine. Also, since the immunity breaking skills work at reduced efficiency when dealing with immunes, monsters will still have high resistances after their immunity is broken (a 50% Lower Resist curse, for example, will leave the monster at 90% resist in the best case --- and you aren't going to get much higher than 50% with that curse). However, -% resist items are applied after the immunity breaking... so while it is impossible to get an immune monster to 80% resistance with the Lower Resist curse, it is possible with just a 50% Lower Resist curse and -10% resists from gear...

Also, resists are capped at -100%, so if a monster is at -30% resistance then with another -100% from your gear it would still end up at -100%, not at -130%.

The sorceress cold mastery skill works like -% resist from gear.

6. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

I also did write it was from 0 to -100...

7. Fido

Fido IncGamers Member

Sorry my post was worded badly.
    What I meant is if you have a skill that takes 100% off enemy resist you will receive a fixed bones regardless of what the original resistance of the enemy is.
    If we look at the function:
    Damage Dealt = Base Damage(1-Resist)
    With a fixed base value it will be a linear line going from 2xBase Damage to 0.
    If we subtract resist it will move the graph to the right however many percent you subtract and visa versa with adding.
    So with whatever your minus resist skill is at you you always do an additional (Base Damage) * (Resist Subtraction) basically added onto the damage after resist damage without minus resist is calculated.
    With a fixed Base damage of 300 from frozen orb for example you would be adding 15 damage for every 5% -enemy resist added from cold master, regardless of what level cold mastery is at, (+6 damage for icebolt synergy). Except it should be treated as +magic damage on a weapon would be, as in it's added in after other calculations and after resistances, it's actually better than straight added elemental % because it isn't subject to the resistance penalty, (although you don't get the bonus from negative resistance either) so it's really not as bad as everyone tries to make it out since they don't understand how it effects their damage. It's slightly worse than the other masteries but it's no worse than the synergies that blizzard gets, plus it gets the initial 20% bonus, and like someone said in that blizzard sorc thread, it's bonuses apply for higher levels too so it's much better than blizzard synergies, and frozen orb synergies.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hmm, I don't understand what the question is, but if a question remains, this might be the answer :lol:

Percentual resistance reduction is better than the same number of a percentual damage bonus if the unmodified resistance your enemy is positive. Else it's the other way around. The case becomes more complicated if the -res gets capped to the minimum -100% the enemy can have (happens all the time with high level cold mastery). In that case you have to make the calculation by hand.

If a monster has more than 100% resistance, the part beyond 100% counts five-fold and it can be broken only with the skills mentioned by Myrakh-2 in posting #2. Cold mastery won't break immunites, for example, but if another skill breaks it, cold mastery will work normally.

9. SkatterBone

SkatterBone IncGamers Member

...and on a related note....

Do -% resistance and/or +% elemental damage apply as an area affect or must the particular elemental damage be dealt directly by the wearer?

i.e. Would a pemerald-pike weilding merc do greater damage if your character wore Trang's set?

If only elemental damage dealt directly by the wearer is checked, are all delivery methods/souces equally effective?

PDagger=PNova=3xTal bow=rancid potion=pestilent charm=necro shield with +pdamage=etc., etc.,... where a change in target resistance is implied by other gear? (assuming the delivery method hits the target)

10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That last part is correct. Did you know that fire and lightning mastery also boosts fire and lightning damage from your gear and charms, not just your skills?

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

But only on melee attacks.

12. krischan

Reduced resistance from curses and auras has an effect on attacks from anybody. Reduced resistance from elemental mastery or item affixes work only for the according character.
    Are you sure that e.g. fire mastery doesn't work on missile attacks, like the bow/crossbow of an enchantress ? In addition, I always thought that fire mastery affects e.g. the area damage of the holy fire aura as well, not just the fire damage added to attacks. I'm thinking of an enchantress again, wearing Dream (two of them, to be precise... although the point of this build is getting a huge fire bonus to attacks). Does my memory fail me here ?

13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Okay, here is my understanding of the sorc masteries. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

They boost skill damage by the designated amount. So, lightning mastery will boost the HS aura from dream, and fire mastery will boost the enchant damage. This works for both ranged and melee. Now, for a melee attack the masteries boost all damage from that element done in the melee attack. This would include charms and the already boosted Enchant and HS damage. (So double mastery applies for these skills.)

My understanding is that in 1.09 the masteries applied to all damage delivered for both melee and ranged enchantresses, although the LCS didn't show it for the ranged. In 1.10 both were "corrected" for ranged attacks resulting in the mastery not applying to the non-skill damage (and not double applying for skill damage) and the LCS saying that is does.

14. krischan

I always thought that a double Dream enchantress will get a huge *fire* bonus to her attacks because of some mastery gets applied twice and now I notice the runeword gives you a holy shock aura ?! I guess I should think a little more before making postings :lol:

Anyway, the point of my posting is the same as before, with the example being an enchantress having lightning mastery as well.