Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reset

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Wolfedude, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Reset

I have been reading some recent threads about DiabloII being the best game ever (I happen to agree with that premise) and one subject keeps coming up - it is time for a ladder reset. I really have no preference as to whether this is done sooner or later but I do have an arguement as to one of the purported reasons for a ladder reset now. The posters state that too many of the elite items have dropped now and there are too many high level characters with access to them.
    This is ridiculous. I have played the ladder since it came out and have 2 very high level characters and a large number of mules with all kinds of items ranging from basic to elite. If the ladder was reset tomorrow you would have the same situation as you have now in about 1 month, much faster than before. Why? Because we now know the game better and know exactly which kinds of builds can succeed in the patch and how to play them.
    I would start a skellymancer immediately upon a reset and within 2 weeks of very part-time playing I would be about level 85+ and running all of the major magic find areas and finding all of the elite items in the game.
    It took me a lot longer than that the first time because I tried a few of the "old style builds" first. I would no longer make that mistake & would use the new tried & true builds.
    So if you want a ladder reset, fine. But the situation you folks have complained about will be back before you know it and I don't think Blizzard is going the do ladder resets once a month.
    Just my 2 cents.

2. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Good points. I have both arguments for and against a reset, the main "pro" one would be that there is not much more to find for alot people. But then again, I'm not one of them, and I don't have a BotD or Engima Hammerdin, so I've still got alot to find. That's the "con" for me atm. But, whatever.

Anyway, if they reset the ladder tomorrow, I'd first make a BO-biatch, take him to act1 hell, start an ORB Sorc, take her to act1 hell, give lvl 30+ BO, farm Andy untill I have decent things, go on to act3 and Meph, rince repeat.

So, I see your point Wolf, as it'd not take very long for me to get some pretty nifty things doing it that way. First time of 1.10, few knew what was good or bad for emassing goodies. Naturally, it evolved, and now, only a couple of months after the patch release, everyone and their mother knows exactly what to do and how etc.

So you're right. Personally, I don't care that much, as both continuing and reseting have their pros, and if cons outweighs pros, then it's not a game to enjoy and play. Simple!

3. TEB-Bird

TEB-Bird IncGamers Member

DUpes

Two words: Duped Runes

Now you can argue that even if they reset the ladder someone will just come out with a new dupe and things will be ruined again. But at least we get another month or two of pure economy and game play. Its all worth it for that

Bird

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I don't understand how there can be that many loopholes in the game. I mean I'm no code-writing expert, but hasn't there been like 4 or 5 duping sprees in the past couple years, plus that whole matrix bull**** for making Ith's? I can understand where maphack just sniffs out packets of info that's readily available, but finding duping techniques....

Anyway, back OT, that arguement you mentioned Wolfedude is really only contended by people who got a late start on the ladder (i.e. me and Stinger :p ). My main issues are the duped runes and getting a chance to run the ladder right from the beginning, not that I'd even have time with school and all to make it that high.

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I have 8 characters lvl 80+ 6 are 85+ and I put two lvl 87-** Necros, 3 lvl 77-83 Pallys, two 65 Sorcs, 70 and 53 Barb together in Classicbefore i started playing Xpac.

Now for time comparison, that ** and 87 Necro took me as long to make as it took me to get to 94 on my Sin! 83 on a Pally in Classic is like hitting **+ in Xpac. So what i am getting at is i put a ton of time in Classic before going xpac.

I already have:

Full Trangs Necro all found but Helm
    Full IK, got Armor for a Gul.........a gul.....ye a gul......I traded for a shako the other night and before I asked if he had a shako he offered me a choice of FOUR IK Armors!!! I know several ppl with this armor.
    I have had or do have 10 Wizzys, 5 Occys, never had one in about 3 times the amount of play in xpac 1.09.
    I have (2) Skullcollecter, never had one
    SS
    5 GAs
    4 Ists
    3 Guls
    3 UM
    sevearl Lum, Lem, Pul, Fal....etc I had like 2 Lums and one UM drop for me in 20 Sc and HC Xpac characters in 1.09!!!
    Scheaffers
    5 Bstars
    4 LS
    4 shafts
    2 CoT
    3 Ravens
    Doombringer
    ...etc.......

Most of that stuff I never found in 1.09 or ony found once and I was in xpac SC and HC for over a year before going HC Classic

Now if you ask anyone who knows me they can testify I just dont MF......i mean I do but as far as most ppl go, I dont MF. I may do 10-20 runs a week!

Sure it is awesome to a point taht these items drop more, but they didnt nerf the bosses and they drop better than they did in 1.09. This has flooded the market with items. Mark my words, if they dont resst pretty soon Tals armor will get traded for PGems.....ya a lot of them but it will happen!

Loophole in the quest system have have allowed ppl to rebound super fast. Hell just a week ago Bird decided he was going to see how far he could get in one day. Started about 9 am quit about 1am+ and hit ** pushing 89!!!!!!! Why becasue you can still rush which was uppose to be stopped or made terrribly long!

I know a certain Barb that has been rebuilt 3 times and hit lvl 95+ all 3 times and this was just in my relitively short time in Xpac.

Hey parts of this patch are awesome but it is too easy to get loaded with stuff and too easy to replace lvl 85+ characters.

The whole testimonial about how simple it is comes from all the ppl that have quit. They got too uber too fast and got too bored.

Oh ya sure many ppl play solo a lot or small games, had bad luck or play limited time and they havent had good luck but it is insane how much crap i have now and have GIVEN away and I am still overloaded and dont really try to MF as it bores me.

Blizz,

reset the ladder
    Fix the loopholes in quests
    Stop Cowing before completeing Difficulty
    Lower Baals Lvl so you cant hit 50/Norm 75/NM so freaking easy.......Hell Last night in my Team Ugly Muling game I took my lvle 56 Pally and killed Norm Baal and gained about 1/6 a lvl!!! This is totally destroying the challenge of the game IMO!

How many of those ppl on the ladder, especially the "rebuilds" would be up there if there wernt loopholes?

BTW....MR.Blizz, if you cant/wont stop map hack please dont make empty threats about it

6. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

no matter what you write, there will be loopholes. it's impossible to think of every possible way that someone else will think of to attack your program. It's like you trying to hide food from ants in your backyard... no matter where you put it, there are just so durn many of them all actively trying to find it... eventually they will :D

For instance, consider OS's... many think that Microsoft Windows is crap compared to Linux and or Mac OS and quote the fact that Windows has so many worms/viruses (viri? :D ). This is just not true... if any OS was the subject of so many people trying to find ways to screw it up, there would be many ways they could do it. Certainly they would be different for every OS, and harder for some than for others, but there would always be ways.

edit: i'm not defending Windows here... I am one of those people that think its crap, especially compared to Linux, but for different reasons. :flip:

7. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Reset that ladder I say, and do it pronto. If people want to keep accumulating stuff then play non-ladder. A regular ladder reset would keep things fresh.

8. rpgforumsnet

rpgforumsnet IncGamers Member

Search for John Carmack's article on game cheating and you'll know why hacking can never be avoided for all online games.

The ppl who created these great games are very smart but there's equally smart talents out there on the dark-side too. They have way too much times on their hands and some of their code are really good. (Step aside to forget about maphack being a cheat, it's a damn nice program all in itself).

It's just a online game not online banking software (even that it's not totally secured) so it's just a matter of how much demage the hack can do to the game (dupe > chicken > maphack > etc)

9. qattack

qattack IncGamers Member

Another poster brought this issue up near the start of the thread: DUPED RUNES.

This is currently the primary problem. Runeword items (especially weapons) are MUCH MUCH more powerful than (most) any unique counterparts. How many people would have BotD without duped runes? It would be hard enough to obtain a Vex, much less a Zod, and possessing the two of them even through trading would be an immense task. How many runes, Vex and above, have you personally found throughout your months of playing Diablo?

With so many Hoto's and Botd's around, the economy for the best unique weapons and armor is completely shattered.

A ladder reset every three months or so would cleanse the economy. Hopefully, they are able to somewhat combat the rune duping that has occured...I'm sure they cannot fully get rid of it, but I am equally sure that they are weeding out a portion of the duping.

When the quantity of powerful runeword items is lessened, good unique items will retain their values and be used much more.

10. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Where there is a will there is a way.
    If some highly skilled hacker wants
    to dupe his items... he will. That's
    the way life is. Blizzard is by no
    means a god figure that can stop
    every attempt at ruining the pure
    society we like to game in.

Lucky

11. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

I'm sure glad they got rid of the cow level exp....and made it easier to get exp in an even easier to get area.

When I can get a lvl 60 ish character in 3 days of playing it's SEVERELY wrong.

12. rathwraith

rathwraith IncGamers Member

Quoted for truth

i am a seasonal worker so i had tons of time to play and mf for stuff and it was just last week i found a vex and made hoto for my pally ... if every1 knew the recipie for rune rolls to drop then ppl would relize your more lickly to win the loto or get hit by an asteriod then have a zod rune hit the ground

there should be only 2-3 ppl on any realm with botd weapons

13. The big "T"

The big "T" IncGamers Member

A thought (well... maybe a couple)

For myself, the beauty of D2X are the variety of challenges presented. I can build to find powerful items to trade or use. I can chase around with friends (tweaked or not-tweaked) enjoying team effort. Play alone. Try odd or different builds and see how far I can take them. The list goes on and on!!! The number of duped runes or the fact that poeple have figured out how to get to 70+ quickly is offensive only if your reasons for playing are based on a relatively narrow perspective.

I personally don't have a problem with the economy. It's not much differnet then the stock market. It has it's ups and it's downs. Sometimes you ride the crest of the wave and others times your getting drenched. Regardless, the economy levels out. My ability to participate in it is more a factor of my luck then anything else.

The LADDER: only important if you are hell bent on being number one, or as a displayed measure of your "worthiness" in terms of rank. Resetting the ladder may provide temporary relief for some, but all the complaints registered here will return not long after the chase begins anew (likely more quickly as a result of gained knowledge from the first round).

The likelyhood of Bliz spending much time "fixing" things seems highly unlikely. Not enough buck for the bang.

my 2 (say 3 or 4) cents

14. RlNDl

RlNDl IncGamers Member

@T Good post, I agree 100%

I never trade with others, so dupes doesnt concern me at all. I play mostly private games, so they dont bother me that way either.
    I dont chase the No 1 spot, I play the ladder for the xtra challenge with new chars. In 1.09 I had alot of stuff, so I gave it away, all of it but a few playing chars that meant something extra. Emptied all mules in giveaway games.
    Now I have started to accumulate wealth again, so for that reason alone I would appreciate a reset. But if it doesnt come in a few months I would not complain, for some reason I die more often in 1.10 :scratch: .

15. zxgaimz_i

zxgaimz_i IncGamers Member

Ladder reset... Sounds beautiful but when will it come? I hope i'm right when i suggest that it will come when there is a lvl 99 sc, hc on all realms... if asia (1 or 2?) would hurry up i'm hoping that it'll be here, not 2 far from a month.

Hope its not just hopeful thinking.

-zxgaiMz

16. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

+1
    Very good post, I agree completely. I don't want a reset. If people have too many character/items, they can always delete, give away, suicide - so many options!

17. qattack

qattack IncGamers Member

For those of you that don't give a damn about ladder play, it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever if the ladder is reset or not. You guys can do practically the same things in non-ladder than you can in ladder.

I do not play ladder for a ladder ranking. I will never have enough time to hit the ranks of the ladder list. Diablo II was created with a set of rules to be followed and that set of rules is realatively balanced AS LONG AS people don't upset that balance by introducing hacks and cheats. Included among this is duping and Maphack. Those that say Maphack isn't cheating want to make their own set of rules.

Anyhow, I digress. I like to enjoy the full "experience" of Diablo, and that includes trading. If I find an otherwise valuable weapon that is substantially lowered in value by CHEATERS duping runes, etc., that directly affects my enjoyment of gameplay.

It would certainly be more difficult to complete certain powerful builds without all this duping going on, but isn't that part of the challenge of the game? It seems that many people would be happier buying Uber Characters off Ebay than to obtain items themselves. No wonder some accounts are being sold for outrageous prices!

My point is this: a ladder reset now will presently rid the ladder of duped items, and Blizzard has certainly reduced the potential of introducing new duped items. Those that want to continue pursuing their Uber Builds with their BOTDs and ENIGMAs are welcome to do so in the heavily-hacked non-ladder atmosphere.

18. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Very true that it would be back up in a month to the way it is.

But a constant reset will weed out the true players faster and keep it fresh for the die-hards.

There is NO REASON people should be getting PA'd with every character. There is NO REASON to skip Act 1 or 3, and jump immediately to Ancients. By resetting, it promotes untwinked play. The people that just HAVE to be godly 24/7 can play core, while those of us wanting to play nearly untwinked can play Ladder. This "going on five months" bullhocky ladder season is outrageous.

19. HelzCaretaker

HelzCaretaker IncGamers Member

along with a new ladder season, they should make a new patch. IMO 1.10 is totally messed up. Now instead of ww barbs and nova sorc's being the cookie cutters we have hammerdins/wind druids/skelemancers being the cookie cutters. 1st off some skills were way underpowered in 1.09 and some were powerful. So what did they do in 1.10? make some unused .09 skills and make them 1000x better giving them synergies out the @$$.

And here is my opinion on what they did right and wrong in 1.10:
    1st the wrong:
    giving character's ability to get skills not inherit to their class with runewords. charged items are fine but come on barbs teleporting give me a break.
    TOO MANY synergies and not rebalancing correctly. Wind druids and hammerdins are my 2 biggest examples of overpowered builds. 10k magical dmg and 4k tornadoes that hit multiple times per + a ton of them and a cold attack at same time? come on. Basically every class gets unfair synergies that makes it a bit how do I put this ALL #$%^* up.
    changes to synergies for each class should be either reducing the % each synergy adds or reducing amount of synergies that each skill gets. For example light sentry gets 3 synergies at 12% ed per pt which equals insane trap dmg. Hammerdins same thing.
    on to drops, 1st off being able to farm easy areas like pit is lame, make higher lvl monsters be stronger and in a4 and 5 hell not a1. Boss drops should be nerfed as well.
    PvP too many new builds gain huge advantages and a few tk tricks are just lame. also enchanting to gain massive ar takes a huge bite out of a high defense oriented build.
    Experience leeching and runs, basically all you need to do is get to normal baal at 25 and you can get to 50 before going to nm and 40 to 75 once in nm quite easy to leech good experience.
    change cows to completing the difficulty to enter
    some abilities are completely messed up, like energy shield my sorc takes no dmg yet her mana drops to 0 quite nicely done, along with cyclone armor these skills avoid resists so fighting a wind druid with elemental is pointless since my -150% resist all is non existent until their armor is gone. Wow make duels more 1 sided why don't they...

the good:
    monsters are stronger which makes it harder to solo with any class in 8 ppl game like I used to in .09 I can still do it but its harder.
    random monsters in baal runs makes it much harder with gloams and curse monsters.
    needing more quests to be completed before being able to advance makes pa'ing duelers a pain but pvm its needed.
    new runewords although most are overpowered
    forge drops in hell are better
    parties emphasized more not just 1 solo person annhilating everything with no one helping out.

now how do you change some of these things, its not hard doesn't take much time either. Bliz can make 1.10b or so and lower or remove certain synergies on overpowered skills, change monster lvls and remove properties from runewords and such. High lvl dueling is basically ruined since any1 can use 2 characters to counter any build there is.

Just my 2 cents

oh and ps. bliz needs to find a way to get rid of all mhers, at start of 1.10 my duelers would actually get fights, now the only characters that get fights are the 1's that I fight ppl outside of my range or dupers or using a scrappy character with good skills. (my 39 zon went toe to toe with a 32 druid dueler eth cracker and beat his @$$ using twitch sigs gloves/belt sanders boots 2 manalds rare ammy +3 ruby helm sig shield rare 28 dmg javs and has 700 life and 1 good skill attack ;)) she claimed 2 annoying pkers with ease which is quite fun (both lvl 20 both wouldn't fight my 16's)

20. AnubisXy

AnubisXy IncGamers Member

Yeah, but I don't want to run through untwinked every time for every character. Just because some people think that's the way it *should* be played, doesn't mean that everyone else shares that opinion. Look, I agree it's a blast running through untwinked, but I don't want to do it all the time. With a group of friends? Anytime, great fun. But what if I want to build a char fast, I have two pc's and self rush myself all the time. If I couldn't do that I doubt very much I would be interested in this game. In fact the HUGE timesink is what turned me off of Everquest, and it seems that some people want D2 to be like that so that only those who have all day every day to play will be successful. So no, I don't want a ladder reset. If public games and the state of b-net bother you, play private games with friends, it's as simple as that.