Rerolling Rares?

[cK]Extreme

Diabloii.Net Member
Rerolling Rares?

Is it possible to do?

6 Perfect Skulls + 1 Rare Item = 1 Random Low Quality Rare Item of the same type
You can use this formula to get another chance at a Rare Item of the same type. ilvl = int(.4 * clvl) + int(.4 * ilvl) Player level matters. This formula will not work on items larger than 3x2.

That confuses the hell out of me, anyone care to explain?

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the formula is set up to slowly reduce the iLvl the more times you reroll. It's silly if you ask me. Gambling is much better since you can always upgrade if you get something godly on a normal or exceptional quality item and the initial cost is nothing but gold. Save the skulls for rerolling GCs.

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
Control over ilvl can be useful however, and this is one of the very few recipes that lets you do that.

The thing to remember is that good items are not only restricted to uber items for clvl 99s. There are good items for brand new chars and for LLDs as well. And these need to be low level. And with this formula you can start with something higher and reduce it to exactly the level you want. You'd be surprised how long it might take you to find a rare War Axe of exactly ilvl 32 (which gives the best chance of rolling Massive+Warrior's+of Carnage on a WA) but if you find a higher level one it is just a matter of a bit of thinking and a few skulls to make one ilvl 32, and then continue to reroll it at that level.

sorcyone

Banned
Rare rings you find in high level areas or get from gambling are worth a reroll. Just one reroll then throw it away. Rings are especially good for this formula since the best attributes are available at relatively low levels. The highest desirable attribute is 7-9% mana leech at level 74 and seriously 6% mana leech is usually enough anyway . The point is rare rings can be godly at medium or low levels making them an excellent choice.
Items like amulets are bad for this formula since you miss out on +2 skills.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
I've actually been using this formula myself to try to craft a jewel with 15% requirements, and 30 light/cold resist for my singer's wizzys. If it came up with even one of those resists I'd be happy.

But, to explain - You take the ilvl of the item, and multiply that by 0.4, dropping any decimals you get. Then you take the level of the character crafting the item, and multiply THAT level by 0.4, again dropping the decimals. Add the two levels together, and voila, you have the final level of the crafted item.

As an example, I'll explain the jewel I was trying to craft. The 30 single resist mods on jewels are available at ilvl 19. From there until level 25, the only other mod that gets added that is available on rares, is mana/kill at level 22. So really, my target level for the final crafted item is anywhere from 19-24.

So. I go out, find a level 20 jewel. Seems reasonable enough, right? Now. I know that when I craft that jewel, it's level will be muliplied by .4, which means it will contribute 20x0.4 = 8 levels to the final jewel. I need to come up with 11 to reach my desired target level of 19.

Keeping ind mind that I require 11 levels, I work the character level portion of the equation backwards. Rather than trial and error, sticking different levels into a calculator, I will take the number of levels my character has to add (11) and divide it by 0.4 . Doing that, I get a result of 27.5 - so, a character of this level or higher (to a point, too high and I will overshoot it and add mods I don't want to the pool of available ones) will produce the desired final level of jewel. Since 27.5 doesn't really exist, levels are always whole numbers, I have to take the next one up. So, I will find a level 28 character, take that level 20 jewel, and when I craft it, it will be a level 19 jewel - thus having all of the mods I want available, and much fewer that I don't.

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Diabloii.Net Member
Where do you expect to get so much Perfect skulls?
1) There's only 10% chance for a dropped gem to be a skull. If you collect gems for magic reroll, you don't care, which type is it.
2) Noone specifically collects PSkulls. You can easily trade for multiple PGems, but it's unlikely anyone will have more than 1 or 2 skulls.
3) You need SIX PSkulls for a single roll, which seems to be a lot, taking into consideration their rarity.
If you don't count HF gem drops, you can only get Flawless skulls from monsters. 6 PSkulls = 18 flawless, 15k gold each, which gives us 270k gold for 6 PSkulls, if you don't collect them while you play, but sell imediately.
Want a good rare ring? Why not gamble for rings with this gold? 270k means 6-7 gambled rings, if you sell the junk you get. I'd say very good odds to get a rare ring.
So, I don't think rerolling rares is worth the effort put in it.

Oscuro

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
1) There's only 10% chance for a dropped gem to be a skull. If you collect gems for magic reroll, you don't care, which type is it.
Well, you can always just save the skulls for rares and use the rest for charms or something.
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
2) Noone specifically collects PSkulls. You can easily trade for multiple PGems, but it's unlikely anyone will have more than 1 or 2 skulls.
Usually, skulls are a part of "misc. pgems" that people trade in bulk. They work just fine in magic rerolling recipes, so most people don't care if they get skulls or gems. If you ask, someone may trade you a bunch of skulls instead of assorted pgems.
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
3) You need SIX PSkulls for a single roll, which seems to be a lot, taking into consideration their rarity.
You can also think of it as 2 magical rerolls.
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
If you don't count HF gem drops, you can only get Flawless skulls from monsters. 6 PSkulls = 18 flawless, 15k gold each, which gives us 270k gold for 6 PSkulls, if you don't collect them while you play, but sell imediately.
Want a good rare ring? Why not gamble for rings with this gold? 270k means 6-7 gambled rings, if you sell the junk you get. I'd say very good odds to get a rare ring.
You have ~10% chance of getting a rare (very slightly less), so the odds aren't really that great.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Oscuro said:
You have ~10% chance of getting a rare (very slightly less), so the odds aren't really that great.
It's exactly 1 in 10 AFAIK.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
So, I don't think rerolling rares is worth the effort put in it.
But try to get a +2 Assasin skills +3 Tiger Strike (elite) claw, or a +2 necro skills +3 RS/SM voodoo head without this recipe.....

Oscuro

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
RTB said:
It's exactly 1 in 10 AFAIK.
D'oh, I must have been thinking of how the chance of magicals is slightly less than 9/10 (due to the occasional set or unique).

SalivaMonster

Diabloii.Net Member
1. There are things you cannot gamble. Especially class specific items

2. If your level is high enough, the ilvl level off after a few reroll.

Example: ilvl 70 rare necro head, your level 90

#1 reroll:70*0.4+90*0.4=67

#2 reroll:67*0.4+90*0.4=62

#3 reroll:62*0.4+90*0.4=60

#4 reroll:60*0.4+90*0.4=60

At this level, say if it is a weapon, these mods are available, which for me is cool enough:

Strange +151-300 to Attack Rating Weapons(32)

Boreal +16-23 Minimum and 46-90 Maximum Cold Damage - 3 sec Duration Weapons(50)

Smoking +51-80 Minimum and 91-130 Maximum Fire Damage Weapons(47)

Arcing +1 Minimum and 261-360 Maximum Lightning Damage Weapons(60)

Toxic +150 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds Weapons(35)

Cruel +201-300% Damage Weapons(51)

Visionary + (1 Per Character Level) 1-99% To Attack Rating (Based On Character Level) Helms(35), Missile Weapons(35)

Fool's
+ (16.5 Per Character Level) 16.5-1633.5 To Attack Rating / + (0.5 Per Character Level) 0.5-49.5 To Maximum Damage (Based On Character Level) Weapons(50)

Grinding + (0.75 Per Character Level) 0.75-74.25 To Maximum Damage (Based On Character Level) Weapons(50)

Master's +151-250 to Attack Rating, Damage: +101-150% Weapons(56)

Elysian +201-300 to Attack Rating vs Demons, Damage: +151-200% vs Demons Weapons(45)

Hallowed +251-325 to Attack Rating vs Undead, Damage: +201-275% vs Undead Weapons(35)

Garnet Fire Resist +21-30% Amulets(18), Armor(18), Circlets(18), Orbs(18), Rings(18), Weapons(55)

Cobalt Cold Resist +21-30% Amulets(18), Armor(18), Circlets(18), Orbs(18), Rings(18), Weapons(55)

Coral Lightning Resist +21-30% Amulets(18), Armor(18), Circlets(18), [Orbs(18), Rings(18), Weapons(55)

Jade Poison Resist +21-30% Amulets(18), Armor(18),Circlets(18), Orbs(18), Rings(18), Weapons(55)

Valkyrie's +2 to Amazon Skill Levels Bows(50), Crossbows(50),Javelins(30),Spears(50), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Berserker +2 to Barbarian Skill Levels Axes(50), Barbarian Helms(50), Clubs(50), Hammers(50), Javelins(50), Daggers(50), Maces(50), Throwing Weapons(50), Spears(50), Swords(50), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Priest's +2 to Paladin Skill Levels Paladin Shields(50), Scepters(50), Hammers(60), Maces(60), Shields(60), Swords(60), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Necromancer's +2 to Necromancer Skill Levels Head(50), Daggers(50), Wands(50), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Arch-Angel's +2 to Sorceress Skill Levels Orbs(50), Staves(50), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Hierophant's +2 to Druid Skill Levels Clubs(50), Druid Pelts(50), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Witch-hunter's +2 to Assassin Skill Levels Katars(50), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)

Mechanic's Add 1-2 Sockets Body Armor(10), Circlets(10), Helms(10), Shields(10), Weapons(10)

Titan +16-20 to Strength Amulets(58), Belts(58), Circlets(58), Clubs(58), Hammers(58) Body Armor(74), Maces(74), Rings(74), Scepters(74)

Perfection +16-20 to Dexterity Amulets(59), Bows(59), Circlets(59), Crossbows(59),

Wizardry +16-20 to Energy Amulets(31), Circlets(31), Orbs(31), Staves(31), Wands(31)

Tiger +21-30 to Life Amulets(20), Barb Helms(20), Belts(20), Body Armor(20), Circlets(20), Dru Pelts(43), Shields(43), Clubs(51), Hammers(51), Helms(51), Maces(51), Rings(51)

Performance +9-14 to Minimum Damage Weapons(48),

Slaughter +15-20 to Maximum Damage Weapons(25)

Incineration Adds 10-20 Minimum and 21-75 Maximum Fire Damage Melee Weapons(43)

Winter Adds 5-9 Minimum and 16-50 Maximum Cold Damage - 5 sec Duration Melee Weapons(45)

Storms Adds 1-6 Minimum and 40-120 Maximum Lightning Damage Weapons(34)

Anthrax Adds 100 Poison Damage over 6 Seconds Weapons(33)

Lamprey 7-9% Life Stolen Per Hit Melee Weapons(55)[8-9%], Circlets(77)[7-8%], Amulets(85)[6%] Rings(77)[7-8%]

Vampire 7-9% Mana Stolen Per Hit Melee Weapons(56)[8-9%], Amulets(78)[7-8%], Circlets(78)[7-8%], Rings(86)[6%],

Quickness 40% Attack Speed Increase Melee Weapons(46)

Simplicity Requirements -30% Body Armor(25), Shields(25), Weapons(25)

Fast Repair Repair Durability (5) Armor(20), Weapons(20)

Unfortunately, +2 skill in ammy and Circlet cannot roll in this way. But for every 6 pskull, you are sure to have a brand new rare item of your choice.

Oscuro

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
SalivaMonster said:
Unfortunately, +2 skill in ammy and Circlet cannot roll in this way. But for every 6 pskull, you are sure to have a brand new rare item of your choice.
Note that diadems are an exception, they can gain any mod regardless of clvl or ilvl. This is because of the qlvl and mlvl (magic level) associated with all diadems.

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
SM, I'm afraid that ilvl is not the same as alvl. Sometimes they are equal (as in the case of amulets, rings, jewels and grand charms) but for most other items the alvl (which dictates which mods you can get) will be less than the ilvl.

The rule of thumb is to find out the item's qlvl (ilvls, alvls, qlvls, oh my) and use the formula alvl = ilvl - (qlvl/2).

So for example an ilvl 60 Long Sword (qlvl 20) can only get affixes up to alvl 50.
You need alvl 60 on a weapon to get Arcing, which will only happen on an ilvl 60 weapon if that weapon has qlvl 1 (the division rounds down). Which is just Short Swords, Clubs and Javelins (ie starter weapons).

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Thrugg said:
The rule of thumb is to find out the item's qlvl (ilvls, alvls, qlvls, oh my) and use the formula alvl = ilvl - (qlvl/2).
QUOTE]

Lets see we need a sticky that covers all these abbrevations

ilvl = item level
alvl = (area)affix level sometimes people use area not affix although they are two different things.
mlvl = monster level this is closer to an area level than using alvl to describe it.
qlvl = quality level I am not absoluty positive about that one but I think that is correct.

Thrugg these of course were not meant to help you since you might have created most of them(LOL jk). These were to just clairify the abbr.

Utilitarian

Diabloii.Net Member
quietus said:
As an example, I'll explain the jewel I was trying to craft. The 30 single resist mods on jewels are available at ilvl 19. From there until level 25, the only other mod that gets added that is available on rares, is mana/kill at level 22. So really, my target level for the final crafted item is anywhere from 19-24.

So. I go out, find a level 20 jewel. Seems reasonable enough, right? Now. I know that when I craft that jewel, it's level will be muliplied by .4, which means it will contribute 20x0.4 = 8 levels to the final jewel. I need to come up with 11 to reach my desired target level of 19.

Keeping ind mind that I require 11 levels, I work the character level portion of the equation backwards. Rather than trial and error, sticking different levels into a calculator, I will take the number of levels my character has to add (11) and divide it by 0.4 . Doing that, I get a result of 27.5 - so, a character of this level or higher (to a point, too high and I will overshoot it and add mods I don't want to the pool of available ones) will produce the desired final level of jewel. Since 27.5 doesn't really exist, levels are always whole numbers, I have to take the next one up. So, I will find a level 28 character, take that level 20 jewel, and when I craft it, it will be a level 19 jewel - thus having all of the mods I want available, and much fewer that I don't.
This is wrong but easily fixable, because after u roll the jewel, it will then only contribute 7, not 8 lvls. So after the first reroll, u must lvl up to 30 to retain the lvl 19 indefinitely. Incase ur wondering, im in school to become a math teacher...lol. Math saves u time.